Aircraft Instrument Panel Projects

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Wow, that´s great!
I think I´ll manage to get to Shoreham on the 19th of march.
I´ll start a thread before, getting the faces to the names so we might meet each other arguing about who gets the nice parts ;)
Cheers,
Herbert

Member for

20 years 3 months

Canberra T22

Another find from Shoreham aerojumble about 3 years ago is this instrument panel from EE Canberra TT22 serial "WH903" operated by F.R.A.D.U. Again the panel was void of instruments and I have slowly built it up. Since taking this picture I have added the Rad Altimeter which is fitted on the top row. I am still uncertain to what the missing instrument is on the left row, it certainly isn't a MK6 standby horizon as the hole is to big. Any one with any knowledge of what it could be would be greatley appreciated. I have a few other panels in my collection and will try to get some more photo's submitted.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Hawker Hunter

Just remembered that I had this picture saved to my drive. Another one from my collection is a Hawker Hunter blind flying panel, this aircraft was operated by F.R.A.D.U. This one was purchased by me some time back from a private collector.

Profile picture for user Peter

Member for

24 years 8 months

great pics guys..! lets keep the thread going...

First one is the main panel refitted inside our lancaster. It was rebuilt by the late John Spinks and sat on display in the hangar. I rebuilt a second panel and installed it in the lancaster many years ago but it turns out that the one in the photo is the one that was fitted to our aircraft.

The second photo is of the main charging panel for our Lancaster MKX that had made at our metal shop you have to admit cad and high pressure water are great things!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Here are some of the drawings I brought back from the UK last week (and is also the cause that I am now at home with a bad cold (must have been those draughty London Undergroundstations).

Aren't they the most beautiful drawings, almost like art.

Cheers

Cees

Attachments

Member for

21 years 1 month

Typhoon Blind Flying Panel Question...

The blind flying panel in the hendon Typhoon (and I seem to remember the Duxford Cockpit aswell) has the curved top. In addition to this it has horizontal and vertical curves in between the instruments (probably not the best description ever!!!). I haven't seen this in any other panels and I certainly have never seen one for sale. Was this the 'Swaging' that puukka described on the Mk II 6A/1336 panel? What else were they fitted to and does anyone know where I can get one?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Blind flying panel "swaging"

Hi DaveR

I have seen this type panel on mosquitos as well. Curved top, with raised "Swaged" ridges inbetween the instruments. To create this sort of form in a panel, this thick, would need a heavy press/steel tooling to achieve. I have never seen one for sale.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Hi DaveR

I have seen this type panel on mosquitos as well. Curved top, with raised "Swaged" ridges inbetween the instruments. To create this sort of form in a panel, this thick, would need a heavy press/steel tooling to achieve. I have never seen one for sale.

Of the several b/f panels that passed through my hands over the years, the ridge swaged type were made of Brass and I would from memory say 16swg. or possibly 18swg. Quite thin and light, but strong and rigid by virtue of the swaging.

mark

Member for

20 years 6 months

6A/1336

This is the Mk II 6A/1336.
Well, I hope to find one at an aero market someday.
But I know as guy, who makes 1:1 replicas of the other two versions including engraving, if you´d only have to fill the hole.
Herbert

Attachments

Member for

20 years 9 months

I did not know that this type was made of brass, and considerably thinner than the aluminium type.

In the light of this information, it may be possible to make a press tool from several layers of cheap MDF, inlaid with steel wire (forming the male half of the swage form). The female half of the MDF tool can simply be routed with a rounded cutter, to match the same profile(allowing for material thickness).

Large diameter rod can be used to locate the two halves of the tool, then put in a flypress. I have done this on a similar application, and seems to work well. Ideal for the "cockpit builder" working on a tight budget, or for prototyping generally.

Member for

24 years 8 months

That's a nice looking throttle box! Hopefully will upgrade our similar throttlebox too soon. :)

Err, forget what this bit is.... ;)

Member for

24 years 8 months

I believe these were also used on Halifax's - a friend of mine found one a few years back on a hillside - scrunched up into a ball. He restored it and now it looks like new!

Hi DaveR

Member for

24 years 8 months

I believe these were also used on Halifax's - a friend of mine found one a few years back on a hillside - scrunched up into a ball. He restored it and now it looks like new!

Correct Elliott,

Having seen 682al's photo of the Whitley throttle box I now see where the engine operational limitation dataplate of N1521 needed to be fitted. I'm happy that it went to a good home.

Any pics of your Whitley panel yet?

Cheers

Cees

Member for

21 years 6 months

Another find from Shoreham aerojumble about 3 years ago is this instrument panel from EE Canberra TT22 serial "WH903" operated by F.R.A.D.U. Again the panel was void of instruments and I have slowly built it up. Since taking this picture I have added the Rad Altimeter which is fitted on the top row. I am still uncertain to what the missing instrument is on the left row, it certainly isn't a MK6 standby horizon as the hole is to big. Any one with any knowledge of what it could be would be greatley appreciated. I have a few other panels in my collection and will try to get some more photo's submitted.

Fly Buy. Resident Canberra expert LesB on here will probably give you the answers. Also his website is here:- http://www.bywat.co.uk/canframes.html
mmitch.

Member for

20 years 3 months

MMITCH
Thanks! Will drop him a line,
Regards
Fly.Buy.

Member for

19 years 11 months

At the risk of being booed off the forum. This is all I have at the moment. I think it is from a Eurocopter Squirrel. Can anybody confirm ?

We all have to learn some where. :) :) :)

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

Work on the Whitley panel has stopped for the moment while more pressing issues are dealth with - like the recent cruel hike of our workshop rent :eek: .

Correct Elliott,

Having seen 682al's photo of the Whitley throttle box I now see where the engine operational limitation dataplate of N1521 needed to be fitted. I'm happy that it went to a good home.

Any pics of your Whitley panel yet?

Cheers

Cees

Member for

20 years 3 months

Benboy,
Don't know what your instrument panel is from but you may or may not find the following websites useful for confirming your suspicions (incidently these are handy websites for cockpit photos for a vast variety of aircraft). Just click on the relevent search engines for each site select "cockpits/flightdecks" and then select the type of aircraft you are trying to look for. The web sites are as follows.

1) www.airliners.net
2) www.planepictures.net
3) www.jetphotos.net

These sites contain photos of historic and modern military cockpits/instrument panels as well as cockpits of modern commercal aircraft. Good luck!
PS. Does any one else know of any other good sites for military cockpits or instrument panels???

Member for

19 years 11 months

Thank you Fly.buy
I`ll get right on it.