The Battle of Britain 1969 film

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years

Hi
Just seen on the the UK tv channel 4 this afternoon 16 August this the film The Battle of Britain.

Original post

Member for

18 years

Battle of Britain film

Hello
Forgot the time its on at 16.20.

Member for

16 years 10 months

always a classic - technically it stands still today with the effort they put into the flying sequences (dodgy Stuka models not withstanding !)

Member for

18 years 1 month

Just bought a copy [ single disc DVD ] in Somerfield £3.99 cheap as chips

Member for

20 years 4 months

Great film and some classic lines.

To find out more i recommend battle of britain the movie by Robert Rudhall it is afine book a little out of date but goes to show the current warbird community would have been far poorer without it (ignoring Duxfords hangar though).

curlyboy

Member for

20 years 9 months

To find out more i recommend battle of britain the movie by Robert Rudhall it is afine book a little out of date but goes to show the current warbird community would have been far poorer without it (ignoring Duxfords hangar though).

There are actually two books on the film by my friend the late Robert Rudhall, and, produced in limited numbers, they are snapped up by those that rate them when they are seen - but they are costing a pretty penny: 85.00 and 200.00 pounds sterling on ABE at the moment.

Battle of Britain - The Photo Album (ISBN: 0953853934) Robert J Rudhall - Ramrod Publications, Worcester, 2001

Battle of Britain: The Movie - RUDHALL, Robert, Ramrod Publications, Worcester, 2000

Member for

20 years 4 months

There are actually two books on the film by my friend the late Robert Rudhall, and, produced in limited numbers, they are snapped up by those that rate them when they are seen - but they are costing a pretty penny: 85.00 and 200.00 pounds sterling on ABE at the moment.

Battle of Britain - The Photo Album (ISBN: 0953853934) Robert J Rudhall - Ramrod Publications, Worcester, 2001

Battle of Britain: The Movie - RUDHALL, Robert, Ramrod Publications, Worcester, 2000

I was aware there was two books but i found the movie book to be more in depth than the photo album one so that is why i recommended it, i got mine from the IWM Duxford shop about a year or so ago for £14.95 has it gone up that much in value:cool:

But it is probably better to name both books, the movie book i have is a 2006 reprint but the text has not been updated as for example it still says the CAF are still flying their HE-111 (CASA 2.111D) when it crashed in 2003 but it does not detract from what is a very informative book with some great photos and stories in it.

curlyboy

Member for

15 years 11 months

I love the subtitles for the German dialogue! Ever noticed that?

Peter

Member for

20 years 10 months

Yep, the two books are fantastic. I know the first was reprinted in paperback form, but not sure about the second one.

Member for

16 years 10 months

I got "Tora Tora Tora" for £1 and "The Great Escape" two DVD "special" edition, complete with flag of St George and temporary tattoos (for the kids...) for £3........ you know you just need it

Member for

20 years 9 months

I was aware there was two books but i found the movie book to be more in depth than the photo album one so that is why i recommended it,

The Photo Album was a follow up, using material that had to be left out of the original, and material brought to light by the publication of the first book.

i got mine from the IWM Duxford shop about a year or so ago for £14.95 has it gone up that much in value:cool:

Hmmm. Dunno. Second editions aren't ever as 'valuable' as firsts. I just did a search on www.Abe.com and those were the copies that came up.

But it is probably better to name both books, the movie book i have is a 2006 reprint but the text has not been updated as for example it still says the CAF are still flying their HE-111 (CASA 2.111D) when it crashed in 2003 but it does not detract from what is a very informative book with some great photos and stories in it.

That's why I mentioned both. Technically, a 'Reprint' doesn't have any new or corrected information in it. That would be a 'new edition'. (I'm in the book trade.)

As Robert died before the reprint was brought out, there was no chance of him revising it. It's good that it was made available again, I hope his widow received the royalties.

Regards,

Member for

16 years 10 months

It bugs me to think, that most of the Buchons used, are now just gathering dust in Big Springs Texas.

The film is great though!

Member for

19 years 7 months

Hi
Just seen on the the UK tv channel 4 this afternoon 16 August this the film The Battle of Britain.

Crikey, it sounds as if you've not seen it or even heard of it before? If so what did you think, having been watching it regularly for the past 40 years, starting off at the premier all those years ago, you get blase and too familiar with it, I'd like to hear a fresh comment.

I've had the special edition set for a while, including the great little contemporary documentary featuring Michael Caine, well worth a purchase.
Somewhere I have a paperback that came out more or less when the film was released, I think it's called, 'Battle of Britain, the making of the Movie', the cover being a replica of the film poster.

One question for all you oficianados out there regarding the destruction of the Hangar. The current hangars are I believe, listed Grade 2 on the preservation list, along with most of the buildings on the site. I often wondered whether any listing was in place during the period of the making of the film and whether the local authority were actually approached prior to it's destruction, from memory, at that time, the fine was next to nothing for the destruction of an historic building, certainly pocket money for a major film company, was anybody on here working for South Cambs Planning at the time?

Member for

21 years 1 month

It was also broadcast on the Channel 4 HD service in Hi Definition, only found that out when I switched over and caught the closing credits!!

Member for

18 years 4 months

I'm going to my local Somerfield in about an hour to get myself a copy too!

:D:D:D:D:D:D

Member for

17 years 9 months

I bought mine in the IWM shop at Duxford about 2000 and when reading it in the train back to london was surprised to see that it had Mr Rudhall's autograph in it. Excellent book.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

18 years 1 month

I got "Tora Tora Tora" for £1 and "The Great Escape" two DVD "special" edition, complete with flag of St George and temporary tattoos (for the kids...) for £3........ you know you just need it

yeah i got 3 DVD's at the time
Battle of britain
Great escape [ 2disc ]
The longest day [ presented in it's original black & white version so the blurb says ] all for £3.99 each as my wife works for the store she's under strict instructions to by anythihng aviation related !

Member for

19 years 3 months

It bugs me to think, that most of the Buchons used, are now just gathering dust in Big Springs Texas.

Well at least we have two at ARC for you to get excited about, one flying and one slightly less so at present...:)

Now, if I could just come up with an acceptable colour scheme for the latter one...;)

Member for

16 years 10 months

Well at least we have two at ARC for you to get excited about, one flying and one slightly less so at present...:)

Now, if I could just come up with an acceptable colour scheme for the latter one...;)

I have been excited about them for quite some time :D

Member for

16 years 10 months

how about genuine Spanish colours? as used in the Sahara maybe ?