Russian stunt pilots to fly through cave in China

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years

Looks like after they saw the hole, thought it over and decided better of it.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2006-03/17/content_4314665.htm

Russian aircraft not to fly through tourist mountain hole
www.chinaview.cn 2006-03-17 21:56:16

ZHANGJIAJIE, March 17 (Xinhuanet) -- Russian aircraft will not perform any stunt of flying through a tourist mid-air mountain hole in Zhangjiajie, central China's Hunan Province.

The information was released at a press conference Friday before the aerobatic show was launched.

The decision is made out of consideration on ecological and environmental protection, since heavy aircraft can cause powerful air current when flying low, that might damage both the aircraft and the cave, according to the Russian stunt team at the conference.

More

Member for

19 years 2 months

and everyone had their panties in bunch. :diablo: :diablo: :diablo:

ouch!! that hurts. :p :p

Member for

24 years 8 months

I can see where this is going now.....

Either ......

they are a bunch of foolhardy, irresponsible, reckless pilots for even thinking about attempting it in the first place and are condemmed by the rest of the aviation communuity ...

OR

they are a bunch of wussies, for first agreeing to do it and then wimping out after seeing the hole.

Either way they can't win...........

I wonder if the team - or the pilots themselves - actually ever seriously contemplated doing the stunt - or was it the Russian or Chinese PR machine that set up the story - and, in effect, 'dared' them to do it.

It would be interesting to get to the truth...

Ken

Member for

19 years 10 months

and everyone had their panties in bunch. :diablo: :diablo: :diablo:

ouch!! that hurts. :p :p

Absolutely nothing cheerful for you, what we have missed for all mankind is a possible human record to challenge yet another nature limit. While for the human life and ecological and environmental protection reasons, we do in no need to risk such a stunt. Anyway, even in some unchallenged flights, tragedy of still happens anytime, any occasion, see what’s the news today:

Two die in Indian aerobatic team crash

TWO pilots who were part of a popular Indian Air Force aerobatic team were killed today when their aircraft crashed during a training exercise, a military spokesman said.

Member for

24 years 8 months

At leasr some sense prevailed. There was nothing to gain from doing it apart from some bacho bravado getting their kicks.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Absolutely nothing cheerful for you, what we have missed for all mankind is a possible human record to challenge yet another nature limit. While for the human life and ecological and environmental protection reasons, we do in no need to risk such a stunt. Anyway, even in some unchallenged flights, tragedy of still happens anytime, any occasion, see what’s the news today:

Two die in Indian aerobatic team crash

Hey Pinky Sweety. Please get a life :rolleyes: :*

All my post intended to convey was, "Dil ke Arma aa-suon mein behe gaye."

Mine included.

Member for

21 years

So they didn't fly through the hole.

But still some nifty pictures.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

Vairy eeenteresting.......................

The first & second photos above are of an LII/Gromov Flight Research Centre Su-30..

I wonder if it has TVC....??

Ken

Member for

19 years 5 months

Vairy eeenteresting.......................

The first & second photos above are of an LII/Gromov Flight Research Centre Su-30..

I wonder if it has TVC....??

Ken

you were at the MAKS05, has it been displayed there? IIRC the only one fitted with TVC was the no.595 , Su-27. But since 2003, things could change.... :o

Member for

24 years 8 months

More shots, one from CNS photo and the other from tops81bbs.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

you were at the MAKS05, has it been displayed there? IIRC the only one fitted with TVC was the no.595 , Su-27. But since 2003, things could change.... :o

I took these at MAKS 2005 - it is the ex-Test Pilots machine with a single Salyut AL-31F faturing a TVC nozzle. This is a rival design to NPO Saturn's AL-31FP..

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/visits2-pages/moscow_2005_files/day_04_15.jpg

Note that the TVC nozzle is fitted to the port side only.....

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/visits2-pages/moscow_2005_files/day_04_16.jpg

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/visits2-pages/moscow_2005_files/day_04_17.jpg

I carelessly neglected to take a photo - or make a note of - the bort number....

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/visits2-pages/moscow_2005_files/day_04_18.jpg

Bort 595 was in the flying display - I THINK this machine has two Salyut TVC engines - but I am getting confused now! :confused:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/visits2-pages/moscow_2005_files/day_05_34.jpg

Ken

Member for

24 years 8 months

This is a photo I took of 595 at MAKS 2003 - at that show it had a SINGLE Salyut AL-31F with TVC...... :eek:

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/visits_pages/maks2003_files/su-30lii_01.jpg

I think it goes like this.....

MAKS 2003, bort 595 in LII/Gromov colours in the static display has a single TVC engine.

At some point it is fitted (AFAIK) with TWO TVC engines - this is how it appears at MAKS 2005 - in the flying display.

In the meantime - another machine in ex-Test Pilots colours (Red/White/Blue) bort unknown(?) appears at MAKS 2005 in the static display - again with a single TVC engine.

What is going on ??

Ken

Member for

19 years

This is a photo I took of 595 at MAKS 2003 - at that show it had a SINGLE Salyut AL-31F with TVC...... :eek:

MAKS 2003, bort 595 in LII/Gromov colours in the static display has a single TVC engine.

At some point it is fitted (AFAIK) with TWO TVC engines - this is how it appears at MAKS 2005 - in the flying display.

In the meantime - another machine in ex-Test Pilots colours (Red/White/Blue) bort unknown(?) appears at MAKS 2005 in the static display - again with a single TVC engine.

What is going on ??

Ken

I have the MAKS static one as SU-27LL 598 (37820 painted on the seat side)

Member for

19 years 5 months

What is going on ??

Ken

Ken, these are stills from video I made on the MAKS2003. Next to the Su-27LL No.595 there was a large screen with a nice SALYUT presentation running on it. Did you remember it?... :) I would say the No.595 has been equipped with TVC nozzles on both engines already before the MAKS2003.
However, I`d suppose that the TVC nozzle fitted on the port side only (No.595 on MAKS03, No.598 on Maks05) has to be a kind of mock-up TVC nozzle driven by an external power supply, just for the airshow. Note the shiny metal on the TVC nozzle petals, I think these petals have never seen a thousand degree hot exhaust gases. Compare the left TVC nozzle with the right one. The starboard engine nozzle has always been oxidized and burned dark.
Anyway, did the 595 use the TVC during the display? How it looked like when compared to the Su-30MKI?
thanks
Martinez
P.S. on the video they showed the right engine asembly into the No.595, and some scenes from the day and night TVC tests.

Member for

19 years 5 months

....another two pictures of the No.595 on Maks2003.

Attachments