The Battle of Britain 1969 film

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 11 months

It is fun to share with the yonger ones though Mike, as I am typing this my son (now 8) is sat on floor with a Aerospace Publishing Encyclopedia of Air warfare open - a few "ooh" and "arrs" - on a more serious note, I played the "education" card and dragged him off to Cosford etc - worked a treat. I know some forum members debate the Cosford set up, my lad loved it and learnt a lot on the day. We sat in the cuban missile crisis auido visual display a few times. Cracking day out.
Agreed. Not only is it fun but we have a duty to teach those youngsters willing to listen everything we can about ALL those who paid the ultimate price to ensure our freedom (sadly now being given away in ever larger chunks by politicians who lack the backbone to say no to Brussels).

Member for

24 years 5 months

Lovely shots.

The two seater with the smoke cans DO-L, is TE308.

The five blader front on view with no codes visible is RM689.

The five blader **(DO)-N will be XIX PM631 if that is a wrap around non armoured windscreen.

The DO-D with pair is not the familiar RM689 as it has an aerial mast. It looks to be the adjacent Spitfire to N in the line up. Not a code I have seen before on a four blade flying Spitfire. A little more investigation needed. :)

Mark

Member for

24 years 5 months

Guys,can we get out of the habit of 'quoting' the entire post immediately above your posts?

Member for

20 years 11 months

Sorry

Member for

16 years 10 months

I've worked hard to try and pass on what I know and to encourage him to read and learn - I remember using a Thomas The Tank Engine "etch-a-sketch" to draw a map of Europe with arrows showing 1940 invasion etc. Try also to keep it "goodies" and "baddies" with people who choose to impose their will on others. also trying not to scare the whatsname out of him as well. My daughter is 4, her turn soon ! I'm not a churchgoer at all, but he is a cub scout so will put on my suit and go with him tomorrow to the service.

Member for

24 years 5 months

The DO-D with pair is not the familiar RM689 as it has an aerial mast. It looks to be the adjacent Spitfire to N in the line up. Not a code I have seen before on a four blade flying Spitfire. A little more investigation needed.

Not DO-D but CD-D. The Mk V AB910. :)

Mark

Member for

20 years 10 months

I was about to say "AB910" - the (visible) strengthening plates and four-blade prop stood out for me (AR213 had them on the starboard wing only, and I don't think P7350 has ever had them).

Fantastic pics, too! :)

Member for

19 years 7 months

Serials

Have you guys got a list of aircraft that appeared in the film,
would be nice to check it against the info I have on a sheet dated 4 march 1968, what was the G-reg serial of RM689? if it had one.
________
Jeycy.bigass cam

Member for

20 years 10 months

The list has been posted here before, somewhere!

RM689 = G-ALGT (which is still registered as the aircraft is under rebuild)

Member for

19 years 5 months

Car used in BoB film?

Tried this on a previous BoB thread but without any responce :(- As there seems to be some very knowledgable film buffs on here, I hope the following question is relevant & not too impertinent?

For many years I have owned a semi-derelict (well some say completely derelict!) MG YA saloon – one of those projects I am still hoping to get around to one day! :eek: When I bought it, I was told it had formerly belonged to a "senior RAF officer", though this had nothing to do with my decision to purchase it – I specifically wanted a Y-Type & was on limited funds (as always!) & this was the only one within my budget - I did note that it was brush painted RAF blue, so thought there could be some truth in this?

However, a couple of years ago, I was talking to a well known car restorer, who I happened to be helping source some unusual aircraft switches for a vintage racing car he was working on and the conversation turned to my MG. He thought he recalled the car as it has an unusual number plate (RNU 40) as well as the odd colour! – He had provided vehicles for a number of films made in the 1960s and 1970s and recalled painting an MG Y Type saloon RAF blue for one of these war films – it seems it was used because this model looks like a pre war car (designed in 1938), even though it was built in 1951! He was convinced it was done for the Battle of Britain film (though I do not recall seeing one in it), but said it could have been another film?

Now I have had the car for 20 years and have no intention of selling, so this is not a cheap shot at giving it some provenance to put on the dreaded eBay! But if it was indeed a former “Film Star” or does have some RAF connections through a previous owner, I would love to know – It may just give me the incentive to re-start the project & get it back on the road where it belongs :).

Member for

19 years 5 months

This is a good thread chaps!

I have a few questions for you all to test your knowledge.....

The first RAF pilot to be lost.....

What was his full name and rank?
What was his country of origin?
Who shot him down?

If there is any interest, I will post a photo of some of my memorabilia from the film (which includes an exhaust stub from a Spit replica, 'He111' aerial, German plates and paperwork).

Aeroplane organised a superb 30th Anniversary Film day, anyone interested in having a meet up at Duxford?

Member for

15 years 8 months

My son-in-law has a great book that contains all the facts, history and figures about the making of the film and some history of the battle.
He sent me a few pages by email, when we were on speaking terms, but I'm not sure of the book title, Battle of Britain, probably.
Here is one of the shots he sent, the line up of pilots makes this worth sharing, those on the right hand side, not the left!:D
http://i34.tinypic.com/2a7byn4.jpg

Member for

20 years 10 months

This is a good thread chaps!

I have a few questions for you all to test your knowledge.....

The first RAF pilot to be lost.....

What was his full name and rank?
What was his country of origin?
Who shot him down?

Pilot Officer Charlie Lambert (I think?)
British
The German "Galland"-type bloke, Falke.

Probably wrong, though :o

Member for

19 years

I think something else that makes BoB stand out from many other WW2 films is that the Germans actually speak German! Instead of some pathetic attempt at adding an unconvincing German accent to the English being spoken.

Yes. I greatly prefer that. "The Longest Day", "Tora Tora Tora", "A Bridge Too Far" - it always seems to me to be a sign that the filmmakers were trying to do it properly. Unlike, for example, "The Battle of the Bulge".

Member for

15 years 8 months

As lots of you seem to have enjoyed the BoB film, have a look at the www.imdb.com site and put in Battle of Britain in the search box. the first film listed should be the one, there's masses of info all about the filming and check out the goofs page which lists some of the mistakes.

Hope you enjoy the site

Brokkie

Member for

19 years 5 months

Pilot Officer Charlie Lambert (I think?)
British
The German "Galland"-type bloke, Falke.

Probably wrong, though :o

Name right, New Zealand