Comper CLA7 Swift

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 5 months

Does anyone out there in forum land know if there are any Pobjoy engined Swift's currently stored or being restored in the UK? There's a handful that have been de-registered during the past couple of years, does anyone know where or if they still exist and in what sort of condition?

Seems a shame that there's only one genuine example of this charismatic little machine currently flying in the UK (though the replica looks pretty neat too).

Doug Muir's very historic Gipsy powered machine was also in the process of being imported back to the UK from Australia... any news on that?

Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Both G-ABUS and G-ACTF are both airworthy, the latter at Old Warden. I saw it there earlier this month. G-ABTC is currently stored at Biggin Hill, I think, and I believe G-ABUU was recently sold to Spain in airworthy condition.

Member for

24 years 5 months

I thought that G-ABUS's C of A had expired, have you seen it flown recently? As for G-ABTC, I've tried to trace this one's location for a while but to no avail so thanks for the tip-off! I've seen pictures of 'TC flying relatively recently so I guess it would be a great contender for a rebuild...?

Member for

20 years 5 months

davski,

I think you must be mistaken, as G-ABTC hasnt flown for at least 20 years (CofA expired in 1984!) Last I heard was it was 'stored' down in Cornwall somewhere with Pete Channon

The Comper Swift is one aircraft that I'd love to fly.....

Member for

24 years 5 months

Thanks Ewan,
By recently I mean that I'd seen colour pictures in Flypast in the late twentieth century (!), from which I drew the conclusion that this aircraft was a possible/the most probable future flier - it carried the legend "Spirit of Butler" in recognition of Cecil Butler's epic flight to Oz, my surname's Butler so it struck a bit of a chord and I've loved them since...

Member for

18 years 6 months

Comper Swift

Just to let the enthusiasts know this years project will be the bringing to airworthy status the two thumbnails or attached below. I got UVC with a lot of Pobjoy bits some years ago and it is in a dismantled state. Now with the help of Doug Muir's Swift as a pattern of sorts I can get on with both.
Wish me luck.
And offer any help with prayers, advice and "bits"

Attachments

Member for

24 years 5 months

That's tremendous news, all very best of luck to you.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Lovely aircraft.

I enclose a photo of the airworthy spanish example at FiO.

Scion, wherabouts are you in Aus? I may be able to offer some prayers and a little more :D

Cheers

Attachments

Member for

20 years 3 months

GREAT project - well done Scion AND GOOD LUCK- whats the history....?

TT

Member for

19 years 3 months

G-ABUS has not flown for many a long year and i suspect is in need of some major attention before it flew again. Is it even still in the UK? i had heard that when Roger Bailey moved to France he took it with him? Anybody know if there is any truth in this? G-ABUS has a place close to my heart, my father spent many a happy hour flying her when she was based at Sywell. I tried to contact Pete Shannon a couple of years ago to find out what state BTC was in but with no response. A few years ago i aquired a full set of plans for the swift with the intention of building one! one day!? Mind you i would rather rebuild an original!!!!

Member for

18 years 6 months

JDK,
I am in the Sydney area, At present ACG is at Bankstown but UVC is at Kellyville in Sydney's Northwest.. I also operate out of a private strip at Wiseman's Ferry.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Texantoncat,
Do you want the expurgated or unexpurgated version?
If the latter give me a day or so to put my thoughts in order as I am still perplexed/confused and excited with the thought of the possibilities to see a Pobjoy and Gipsy Swift in flight together.

Member for

18 years 8 months

davski,

I think you must be mistaken, as G-ABTC hasnt flown for at least 20 years (CofA expired in 1984!) Last I heard was it was 'stored' down in Cornwall somewhere with Pete Channon

The Comper Swift is one aircraft that I'd love to fly.....

G-ABTC is stored somewhere in Cornwall......but where I cant remember?! (or more importantly I dont think the owner wishes it to be known - not even W&R knows where it is). I saw her about two years ago stored in a hangar which she sat with a tarpulin over the fuselage.

Martin

Member for

19 years 3 months

Here's one of G-ABUS @Sywell with Blue Max senior in the coclpit.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Texantoncat,
Do you want the expurgated or unexpurgated version?
If the latter give me a day or so to put my thoughts in order as I am still perplexed/confused and excited with the thought of the possibilities to see a Pobjoy and Gipsy Swift in flight together.

Wow - would love to see the pair of them flying! The Gipsy Swift has quite a history and was rumoured to be in airworthy condition although I gather that Doug Muir hadn't flown her in some considerable time. Just how fit is the aircraft and do you think that she'll fly very soon?

Member for

19 years 3 months

Was it three or four Comper Swifts lined up at an air display or PFA Rally about 20 years ago?
Surely a unique post-war occasion.

Roger Smith.

Member for

18 years 6 months

Davski,
Certainly it has not been flying for some time though nominally she is airworthy. I would guess it would be an extended time before this happened the reason being that the aeroplane needs a through check and to fly such an aeroplane it requires a selection of skills not abundant today.
Doug flew her not often and he carried out some changes which were to improve it's handling, particularly on the ground. These need to be reviewed and a final decision on flight status made.

I would like to work on both Swifts together and find a thumbnail of UVC to see how far I have to go. It is however better than it looks!

Attachments

Member for

18 years 4 months

comper swift g-abtc

THE COMPER SWIFT

G - ABTC IS STILL ALIVE, AND SOON TO BE REBORN (2006)
AFTER HER TRIP TO IRAN (1982) (ON A FAILED TRIP TO AUSTALIA) SHE DID A FEW MORE YEARS BUT HAD TO BE LAID UP DUE TO WORK.
IN THE MEANTIME I GOT INVOLVED WITH OPENING, AND RUNNING PERRANPORTH AIRFIELD,AND SPENT THE NEXT FEW YEARS FIGHTING THE LOCAL COUNCIL, WHO TRIED TO CLOSE US DOWN.
THATS ALL IN THE PAST NOW, AND SO TC WILL FLY AGAIN, AND MAY EVEN HIT THE AIRSHOW SCENE AGAIN.HER FIRST OUTING AFTER I BOUGHT HER WAS THE BIGGIN HILL AIR FAIR (1974)

POBJOY PETE

Member for

18 years 4 months

Thanks Ewan,
By recently I mean that I'd seen colour pictures in Flypast in the late twentieth century (!), from which I drew the conclusion that this aircraft was a possible/the most probable future flier - it carried the legend "Spirit of Butler" in recognition of Cecil Butler's epic flight to Oz, my surname's Butler so it struck a bit of a chord and I've loved them since...

G-ABTC STILL IS NAMED SPIRIT OF BUTLER, AS SHE CARRIED ON THE AUSTRALIA ATTEMPT (1981). FORCED DOWN BY A DOUBLE ROTOR ARM FAILURE JUST OFF THE COAST OF IRAN SHE HAD TO MAKE A LANDING ON THE OLD IMPERIAL AIRWAYS STRIP AT JASK!!
AFTER INCARCERATION FOR 11 DAYS SHE WAS ALLOWED TO RETURN TO DUBAI, BUT NOT CARRY ON TO PAKISTAN.THE AIRCRAFT WAS FLOWN OUT OVER THE SEA ON ONE (DUBIOUS MAG), AND MANAGED TO GET BACK.
THE WINGS, AND AREA BEHIND THE COCKPIT HAD BEEN FILLED WITH FOAM BLOCKS IN CASE SHE CAME DOWN IN THE SEA (NO LIFERAFT) THEY ARE STILL THERE!!
PP

Member for

19 years 3 months

Be fantastic to see BTC up and about again, i know she to was resident at Sywell for many years with G-ABUS but as far as i know Dad only flew BUS.

Member for

24 years 5 months

That's tremendous news - very much looking forward to seeing the aircraft fly again... perhaps even tempt you to one of our bash's at Breighton?

All the very best.