Russian stunt pilots to fly through cave in China

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 9 months

Russian stunt pilots to fly through cave in China Tue Feb 28, 12:27 PM ET

A team of Russian pilots will reportedly fly fighter jets through a narrow cave in central China in a tourist stunt that will cost people up to 840 dollars to watch.

The Russian air force jets, including advanced Sukhoi Su-30s and Su-27s, will fly through the famed Tianmen Cave in central Hunan province on March 17-18, the Hunan Daily said.

The cave, which resembles a rock archway, is only 57 meters (188 feet) wide at its widest point and 28 meters wide at its narrowest, it said.

The cave is about 280 meters long and 130 meters high, and according to the China Daily, "is the highest water-eroded cave in the world".

Local officials are hoping to reap huge profits from the March event with 20,000 tickets on sale for up to 6,800 yuan (840 dollars) each, the China Daily said.

Publicity and ticket fees from a similar event in 1999 helped generate 2.5 billion yuan (308 million dollars) in tourism revenues over the next three years, the press reports said.

Organizers have already paid 52 million yuan to put on the upcoming event, including 2.7 million yuan for insurance, the Hunan Daily said.

The event is part of the "Year in Russia" celebrations in China.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

24 years 7 months

The stunt is freaking nuts! What are they hoping to accomplish?

Member for

24 years 7 months

Not crashing into the rocks? :D

Somebody damn well better film this!

Member for

20 years 1 month

What an awesome thing to do, it has inspired me to do something stupid.

Member for

20 years 7 months

What an awesome thing to do, it has inspired me to do something stupid.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

Member for

20 years 1 month

:eek: :eek: :eek:

I'm still thinking about what I might do :diablo:

Member for

24 years 7 months

While this is interesting - and I can't wait to see the photos/videos - may I make a couple of points?

1. At 28 metres at it narrowest point, the cave is still twice the width of a Su-27 (span 14.7m)

2. There is no 'team of Russian pilots' flying Su-30's - the only 'team' flying Flankers is the Russian Knights with Su-27's.

3. There is another team - 'Team Rus' - but they fly L-39's - and they aren't 'fighter jets'. That would make a more realistic scenario.

4. A hole in a rock is not a 'cave'!! - "an underground enclosure with access from the surface of the ground or from the sea" :diablo:

Be interesting to follow this story though...........

Ken

Member for

18 years 10 months

what is the slowest speed of a Su27 ? the problem is similar to driving a car at X kmph through a hole which is 2x the car's width. it gets more difficult as the X increases but racing drivers comfortably manage at 250kmph to maintain such "lane discipline".

nobody is claiming to fly at 600kmph thru this hole. imo they will do this comfortably enough.

Member for

19 years 1 month

Bloody awesome! can't wait to see some pics or videos.
However it is not a huge chalange for the russian display pilots.
Doing the Cobra while flying through it, well that's a chalenge:)
would that be something or would that be something???

Member for

19 years 7 months

Bloody awesome! can't wait to see some pics or videos.
However it is not a huge chalange for the russian display pilots.
Doing the Cobra while flying through it, well that's a chalenge:)
would that be something or would that be something???

It would be something: It is called : Spectacular Suicide :diablo: :dev2:

Member for

19 years 1 month

It would be something: It is called : Spectacular Suicide :diablo: :dev2:

you think so?!
well it is only one way to find out, come on guys (the russian pilots if you reading this by any chance), prove him wrong!!!:)
ok ok, if the cobra's too much, how about inverted? or ok at least knife edge?

Member for

24 years 7 months

It is reported on another forum that the 'stunt pilots' are the Russian Knights - flying Su-27's.

Now these guys are good - be they aren't suicidal !!!!

It must be perfectly do-able - otherwise they wouldn't undertake such a 'stunt'.

It is a bit like the Red Arrows 'crossover' in their Hawks....

From the side, it looks like the two planes almost collide - and the crowd goes 'wow !!'

But seen from above (where the crowd cannot see), the two planes are quite a few metres apart - and perfectly safe.

Although having said that the Knights aren't suicidal..............

At an airshow at Tushino a few years back, I watched the Russian Knights display. They did their usual routine - finishing up with a downward 'bomb burst' - with all the a/c flying off in different directions.

I had put my camera away at this point - and was in the middle of a large crowd.

As I craned my head to see this 'bomb burst' - the Flankers disappeared below the heads of the people in front of me - so they were out of sight.

Then one of them suddenly appeared over our heads from in front - and I kid you not - at no more than 50 feet.

There were gasps from the crowd as we ducked - and the Flanker then went 'knife edge' between two apartment buildings on a ridge behind us - then climbed away and headed back towards Kubinka.

Following a few seconds stunned silence, a mighty roar went up from the crowd - followed by cheering and applause.

It left a big impression on me - so flying through a hole in a rock should be a doddle for the Knights.

Ken

Member for

19 years 9 months

Anybody speaks French?

What does this say?

I guess is the Su30 and Su27 will fly through the hole side by side?

http://fr.cctv.com/program/journaldelaculture/20060228/100494.shtml

Les voltigeurs russes bientôt en Chine

cctv.com 06-02-28 10:46
2006 marque l'année de la Russie en Chine et de nombreuses activités sont au programme. Les plus proches sont deux spectacles d'acrobaties aériennes très attendus, prévus pour les 17 et 19 mars à Zhangjiajie et Tianmenshan, dans le Hunan. Un avant-goût avec Wang Botao.

Pour leur représentation en Chine, la Russie enverra deux de ses meilleures équipes d'acrobaties aériennes : les fameux Chevaliers russes et les acrobates de l'Institut russe des Vols d'Essai. Les Chevaliers viendront en Chine à bord de 5 avions de combat Su-27 et présenteront des vols en formation, tandis qu'un Su-30 et un ravitailleur Il-78 de l'Institut feront des pirouettes dans l'espace chinois.

Les Chevaliers russes ont une place importante dans l'univers des acrobaties aériennes mondiales avec des avions lourds. L'Institut russe des Vols d'Essai, quant à lui, possède un des meilleurs avions de combat au monde, le Su-30. Plus de 200 médias chinois et étrangers couvriront l'événement. 6 télévisions et sites Internet, dont CCTV, la Télévision centrale de Chine, ont prévu la retransmission en direct de ces événements. Wang Botao, CCTV.

Rédacteur: Baiyun Origine

Member for

19 years 9 months

Well, the hole is beckoning

Well, the hole is beckoning

http://image2.sina.com.cn/bj/upload/38/1076/20051028/537/107572/107587.jpg

Member for

24 years 7 months

As I craned my head to see this 'bomb burst' - the Flankers disappeared below the heads of the people in front of me - so they were out of sight.

Then one of them suddenly appeared over our heads from in front - and I kid you not - at no more than 50 feet.

There were gasps from the crowd as we ducked - and the Flanker then went 'knife edge' between two apartment buildings on a ridge behind us - then climbed away and headed back towards Kubinka.

Following a few seconds stunned silence, a mighty roar went up from the crowd - followed by cheering and applause.

It left a big impression on me - so flying through a hole in a rock should be a doddle for the Knights.

Psychos!

I just hope nobody gets killed when they do the 'cave' stunt. I think you have to be an incurable (or terminal) adrenaline junkie to do this sort of thing for a living.

Member for

19 years 4 months

I would so love to see this!!!!

Member for

21 years 1 month

Sounds a bit like the chase sequence from ID4...

Member for

20 years 11 months

Overly risky stunt.

I mean that is a perfectly good hole. Who knows what kind of damage a big Flanker could do to natural rock formations of this sort?

Member for

19 years 9 months

Yeah ... sonic booms.. extremely high decibels.. buffets .. and not to mention the high risk of an untoward incident.
However, the Russian pilots were the pioneers in doing the 'face-to-face' (i.e 2 jets screaming towards e/other and pass through within a few ..er yards of each other at high speeds). Of course, these stunts are passe nowadays but they were the first !! I wont be surprised if they take the entire length of their a/craft through the hole (pun intended).

Cheers
p2p4

Overly risky stunt.

I mean that is a perfectly good hole. Who knows what kind of damage a big Flanker could do to natural rock formations of this sort?

Member for

18 years 11 months

Anybody speaks French?

What does this say?

I guess is the Su30 and Su27 will fly through the hole side by side?

http://fr.cctv.com/program/journaldelaculture/20060228/100494.shtml

Les voltigeurs russes bient?t en Chine

cctv.com 06-02-28 10:46
2006 marque l'ann?e de la Russie en Chine et de nombreuses activit?s sont au programme. Les plus proches sont deux spectacles d'acrobaties a?riennes tr?s attendus, pr?vus pour les 17 et 19 mars ? Zhangjiajie et Tianmenshan, dans le Hunan. Un avant-go?t avec Wang Botao.

Pour leur repr?sentation en Chine, la Russie enverra deux de ses meilleures ?quipes d'acrobaties a?riennes : les fameux Chevaliers russes et les acrobates de l'Institut russe des Vols d'Essai. Les Chevaliers viendront en Chine ? bord de 5 avions de combat Su-27 et pr?senteront des vols en formation, tandis qu'un Su-30 et un ravitailleur Il-78 de l'Institut feront des pirouettes dans l'espace chinois.

Les Chevaliers russes ont une place importante dans l'univers des acrobaties a?riennes mondiales avec des avions lourds. L'Institut russe des Vols d'Essai, quant ? lui, poss?de un des meilleurs avions de combat au monde, le Su-30. Plus de 200 m?dias chinois et ?trangers couvriront l'?v?nement. 6 t?l?visions et sites Internet, dont CCTV, la T?l?vision centrale de Chine, ont pr?vu la retransmission en direct de ces ?v?nements. Wang Botao, CCTV.

R?dacteur: Baiyun Origine

:) I'm trying:

Russian flying stuntmen soon in China

Year 2006 signs the year of Russia in China, and many activities are planned. The closest are two very awaited air show, planned for march 17 and 19 in Zhangjiajie and Tianmenshan, in the Hunan [Province]. A foretaste with Wang Botao

For their show in China, Russia sends two of its best air acrobatic teams the famous Russian Knights and the acrobats of the russian test flight institute.
The Knights will come in China with aboard 5 Su-27s combat aircrafts and will display close-in fdormation flightswhile a Su-30 and an Il-78 tanket from the Institut will pirouette in chinese airspace.

The russian Knights have an important place in the universes of world air acrobatic with heavy aircrafts. The Institute of fly tests possess one of the world's best combat aircraft, the Su-30.

More than 200 chinese and foreign medias will follow the event. 6 Televsion [channels] and internet sites, including CCTC, the Chinese Central Television, have planned a direct broadcast of the events. Wang Botao, CCTV.

Writer: Baiyun Origine

Voil?, hope that's clear enough... ;)
________
F1 640

Member for

20 years 1 month

If you seek inspiration you could always watch some Jackass or Wildboyz... :D

hmmmmm......:D