Aircraft Instrument Panel Projects

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Most old British instruments use 4BA screws to secure them to the panel. Some of the bigger items might use a larger 2BA screw but the majority are 4BA.

They are usually countersunk, but some will have a round head.

By the 1960's there was a move to unify thread sizes (by Britain, US and Canada) and so UNC and UNF sizes started to be used.

If you get hold of a load of 4BA countersunk head screws of about 1" long though, you'll be able to fit most, but not all, older British instruments.

Thanks Mark - following your advice have bagged some bolts and have started to put my T-6G panel together -

All i need are 1) Large Temp Gauge 2) Large Manifold Pressure Gauge 3) Small Carb air heat temp gauge and 3) the large generic US combined oil/fuel gauge (three needle job)

Can anyone help? Otherwise I'm gonna have to ebay it again (yikes)

Tara

Member for

24 years 8 months

TT

The central instruments in the blind flying panel use 2BA screws if that helps. The rest are 4BA.

Cheers

Thanks Mark - following your advice have bagged some bolts and have started to put my T-6G panel together -

All i need are 1) Large Temp Gauge 2) Large Manifold Pressure Gauge 3) Small Carb air heat temp gauge and 3) the large generic US combined oil/fuel gauge (three needle job)

Can anyone help? Otherwise I'm gonna have to ebay it again (yikes)

Tara

Member for

20 years 6 months

Cheers Elliot!

Profile picture for user Peter

Member for

24 years 8 months

Looking good David!

Member for

20 years 6 months

I'm sorry David that was rude of me to blather on without ref to your post - superb!

Have you got a control column and pedals for her?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Yup - it just gets better and better.

DH Hornet F.1 Instrument panels

Member for

20 years 9 months

New parts available.

Sorry to not have replied sooner, Texan Tomcat.

Yes, I do have parts to make up the rudder pedals, including most of the pulley brackets located in the cockpit. Also, I have just had a new control grip cast. I have a lower column to attach it to, but currently lack the brackets to attach it to the floor. These will have to be cast from scratch, if I can find the drawings in time.

I have the only known throttle. It came from a fire dump. So it doesn't look great, but it is original.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Heres some shots of my T-6G panel - thanks to Olivier (NC900) I have the placarding right!

Member for

20 years 9 months

texan tomcat

great work!

Profile picture for user Peter

Member for

24 years 8 months

Great work TexanTomcat....!
Are you not missing the white line that runs around the main group of flight guages?

Guys When I get out west I will take a snap of my other instrument panels I have done. Please keep in mind though that this thread is not for Pilots panels only you can post flt engineer nav etc etc....
Great job and a big thanks to all that have contributed so far. Let's keep this thread going for as long as we can...!

Member for

19 years 7 months

Hi TexanTomcat,
Looks great ! please that help.
Olivier

Member for

20 years 6 months

You did Olivier! You see ours is an Algerian Veteran too - so the radio call placard was especially useful! Thanks again -

Hi Peter - not seen the white demarcation line on T-6 panels - have done on P-51 et al so have left it off..if i find a reference to it then will stick it on -panels with the line look pretty good though so i may lob it on anyway!

Member for

20 years 7 months

Vulcan panel

Has anyone done a Vulcan pilots panel ?

Either original or made one, or perhaps has one as a current project ?

I've just found a drawing Colin (Vulcan) Mears let me have, but i've a few questions that need answering before i cut metal.

Cheers.......

Member for

20 years 7 months

Yes. Have a look under the "Collections" section...

http://www.internationalcockpitclub.org.uk/gallery.php :)

Mark,

Sorry but i cant see it listed.

Heres the list from your link. :confused:

Instrument Panels
Boeing B-17 Flying Fortress
Dave Littleton
Consolidated B-24 Liberator
Dave Littleton
Focke-Wulf FW-190
Herbert Puukka - D-9
Handley-Page Halifax 57 Rescue - Mk.VII
Cees Broere - Mk.III
Avro Lancaster
David Taylor
North American P-51 Mustang Nick Majure - D
Supermarine Spitfire
Michael Clark - Mk.II
Tony Dyer
Herbert Puukka - Mk.IX

Member for

24 years 8 months

Ah, but it's cunningly concealed in the Collections section rather than the Panels section ;)

It's in Mark Templeman's section. He has a couple of complete Vulcan panels. I believe some panels are original and some are repros, but I can't remember which.

He also has a Vulcan windscreen and I've often suggested to him he should mount the whole affair on a frame as a sort of 'open-sided' cockpit display.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Aha... found it.

Now, if only he'd be more co-operative than his usual self :o

Attachments

Member for

20 years 3 months

Buccaneer Bits anyone?[U]
I'm trying to complete a Buccaneer instrument panel, I'm approx 70% there but the bits seemed to have dried up despite spending the last few years looking through aerojumbles and ebay. By chance does any one have any of the following parts?

Instrument Crate to house the main instrument panel.
Angle of attack indicator Ref No.6A/12287.
Standby Altimeter Ref No.6A/8977 (MK27).
Main Altimeter and Rate of Climb Indictor Ref No.6TD/1042363.
ASI.Ref No...6TD/1041269

Many Thanks in anticipation of any help.

Member for

20 years 5 months

AS57 Ambassador Panel Pic

Enclosed are a few more pictures of some panels in my collection, the first two are front and rear Meteor T7 instrument panels. Since taking this photo the missing rate of climb instrument has now been attached to the front panel. The latter panel is the switch strip fitted across the main instrument panel to an Airspeed Ambassador. Incidentally does anyone out there have a cockpit photo of the Ambassador?

A bit slow, but here's the only pic I could find right now. It's most likely of one of the prototypes, perhaps G-ALFR the production prototype. The photo is an Airspeed publicity shot, from page 170 of DH Middleton's Airpseed (1982).

There is film of Capt Gilmore in the cockpit of a BEA AS57 circa 1952 in the ITN / Pathe archive (also his Avian). A still is attached - it costs £25 + VAT to get the nice oranage stuff of the pic.

The last shot is totally off-topic and is a still from a 1951? colour film in the same archive... couldn't resist posting it

Attachments

Member for

20 years 3 months

Ambassador Panel

Ray,
I have sent you a PM, Thankyou very much the pictures were very helpful!

Dear All
Just on another note I've enclosed a picture of another panel I've come across, which I hope will be my next project. Its from the Percival Aircraft Company (P.A.C pained on the rear) but does anyone know what type of aircraft its from. Don't use the instruments as a guide as I'm sure some have been put in there to fill in the gaps. Its not a Pembroke or a Sea Prince as I have these in my collection and they are not one of the same, incidentally I have enclosed a Pembroke panel to compare against (Perhaps its a earlier variant of Pembroke???) Any help would be gratefully appreciated.....Thanks!