Aircraft Instrument Panel Projects

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user Peter

Member for

24 years 8 months

And now for something completely different.
Instead of updating my older thread about the halifax panel, I thought I would Post some new photo's of my Halifax panel on an entirely new thread and invite everyone that has rebuilt a Instrument panel from a ww2 or modern aircraft to go ahead and post pics of their projects on here as well. :)

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

Can't find any other panel pics at present, how about a Defiant throttle box instead?

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

Great panels Herbert..!
682al what was the throttle box from?

Member for

24 years 8 months

[PHP]682al what was the throttle box from?[/PHP]

...specifically, it was from whichever Defiant was the Mk. II prototype. The serial number (cannot recall what it was...N...something or other) was pencilled onto the inside face of the removeable front panel.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Wow interesting..... quite a complicated bit of kit that..

Member for

24 years 8 months

thanks but I was hoping for people to post them on here

Member for

21 years 1 month

Nice panels folks, keep up the good work. Parts for projects must be getting a bit thin on the ground by now I imagine.

Member for

24 years 8 months

thanks but I was hoping for people to post them on here

Hi Peter,

I have no new photo's of the Halifax panel to show other than the ones you have already seen. But watch this space later in the year as with the new workshop and the 156 Hally drawings there will be some great progress planned. :)

Cheers

Cees

Member for

19 years 8 months

Hope this comes out ok....whilst not strictly just a panel, it gives some idea of the stuff I do. It is quite a bad phot but 100kb is nt much to play with...there all my excuses out the way! :rolleyes:

Member for

24 years 8 months

Awesome Alan - you lucky devil!

Can't find any other panel pics at present, how about a Defiant throttle box instead?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Err, forget what this bit is.... ;)

Attachments

Member for

20 years 6 months

Flying Barn Door ;)

Member for

20 years 2 months

Instrument Panel

Enclosed is a picture of a Percival Pembroke panel I have in my collection (this was posted on the previous thread). I'll ty to get some more pics posted of my other panels. Always good to see others!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Glad that the instrument panel experts have opened this thread because hopefully someone can answer the following question which has always puzzle me:

Have a look at the Spitfire panel in post #2: Why is the upper edge of the sub-panel with the six flying-instrument curved such that it does not match the straight edge in the cut-out in the main panel?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Hello Kenneth
The early Spit BFP (blindflying panels) were the rectangular Mk I 6A/616.
Later they were cut, so they´ve got the radius on the top "to facilitate installation when the panel is fitted closely to the contour of the cockpit"
(Taken from A.P.1275A Vol. I 1948). They were now called Mk IA 6A/760.
Later there was also the radiused Mk II 6A/1336 made of brass and swaged vertically and horizontally to increase rigidity. :D

What a strange discription but it might mean that with that radiused shape it was easier to mount/dismount. :confused:
Cheers,
Herbert

Member for

24 years 8 months

Aaah, I see! Thanks a lot!

Grüße nach Wien!

Thanks,
Kenneth

Member for

20 years 3 months

Merging Historic with Flight Simulation, here is how my Frasca mid-sixties instrument trainer simulating a Piper Warrior ended up.

It is a mixture of original instruments supplemented by modern versions and the panel instruments are slaved to Microsoft FS2004 which provides the scenery display (not shown but above the panel).

Apart from the VOR it all works!

(I did feel bad chopping up the original mechanical drives though)

regards,

Ian.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 3 months

PS For those eagle eyed amongst you please note:

1) The simulation was not running, hence some funny indications (eg Art Horiz vs Bank)

and

2) The extra airspeed indictaor has been replaced by the (working) RPM indicator
(I know, I know, it should be the standby altimeter but I prefer it my way!

Member for

20 years 2 months

Sea Fury

Here's a picture of my Hawker Sea Fury blind flying panel circa 1952. I managed to find this at Shoreham aerojumble last year void of instruments. Fortunately I managed to buy the Pilots notes and all the instruments on the same day at the said aerojumble, just goes to show that there are still some good finds to be had.