London Airport in the 1950s

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

Thanks Jet flap et al, real memories. Regret I did not have a camera, and spotting logs have long since disappeared. I do recall an Air France Dak landing on a taxiway in thick fog, I think we've had this mentioned before in an earlier thread

Ref post 12 :
Look at the Ambassador is that an Ensign being flown whilst taxying ???
Look behind the Air France Viscount, isn't that the Rapide (that caused this Thread) ???

Member for

19 years 8 months

Found this on Airliners, hope the copyright owner does not mind me putting it up on here :

Member for

17 years 1 month

Here are a few taken sometime in the mid-50s.

Excellent colour shots, you can just see the original tower in the right hand side of the two middle pics.

the long span BEA maintainance buildings in the background of your next shots where a revolutionary design at the time, being amongst the largest clear span concrete buildings of the era.

Nice personal pics there Peter, hard to believe that local met, is still done like that.

I take it that the road and tunnel in the last shot is taken from the 'Queens' terminal end looking north?

Member for

16 years 6 months

Beautiful pictures!
Jim

Member for

16 years 10 months

Yes some lovely pics guys, especially the two Viscounts.. you can almost hear them whistleing along the peri-track.

Incidentally, the brown marking on the fins of the Ambassador.. is that muck from the Centaurus engines?

It certainly is! At start up, a flicker of flame would often leap back 30 feet. I remember the Dan Air ones doing so at Ringway.

Incidentally, when did Croydon close as London Airport? I remember there was some of the Tower left at Croydon in the eary 70's. Or was I seeing things?

Member for

17 years 1 month

Incidentally, when did Croydon close as London Airport? I remember there was some of the Tower left at Croydon in the eary 70's. Or was I seeing things?

Almost exactly 50 years ago, September 1959. The combined tower, terminal and hotel survives and is kept in very good order.

Member for

14 years 11 months

Thanks Jet flap et al, real memories. Regret I did not have a camera, and spotting logs have long since disappeared. I do recall an Air France Dak landing on a taxiway in thick fog, I think we've had this mentioned before in an earlier thread

Ref post 12 :
Look at the Ambassador is that an Ensign being flown whilst taxying ???
Look behind the Air France Viscount, isn't that the Rapide (that caused this Thread) ???

Wow, you must have retained those "spotters" eagle eyes. Do you mean the blue blur in the middle distance?

Member for

16 years 6 months

I've found the log of my next visit to LAP in 1959 when I did the bus tour (with the cleanest bus windows in the world!). Unfortunately still no film and I didn't record aircraft I'd already seen!
Jim

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks for those extra gap-fillers Laurence - I couldn't read them all off at the time! (I think G-ANUD is a typo though as G-ANUD was a Tiger Moth?).
I didn't bother re-recording G-AOTI at the time presumably as I'd already seen it at Hawarden in 1956! I do remember seeing it after that though!
Jim

Member for

15 years

I know its slightly earlier IE late 40s, but I went to Athens in 1948/9 from London Airport which was then situated at Northolt. There were just rows of huts and thats all.

The air fare according to my late father who was a farm worker was over a years wages if not a lot more. I accompanied my mother to Greece and was aged 6 months.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Sorry Jim. You are quite right. Finger trouble. G-ANUP was the cocooned Skyways Constellation. I have edited my original post!
BTW, I still have my logs for sightings at LAP in the 50s, but maybe that is not of much use to anyone.

Laurence

Member for

16 years 6 months

Cheers Laurence,
Were there any other outdoor storage aircraft at that time? Was G-ANTZ stored then? I know that it was given a US reg (N106Q) at the same time (Aug 1959) as NTX,NTZ AND NUC.
Jim

Member for

16 years 6 months

G-ANUP seemed to get about a bit. I have it stored at Gatwick in 1962 as well as at LAP earlier,
Jim

Member for

18 years 6 months

Hello again Jim.

I did not see NTZ. The only Stratocruisers I recorded in July 1959 were NTX, NUA, NUB. Maybe there were others that I did not see.

As to NUP getting to Gatwick, I assume Skyways de-cocooned it at Heathrow and made it airworthy for the ferry.

Laurence

Member for

16 years 6 months

Thanks Laurence;perhaps NTZ was stored at Gatwick or elsewhere?
Jim

Member for

18 years 6 months

For those of us too young to do proper plane spotting in the 50s, there was always this chap to keep one company at Heathrow. Note on the back says September 1958.
I'm the one on the right, by the way!

Attachments

Member for

15 years 4 months

I know its slightly earlier IE late 40s, but I went to Athens in 1948/9 from London Airport which was then situated at Northolt. There were just rows of huts and thats all.

The air fare according to my late father who was a farm worker was over a years wages if not a lot more. I accompanied my mother to Greece and was aged 6 months.

Northolt in those days was for BEA flights to Europe, Heathrow was for long range flights and miscellaneous people.

Member for

15 years 6 months

Excellent colour shots, you can just see the original tower in the right hand side of the two middle pics.

the long span BEA maintainance buildings in the background of your next shots where a revolutionary design at the time, being amongst the largest clear span concrete buildings of the era.

Nice personal pics there Peter, hard to believe that local met, is still done like that.

I take it that the road and tunnel in the last shot is taken from the 'Queens' terminal end looking north?

The BEA hangars were built in two phases, the visible set from Central area was the first, built 1950-3, intended for Ambassadors/Elizabethans & Viscounts. I believe them to be the first prestressed concrete hangars in UK, it was certainly the largest in plan area at the time. Done as two parallel sets of five 180ft wide bays, they had thin prestressed concrete roof beams spanning 110ft back to front on to massive prestressed concrete beams over the 150ft x 30ft clear doors. The contract was won by competitive tender, each of the 20 contractors having three months to prepare, design & price their scheme. Alan Harris the chief design engineer criticised the BOAC HQ being built to the East as it was reinforced concrete & could have used prestressed more, but Owen Williams was a dedicated reinforced concrete believer.

Member for

17 years 1 month

Many thanks for that info Vulcan. I take it when that facility opened that's when BEA moved its ops from Northolt?
I guess this building was soon over shadowed by the later BOAC sheds?
Are any of these buildings still about?