Russian stunt pilots to fly through cave in China

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 8 months

Such things are simply crazy. Anybody who allows an airforce pilot to fly a million dollar jet through such a hole should be punsihed for unnecessarily risking state property without any need.

Member for

19 years 9 months

Are the planes going to be flyed by their pilots or by the plane's computer?

To be honest the only thing I believe we will see is - of course - the courage of some pilots and the autopilot of the russian industry.

Such achievements were impressive in the -much more romantic - past.

Member for

19 years

At an airshow at Tushino a few years back, I watched the Russian Knights display. They did their usual routine - finishing up with a downward 'bomb burst' - with all the a/c flying off in different directions.

I had put my camera away at this point - and was in the middle of a large crowd.

As I craned my head to see this 'bomb burst' - the Flankers disappeared below the heads of the people in front of me - so they were out of sight.

Then one of them suddenly appeared over our heads from in front - and I kid you not - at no more than 50 feet.

There were gasps from the crowd as we ducked - and the Flanker then went 'knife edge' between two apartment buildings on a ridge behind us - then climbed away and headed back towards Kubinka.

Following a few seconds stunned silence, a mighty roar went up from the crowd - followed by cheering and applause.

It left a big impression on me - so flying through a hole in a rock should be a doddle for the Knights.

Ken

I think I was at that Tushino show, was one of the team flying a normal blue camo Su-27? I certainly remember the knife edge pass between the apartment blocks...

I also remember in 1993 being on top of the hangar at Zhukovsky. You should remember this as well, Ken, when the Knights were doing their display. We were a long way up and there was no quick way down. The Knights pulled up en masse and headed vertically upwards and suddenly the sky was filled with these bright lights. A few months earlier I had seen the two MIGs collide at Fairford and seeing these lights made me think that couple of aircraft had collided and that the bits would start raining down on us. I have to say my heart stopped for what seemed quite a while until I realised it was only them firing off star shells......

Member for

24 years 8 months

I just wonder why the authorities, both Chinese and Russian, would allow this to happen.

Member for

18 years 7 months

if the hole is large enough....its doable...im crazy enough to try it

flying straight through, or invetered isnt a challenge if you have good enough clearnce.....pass thru it doing aleron rollz, now you are talking

Member for

24 years 8 months

I just wonder why the authorities, both Chinese and Russian, would allow this to happen.

PR stunt. That is something no westenr competitor will every be able to match, simply because they would never be allowed to try. It is like the displays of the Russian Knights, they are amazing, but western teams would never be allowed to do some maneuvers after the disaster at Rammstein. Imagine a western pilots flying between to apartment buildings, I bet that would be his last flight for the rest of his life.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I think I was at that Tushino show, was one of the team flying a normal blue camo Su-27? I certainly remember the knife edge pass between the apartment blocks...

I also remember in 1993 being on top of the hangar at Zhukovsky. You should remember this as well, Ken, when the Knights were doing their display. We were a long way up and there was no quick way down. The Knights pulled up en masse and headed vertically upwards and suddenly the sky was filled with these bright lights. A few months earlier I had seen the two MIGs collide at Fairford and seeing these lights made me think that couple of aircraft had collided and that the bits would start raining down on us. I have to say my heart stopped for what seemed quite a while until I realised it was only them firing off star shells......

I remember that !!!

I also nearly got blinded - I was following the progress of one of those Su-27's - looking through the camera viewfinder.

As I was tracking him, he went directly in front of the sun - and I got an eyeful of direct sunlight!!!

I was blind for a few seconds afterwards !!!

That was the year the Su-27's from the 'Test Pilots' were doing tailslides directly above us - on top of that rickety structure on top of the Myasischev hangar!

Were you with us at Monino? - when I told our Russian veteran guide - via our lady interpreter - about the MiG-29 collision at Fairford - and how one of the pilots had supposedly thumped his colleague after the K-36 letdown and broken his jaw.

The veteran laughed - and said "that is what we call a Russian de-brief"! :eek:

Ken

Member for

18 years 7 months

makes sense :D :diablo:

btw...anyone has a video of the flanker going thru the 2 building...or a link..a pic....

Member for

21 years 1 month

I think this stunt is more a show, and as such, proves how desperate Russia needs money for its airforce. Would be interesting to know how much they are paid for…

As for precise flying, to touch down in the middle of a runway means you have to be within plus/minus 5 meters. This – if the hole is 57m wide and a Flanker has a span of some 15 m – would still leave at least 16 m on your side.

What would cause me more sorrow are the local winds, gusts and turbulences!

Member for

19 years 1 month

I think this stunt is more a show, and as such, proves how desperate Russia needs money for its airforce. Would be interesting to know how much they are paid for…

As for precise flying, to touch down in the middle of a runway means you have to be within plus/minus 5 meters. This – if the hole is 57m wide and a Flanker has a span of some 15 m – would still leave at least 16 m on your side.

What would cause me more sorrow are the local winds, gusts and turbulences!

LOL, yeah...I think you are right. With the money earned from this stunt they`ll have enough money to pay Russian AF! Maybe after paying for everything Russian AF needs....they`ll have enough left to buy some new aircraft.

Do think before you post this kind of nonesense!

Member for

19 years

I remember that !!!

I also nearly got blinded - I was following the progress of one of those Su-27's - looking through the camera viewfinder.

As I was tracking him, he went directly in front of the sun - and I got an eyeful of direct sunlight!!!

I was blind for a few seconds afterwards !!!

That was the year the Su-27's from the 'Test Pilots' were doing tailslides directly above us - on top of that rickety structure on top of the Myasischev hangar!

Were you with us at Monino? - when I told our Russian veteran guide - via our lady interpreter - about the MiG-29 collision at Fairford - and how one of the pilots had supposedly thumped his colleague after the K-36 letdown and broken his jaw.

The veteran laughed - and said "that is what we call a Russian de-brief"! :eek:

Ken

Do you remember the An-74 that did the barrell roll? That was some show and it's a great pity that it is not as 'exciting' as that any more.

Yes, I was at Monino as well but probably following my own path..

Member for

19 years

makes sense :D :diablo:

btw...anyone has a video of the flanker going thru the 2 building...or a link..a pic....

I don't think there was a video of the event unless it's on my video at home but there were various pictures taken that day.

http://aeroweb.lucia.it/~agretch/Tushino97/index.htm

Member for

18 years 7 months

kool...thanx

Member for

21 years

Between buildings?

I hope it was BEFORE the mass deaths from the Su-27 in Liv, Ukraine. I think that was in 2002.

Because if they were doing that after Lviv, it's downright irresponsible.

Member for

19 years

It was 1997 at Tushino and it was only one of them.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Here comes the bird... :p

http://i2.tinypic.com/rkn50z.jpg

Member for

19 years 10 months

...scheduled to fly through a natural mountain arch seen in the picture known as Heavenly Gate Mountain, in a stunt flight Friday.

That's today! wait for the picture of the moment coming out later. :D

Member for

20 years 9 months

The stunt is freaking nuts! What are they hoping to accomplish?

something that USAF,USN and others accomplishes through Hollywood :p