The Battle of Britain 1969 film

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 11 months

If you have the BoB special addition, you can watch it with the entire William Walton soundtrack superimposed on it. Being used to the other one for so long, I'm not so sure that I like it, it's a bit too much throughout the whole film.

I tried doing that once but didn't go the whole way. I promise I will try the alternative score next time i watch it (which won't be long i'm sure).

Member for

18 years 6 months

Hi Tony,

I don't agree, although I think that the Goodwin score is one of his best, it turns the film into a bit of a 'Boys' Own Adventure'. The Walton score adds a gravitas more in keeping with the subject matter of the film (discuss).

And no it's not an age thing I was nine when the film was released, and it continues to be one of my favourites.

All the best,

Steve.

I've always thought of the Battle of Britain as a "boys own" adventure; it is often hard to see offensive operations as gallant, but an act of bravery in defence of the home land, and family, fought in the summer skies over southern England, coupled with the chance to be the fastest moving thing on earth (or above).

This in stark contrast to most other operations lasting many months, (if not years) in hostile weather and terrain, and often without enough food to sustain, let alone beer, and women.

Member for

19 years 3 months

My Dads favourie quote was always; ....

''Don't you yell at me MR Warwick.....''

Still has a affect on me now after all these years.

And he also liked, ''you can teach monkeys to fly better than that....''

I was also lucky enough to have one of Roberts books dedicated to my son.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Still has a affect on me now after all these yearS.

OH KEITH!!! I was going to use that quote as my next quiz. I'll have to think of another one now.

By the way - Susannah York shouted that to the bloke who was in 'it aint 'alf hot mum' coz she wanted to light a ciggy. :confused:

Member for

15 years 11 months

tacker tacker tacker tacker tacker!!!!!! :D

Member for

24 years 5 months

Oh, OK then! I say to myself, 'not another BofB thread, but.....

Has anyone ever acted out alternative lines to the film with similar saddos at airshows etc?

(ahem)
"Messerchmitts!"
"'einkels!"
"Messerchmitts!!"
"No they 'aint they're 'einkels.....hang on....yeh.....yer right....could 'ave sworn they were 'einkels..."

.....I'll get my coat.

Member for

18 years 4 months

You're not a fighter pilot!
Wot bout' ya top button?

nah..I'll get my coat too.

Member for

15 years 11 months

Well i'm sorry i don't spend my whole life looking at forums to notice that this has been done before.

My coats on and i'm out of here.....

Member for

18 years 9 months

The 'Battle' scene at the end doesn't have a different piece of music. William Walton wrote the original score and his music for that scene was the only part which survived into the theatre release. A lot of the rest of his score was re-working of his 'Spitfire Prelude.'

The 'cut' of BoB that ITV seems to have been showing the last few times also has another piece from the Walton score in it. At the end, when Dowding looks to the skies and credits roll, this version has the Walton 'march' that was used for the Heinkel inspection at the beginning with the 'full' Walton score - in the theatre release it was back into the main Goodwin 'Spitfire' theme at this point.

I am in two minds about the Walton score. 'Battle in the Ait' (I think it's called) remains for me one of the most powerful pieces of film set to music I have seen, and the march is suitably grand (in fact it sounds not a little like Walton's own 'Orb and Sceptre' that he composed for a coronation, I forget whether it was for George VI or Elizabeth II). However, the 'main' theme simply doesn't do it in the way that Goodwin's equivalent does. I agree that the Goodwin score does lend the film a certain 633-Squadron-esque air of derring do.

Member for

18 years 9 months

"Jawohl Herr Reichmarschall, geben Sie mir ein Staffel Spitfires"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

OK...just to make the "quiz" a bit more interesting here is the END of a line from the film:

".......where you will remain!"

What is the rest of the line and what is the scene?

Member for

20 years 10 months

I should know that one....!

Member for

16 years 1 month

My fav film of all time. I was an 8 year old when it came out and i was into ww2 and aircraft big time.

I too was into WW2 aeroplanes at the time (as I have been all my life, my dad had been taking me to air shows since I was a babe in arms) and was 16/17 when it was released, what with the coverage from another illustrated aircraft magazine I was eagerly awaitng its arrival at my local Odeon.

And another memory for those of my age. Do you remember the postcards from the film you could buy and then stick them into the photo album they also sold? I lost mine many years ago but recently got one from Ebay but missing one postcard.

I still have mine, with all the postcards attached - which I understand from a collectors point of view reduces its monetary value (so what).

Pan paperbacks also released a number of paperbacks to tie-in with the film (which Robert illustrates in his book) but they also produced one he missed, entitled Aircraft of the Battle of Britain by William Green. When I contacted Robert, eventually sending him my copy (along with a couple of others), he wrote to thank me on the back of one of those BoB postcards.

Member for

15 years 10 months

[SIZE="3"]Yep,

them were the days, I went into Melbourne with my dad for the first showing, I was 13 years old and grew up hearing my grandpa's stories about his time in the RAAF during WW2.

I used to save up and collect the Battle of Britain chewing gum cards, I started collecting and didn't stop!

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b74/milorgman/Sunderlandwatchesandwings.jpg

Susanna York it was (I don't remember if I thought she was an interuption to the aircraft sequences or a treat).

"You can teach monkeys to fly better than that, takatakatakataka"

Now my son loves to watch it on DVD with me!

cheers,

-John (a new guy here)

P.S. just for fun..........

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1823227570236753847&ei=gZO4SMvkKoyUjQKproToDA&q=RAF+banter&vt=lf[/SIZE]

Member for

18 years 6 months

OK...just to make the "quiz" a bit more interesting here is the END of a line from the film:

".......where you will remain!"

What is the rest of the line and what is the scene?

"This car will take you to your quarters"

Member for

18 years 4 months

"Jawohl Herr Reichmarschall, geben Sie mir ein Staffel Spitfires"

Sorry, couldn't resist.

I think something else that makes BoB stand out from many other WW2 films is that the Germans actually speak German! Instead of some pathetic attempt at adding an unconvincing German accent to the English being spoken.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Sorry Tony! I think there should be a plaque in the ground at Duxford where they stood..... Anyone know where? (I'll give you within 6'') and no, I don't know.

What about using the one where they have to fire a flare to stop the new recruit from landing with his wheels up..........?

Answers on postcard. (without watching the film again)

Member for

15 years 11 months

It bugs me to think, that most of the Buchons used, are now just gathering dust in Big Springs Texas.

The film is great though!

I have a plane graveyard on google earth but can't find these planes. Am I in the right place? Where are they?

[ATTACH]164932[/ATTACH]

Member for

24 years 5 months

Which is the reason that one of my cats is called Mr Warwick :D

At feeding time every day I have the opportunity to quote the movie.

Moggy

Member for

19 years 7 months

I have a plane graveyard on google earth but can't find these planes. Am I in the right place? Where are they?

[ATTACH]164932[/ATTACH]

No, thats Davis Monthan storage facility, they ain't going to leave Buchons rotting outside with B-52's are they, they're inside a hangar with engine parts stored outside, try the search facility on here, they were featured not too long ago.