London Airport in the 1950s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 11 months

I don't remember Starliners as freighters. On North Side the freighters were usually Yorks and DC-6A's. You also got the odd Comet 2 and the sole Comet 3 there too. I remember the ripple of excitement going through my school, which was just across the A4 Bath Road from North Side, when the pink tail of an Overseas National DC-6A was spotted in central area. Lunchtime saw a flood of spotty youths with scopes foregoing the delights of secondary school dinners to spot it!

A pink tailed ONA 6A. Never saw that, wasn't old enough but I do have a pic of it somewhere (Brian Stainer or Gradidge not sure which).

Starliners started on PAX 1957 - 60. 707's became exclusive then but the 1649's served as freighters in to LAP until 1964 according to Peter Marson.

Member for

11 years 11 months

this is taxing my brain,
the North side enclosure with the Dragon Rapide, I seem to remember it was 10/6 in the early 50s, standing beside a York and thinking the wheels were enormous, I loved the Hermes it looked elegant along side an Canadair C4, the sound of the Stratocruisers going to full throttle for take off,

then moving to the enclosure in the central area, jam sandwiches, Convair 240/340/440, BEA Daks, Viscounts, Fred Olsen Viscounts, and of course the first visit of the PanAm 707

sorry this has brought back all sorts of memories, does anybody remember the cafe at Hatton Cross?

You've reminded me that I saw the 1st DC-8 to visit LAP (In Douglas house colours). I watched the departure from that Central viewing enclosure...it was very smokey. Can anyone verify the reg for me. I may fudge it up in my log book (but that only starts proper on 22/10/60) I only underlined in the gen book before that.

Member for

11 years 11 months

this is taxing my brain,
the North side enclosure with the Dragon Rapide, I seem to remember it was 10/6 in the early 50s, standing beside a York and thinking the wheels were enormous, I loved the Hermes it looked elegant along side an Canadair C4, the sound of the Stratocruisers going to full throttle for take off,

then moving to the enclosure in the central area, jam sandwiches, Convair 240/340/440, BEA Daks, Viscounts, Fred Olsen Viscounts, and of course the first visit of the PanAm 707

sorry this has brought back all sorts of memories, does anybody remember the cafe at Hatton Cross?

Yes to the last question! My recollection during the late 40s early 50s was 7/6 for round the airport and 10/6 up the Thames to Tower Bridge and back. Those flights would have been 1948/9 and then 1950/51. 10/6 is about £17 at today's values so still incredibly cheap. Classic Flight charge £39 for their Rapide flights, I think.

Member for

15 years 4 months

BANUPA

I too visited LAP to see the competitors for the England to Australia air race. I remember seeing the Canberra, but always assumed it was an RAF one. There was a Viscount too and I think a Hastings?

I photographed the Viscount too - see below. All the competing aircraft were allocated race numbers as seen on the tail of this Viscount and my earlier photo of the Aussie Canberra.
ISTR there were about four or five Canberras, with an RAF Canberra winning the race. A KLM DC(6?) also took part with a full load of pax for New Zealand I think.

http://i145.photobucket.com/albums/r231/thawes/NZAirRaceViscount2.jpg

Member for

13 years 6 months

Yes to the last question! My recollection during the late 40s early 50s was 7/6 for round the airport and 10/6 up the Thames to Tower Bridge and back. Those flights would have been 1948/9 and then 1950/51. 10/6 is about £17 at today's values so still incredibly cheap. Classic Flight charge £39 for their Rapide flights, I think.

When I had my flight in a Rapide at LAP, it was from the central area, where Terminal 1 now stands. I'm pretty sure it was 7/6d. Apart from the reservoirs, I can't honestly say where the flight took me. It must have been around 1955 when I had my trip.

Member for

18 years

nice memories, putting a face to the voice, back to jam sandwiches, sunny days,

aaahhh

Member for

21 years

A KLM DC(6?) also took part with a full load of pax for New Zealand I think.

KLM DC-6A PH-TGA "DR. I.R.M. Damme" was the winner in the handicap-section of the London - Christchurch race. A few years ago a movie ("Bride Flight") was made, which was situated around the participation of the KLM DC-6A in that race. For this movie G-APSA was painted in the 1953 livery of KLM's PH-TGA.

http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/Jur_photo/GiantsFlyin_2007-09-01_203.jpg

airmail cover carried on the original 1953 London - Christchurch flight by PH-TGA
http://i205.photobucket.com/albums/bb167/Jur_photo/ChristchurchRace.jpg

Member for

16 years 1 month

Here's a view I've not seen before from the Northside control tower of the first BSAA Lancastrian service on 1Jan1946 and a crop showing some housing? behind the Harlington Police Station which must have been demolished as the Northside was expanded.

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/A30yoyo/LAPnorth1946a900.jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/A30yoyo/LAPnorth1946b900.jpg

Member for

11 years 11 months

Wonderful pictures. A fleet of black cars ( Wolsey's? ) and the classic film cameras on tripods on the roofs of the camcars! Pathe News, probably. Presumably recording that inaugural service.

Member for

18 years

there's a Dak lurking behind the Lancastrian

I trying to get myself orientated, where's the Bath road?

Member for

17 years 10 months

You're looking east so the Bath Rd is to the left. Great shots.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Great pics!
Why did LHR get rid of the north side? Is it because parking aircraft so close to the bath road wasn't really desirable as planes got bigger?

Member for

11 years 11 months

Only a guess, but when the Central Area was built and the Terminals were designed to accommodate all passenger movements in the Central Area it would have been logistically complex to have retained another Arrivals/Departure area away from the main area. And tunnel access would have been required so I suppose it was not really considered either viable or necessary.

Member for

11 years 11 months

Beaut of a pic from the old tower...haven't seen it before. Very nice. Thanks for posting.

Great pics!
Why did LHR get rid of the north side? Is it because parking aircraft so close to the bath road wasn't really desirable as planes got bigger?

Only a guess, but when the Central Area was built and the Terminals were designed to accommodate all passenger movements in the Central Area it would have been logistically complex to have retained another Arrivals/Departure area away from the main area. And tunnel access would have been required so I suppose it was not really considered either viable or necessary.

The whole of the North side area was only ever conceived as temporary measure until central was completed. The buildings were temporary ministry style huts throughout apart from the famous concrete terminal.

And your observations about available tarmac is quite valid. Even the starliners and DC-7c's stretched the facilities and by 1959 when 707's and DC-8's were taking over i believe 7 or 8 of these would take up most of the stand pace. I doubt if more than 3 747's could have been shoe-horned in to the North ramp. I guess a terminal might have been built over the top of the A4. I wonder when they first realised that terminals 4 & 5 would be needed.

Member for

16 years 1 month

The long-range services (and KLM short-range) did stay in the 'temporary' Northside terminal for seven years after the Europa/(now T2) terminal opened in the central area in April 1955....don't really know why, there was plenty of room in the Central. After what is now T3 opened (1962?) foreign cargo ops remained in the Northside until the Stanwell Cargo terminal opened in 1969, then the Northside was used for temporary aircraft parking (e.g. BKS) until the BAA developed the site (mid-70s?) with a hotel and relaid the perimeter road along the Northside taxiway (thus making LHR smaller as far as aircraft were concerned :))

Member for

11 years 11 months

Connie/Longshot...thanks for that additional info. I had forgotten that Northside was in use for so long - I had moved away from the area and my visits were fairly infrequent after about 1960.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Thanks for the info guys. Much appreciated! I was born in 1984, so never saw the north side in operation!

Member for

16 years 1 month

Here's another view of the 'tent city' at the Northside ca. 1946 (houses straddling the Bath Rd), a map section dated 1967 (unfortunately resolution of the Northside terminal is lost) and a view from the Northside tower ca. 1952....I think the houses I referred to as being behind Harlington Police station were nearer to Harlington Corner and some survived behind the Telephone Exchange as airport buildings. The concrete-work where the taxiway met 28R seems to have been altered since the 1946 photo

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/A30yoyo/LAPnorthtents.jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/A30yoyo/LHRmap1967.jpg

http://i809.photobucket.com/albums/zz20/A30yoyo/LAPnorth1952ish.jpg

Member for

15 years 7 months

Brilliant!
Where did you get that map from, Longshot?