Korea's KF-X: News & Discussion

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

13 years

That Su-30MKM outperfirmed what ever was offered for F-18E for RMAF in 2002. I am sure the high power ZHUK outperform the single engine fighter AESA.

Member for

15 years 8 months

The APG-79 AESA which is currently on the Superhornet was not available in 2002 as OPEVAL started in Dec 2006 for the APG-79.

Initial Super Hornets had the Classic Hornet's radar for Block 1 which is what likely was used to compare to the Su-30MKM.

Am I surprised that a very large phased array ESA outperformed an older MSA, no... But that's not the issue we're talking about.

Member for

13 years

smaller AESA radars not much effective untill this point whether it is in fighter or AWACS. look at the definition of next generation fighter. MIG always had the correct approach to fighters. I have more confidence in MIG29SMT than anything else in that category.

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2017/06/23/business/23reuters-airshow-paris-russia-mig.html
Tarasenko dismissed the importance of grouping jets into "generations," and said the MiG-35 was already "stronger, smarter and more versatile" than fourth-generation jets, but not as expensive as fifth-generation aircraft that can evade radar.
"It will be barely noticeable on the radar - due to the reduction of the reflecting surface, the special radio-absorbing coating, and electronic radio-suppressing equipment," he said

Tarasenko said Russia was already working on new aircraft that would be "smarter, faster" and with increased range and a higher top ceiling range.

Member for

15 years 8 months

lol... It's an F-16-sized AESA.. in fact the APG-83 (SABR) was chosen as the radar for the next version of the F-16 (ie Block 70).

Sorry to burst your bubble but older Russian tech (ie a Mig sized MSA) is not going to beat newer US AESA tech, especially since the APG-83 is derived from the F-35's APG-81 (90% software mode compatibility).

Member for

13 years

F-16 is consider small size like Gripen. Those MSA radars continously upgraded. or do you think they not updating software.

Member for

15 years 8 months

If software was able to overcome the benefits of 3 generations of AESAs then they would never have invented AESA.

Member for

13 years 11 months

[ATTACH=CONFIG]254372[/ATTACH]

Officialy KAI did submit to potential buyers of A50(or now FA50) air to air capability that can be augmented for BVR capabilities. Thus enable FA50 to be equiped with AIM 120. However this is only the potential, and it depends on each customers to choose to be equiped with or not.

Just like when BAE offered for HAWK 200 to be equiped with AIM 7, but in reality the customers (Indonesia and Malaysia) never opted to make their Hawk 200 to be equiped with BVR AA missiles, and choose to make their Hawk 200 for more ground support oriented.

KAI did presently have talk with Indonesia in offering FA50 as Hawk 200 replacement. They see it as natural progression since Indonesian AF used Hawk 200 after they choose Hawk 53 as LIFT. Since now the LIFT function in Indonesian AF has been replaced by T-50i, then KAI hoped to get contract for FA-50 as future HAWK 200 replacement.

All this shown FA50 aim in market is as Light Fighter candidate, so it's bit far to expect FA50 can be in similar function as Mig29 SMT in all sense. However as Mig 21 replacement for Croatia..I see it more to compete in'economics' of operating it compared to larger F-16 or Mig 29.

Attachments

Member for

13 years

If software was able to overcome the benefits of 3 generations of AESAs then they would never have invented AESA

yup Israel is installing those AESA radars on hundreds of F-16 despite among first to put AESA on AWACS. Even French are upgrading M2K with AESA radar. India also following them with AESA upgrades to M2K. did i miss Sweden and its Meteor qualification without AESA radar on Gripen. and it is nothing compared to Ruaf MIG-29SMT with latest radar and IRST.

http://www.migavia.ru/images/MODELS/MiG-29SMT-782cButowski.jpg

first understand what is happening in practical world. look all those F-18/F-15/B-1/B-52/A-10 flying around in Middleastern wars.

Member for

14 years 1 month

As SpudmanWP mentioned, I was referring to written material ad brochures from KAI about integrating BVR weapons (in particular, the Derby missile) to the FA-50, I assume that they had integrated it by now but it looks like they're waiting for the customer to opt for augmenting the FA-50 rather than the other way around. I think it's a bit foolhardy to enter a fighter tender competition in 2017 against the F-16 and Gripen without beyond visual range capabilities "out of box"? Perhaps this is Lockheed's way of keeping their "side project" on a leash, so it wouldn't interfere with F-16 sales? Finalizing Derby or AMRAAM capabilities would certainly HELP the FA-50s chances, but as ananda pointed out, it's being used as a way to keep costs down to $30 million per aircraft. It's really a trade off, making the aircraft more capable but increasing costs would scare off budget conscious customers, but keeping the FA-50 a solely WVR fighter may hurt it's sales potential to air forces looking for a more capable as well.

In Croatia's case, while they are obviously "Budget conscious", they must also balance out national defence needs vis a vis their regional rival, Serbia, who are rebuilding their own air force.

Member for

15 years 8 months

first understand what is happening

Lol.. All of the top Western military powers are switching to AESA, as is Russia with the T-50, Mig-35, SU-35, etc... But a software updated Mig-29 MSA is comparable???? :very_drunk::stupid:

Member for

13 years

Those aircrafts are not with weak engines and small nose like old F16

Member for

15 years 8 months

Engines have nothing do with radars and don't get me started on historical Russian Engine performance. :stupid:

Member for

13 years

yup with under power engines ,small nose and overworked airframes you are going to produce competitive fighter to MIG29 which is second to none in combat performance. Russian engines are always superior and less maintaince intensive . Look at sortie rates of Su-24/Su-25.

Member for

14 years 8 months

@ SpudmanWp

here it's not about the radar's capabilities but rather that right now, the FA50 has no BVR weapons integrated apparently.. so regardless of its radar, it can't shoot anywhere further than what the Sidewinder can go

what's more, Serbia is even more broke than Croatia (well, both are, in fact), so they should not be able to build a significant air force anyway... especially in order to attack a NATO country)... on that linked page there's also this other link:

https://www.vecernji.hr/vijesti/rusija-srbiji-poklanja-mig-ove-tenkove-i-borbena-vozila-vucic-to-ce-dramaticno-poboljsati-sposobnosti-nase-vojske-1137290

where basically they explain that Russia gives Serbia 6 used Migs 29 (to be fully modernized for more or less 200 million dollars), 30 tanks and 30 combat vehicles in the name of "slavic brotherhood". hardly to be considered as a serious threat.. except for those who need a threat to justify their own policy, that is... ;)

Member for

15 years 8 months

@TooCool.. You are correct and I am sorry that I got distracted.

Member for

12 years 8 months

The Single and Dual seaters are parallel variants of the C108. C107 becomes C108. (Beginning from the very rough, F-35 benchmarked C103 to the final C109)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254672[/ATTACH]

As seen by the above image computer models and wind tunnel testing is helping to improve the design of the aircraft from the canopy and intake to the overall size.

Attachments

Member for

12 years 9 months

Interesting the way they are testing the Aesa radar?
[ATTACH=CONFIG]254673[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

12 years 8 months

May be a technology issue (not able to modify a dedicated test-bed aircraft), cost issue, or time issue. It's technically not 'the Aesa Radar' to go on the KF-X it's a smaller 4~500 TRM hardware prototype to validate the antenna/TRM design by 2019.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Lol.. All of the top Western military powers are switching to AESA, as is Russia with the T-50, Mig-35, SU-35, etc... But a software updated Mig-29 MSA is comparable????

They are not.. most of the western powers go for an AESA radar with a new gen aircraft, mostly because there are no F-35s or Super Hornets being offered without AESA, anymore.. but the low segment of the hi-lo mix is still being well served with mechanical arrays - look at all those new built F-16 Block 50/52s flying in Egypt, Chile, Morocco, Poland, Greece, Israel or Oman.. I'd say it's rather sensible to have a cheap fighter on offer without AESA.. still plenty of time to upgrade later when the price of TRMs has dropped down significantly..