London Airport in the 1950s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 4 months

Just to prolong this thread, I worked for a contracting firm, from an office close to Heathrow, in the late 1960's.

One day I was taken into what I think was a brand new hangar specially built for BA's 747s.The 747 had not yet arrived here, but there in the middle of the hangar stood a 747 !!

It was explained to me that this was a plywood cut out ! Built and painted by a film studio special effects dept and was being used to check the access equipment etc for the engineers who would service them.

Walking round it, of course it was obvious, but the first impression when one entered the hangar from the right door was absolutely convincing.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Many thanks for that info Vulcan. I take it when that facility opened that's when BEA moved its ops from Northolt?
I guess this building was soon over shadowed by the later BOAC sheds?
Are any of these buildings still about?

BEA moved ops from Northolt to Heathrow around 1954-5. The BOAC HQ building was begun late 1950 & in use by 1955. One later BOAC hangar was the cable-stayed Wing Hangar close to the A30, built 1954-6, used by Britannias initially (with tails external through wrap-round doors) before being extended in early 1960s both sides for VC10s.

To answer Peter Verney's thread, the BOAC 747 hangar was built May 1968-March 1970 & was the first dedicated 747 maintenance hangar in the world. It was the world’s largest two layer diagonal grid structure including the two largest all tubular welded girders. It was extended, doubling its' size by early 1973.

Member for

15 years 6 months

BEA moved ops from Northolt to Heathrow around 1954-5. The BOAC HQ building was begun late 1950 & in use by 1955. One later BOAC hangar was the cable-stayed Wing Hangar close to the A30, built 1954-6, used by Britannias initially (with tails external through wrap-round doors) before being extended in early 1960s both sides for VC10s.

To answer Peter Verney's thread, the BOAC 747 hangar was built May 1968-March 1970 & was the first dedicated 747 maintenance hangar in the world. It was the world’s largest two layer diagonal grid structure including the two largest all tubular welded girders. It was extended, doubling its' size by early 1973.

I should have added that the original BOAC Owen Williams HQ is extant, as are the 747 hangars, but the Wing Hangar has gone, as has BEA Phase 2 2x5 bay set.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Have you considered putting your splendid photos on a permanent site, JETFLAP? Brian Doherty's shots are going onto Air Britain's ABPIC site , many from Heathrow when he worked in the BOAC Kremlin there

It hadn't occurred to me to do that. Thanks for the suggestion.

Member for

12 years 4 months

Hallo ,

A British sports team ( 9 members in total ) flew from London Airport to Copenhagen on 27 or 28 April 1952 , they were on their way to Warsaw , but there were no direct flights to Warsaw then , they then flew on to Warsaw from Copenhagen.
I have a few questions I'd like to ask if I may ?

Which airport would they have flown from ?

Can anyone tell me which plane they would have flown in ?

Would it have been a normal commercial flight ?

Am I right in suggesting there were no direct flights to Warsaw from London at that time ?

How long would the flight to Copenhagen have been ?

And the connecting flight to Warsaw ?

Thanks and hope you can help , I know nothing about these matters and thought I would consult with experts.

Member for

24 years 8 months

London-Heathrow to Copenhagen-Kastrup as a regular, commercial flight possibly by an SAS DC-4, DC-6 or even a Saab Scandia or a BEA Viscount.

Copenhagen-Kastrup to Warsaw possibly by a LOT Ilyushin IL-12 (there's a picture on airliners.net of one in Copenhagen taken in 1952).

Member for

12 years 4 months

Thanks , Kenneth , very much appreciated.

Member for

16 years

1952 might have been a bit early for a Scandia or Viscount?....Viking, perhaps. Was this for the British Cycling team led by Ian Steel who won the 'Peace Race' Warsaw-Berlin-Prague?

London-Heathrow to Copenhagen-Kastrup as a regular, commercial flight possibly by an SAS DC-4, DC-6 or even a Saab Scandia or a BEA Viscount.

Copenhagen-Kastrup to Warsaw possibly by a LOT Ilyushin IL-12 (there's a picture on airliners.net of one in Copenhagen taken in 1952).

Member for

12 years 4 months

1952 might have been a bit early for a Scandia or Viscount?....Viking, perhaps. Was this for the British Cycling team led by Ian Steel who won the 'Peace Race' Warsaw-Berlin-Prague?

It was indeed , how did you guess ?

Are you interested in this event ?

Member for

16 years

Not much into sport...just Googled 'British Team 1952'....there isn't much about the event online considering Britain did so well...possibly because it was behind the Iron Curtain...also I believe the British Cycling world was split into rival factions at that time

Member for

12 years 4 months

I had the info on dates etc all along , the team flew from Northolt to Copenhagen on 25 April 1952 , woould they have flown by BEA ?

They then flew from Copenhagen to Warsaw on 26 April , would they have travelled to Warsaw by LOT Airlines ie would LOT have then had a monopoly ( excluding the USSR , obviously ) on all flights into Poland ?

Thanks for the assistance on this.

Member for

11 years 11 months

LAP North

I just found this site and thread while googling LAP North Side. Just had to get on here and share.

I was a spotter with the North mob 1959 - 64. Every saturday and Sunday I would take a Thames Valley bus (service B) from Maidenhead to LAP (3 Magpies). Always got there at 8.15am and usually i was the 1st one there. The visitor area then was a small square of metal fencing with metal chairs (usually wet).

I loved these times and have many memories of my spotting mates, indeed still in touch with some.

I have made a 200 scale of the Northside ramp and littered it with retro propliners. Here's a pic and and a photobucket link.

http://s1167.photobucket.com/albums/q638/conniefreak/London%20Airport%20North%20model%20200%20scale/

Graham (aka Tom from Maidenhead)

Attachments

Member for

15 years 11 months

Oh those wonderful days at Heathrow, or LAP, as we knew it, when there were no terrorist threats and the roof gardens could be enjoyed to the full with no need for a telephoto lens as whistling Viscounts screamed up close to you or you caught the whiff of smoke from a starting DC-6 or DC-7.....ah those were the days and here I am aged 11 taking a break between filling in my Ian Allan Civil Aircraft Markings book.

Attachments

Member for

18 years 8 months

Thats a great model! I had a base board made up, just a tad smaller though so I could display some of the Viscounts i'd bought over time, I then had my brother in law make it into a coffee table.... Missus not keen on it but hey ho! :p

Member for

16 years 6 months

Graham, here's a long shot for you-on 15 August 1961 I saw a C-46 Commando at LAP which may have been 4X-***.Did you by any chance log one about that time?
Jim

Member for

11 years 11 months

Oh those wonderful days at Heathrow, or LAP, as we knew it, when there were no terrorist threats and the roof gardens could be enjoyed to the full with no need for a telephoto lens as whistling Viscounts screamed up close to you or you caught the whiff of smoke from a starting DC-6 or DC-7.....ah those were the days and here I am aged 11 taking a break between filling in my Ian Allan Civil Aircraft Markings book.

I can echo your post practically word for word but the B/W photo is long gone, sadly! Wonderful days indeed!

Member for

24 years 8 months

AMB, don't forget the duffle bag and jam sandwiches - and the lady who used to broadcast a running commentary on what was coming in next.

Member for

24 years 8 months

If only I could have afforded colour. :)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/S6b-LHR-PeterArnold01a.jpg

Member for

21 years 6 months

I went there in the 50s on a school trip. It always amazes me even now that all there was between us and the 'live' apron were those metal barriers. I can remember Sabena DC-3s and the new Britannia.
mmitch.