Comper CLA7 Swift

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 2 months

Here is some images someone emailed me from the Auther Butler Flyin at Tooraweenah

The email also said:

"Are there any drawings out in the ether of the Mew Gull ?

I note that there is a company in great britain who market drawings and a
metal parts kit of the comper swift"

interested to know the answer to the question about the Mew Gull

Attachments

Member for

20 years 9 months

Are there any drawings out in the ether of the Mew Gull ?
interested to know the answer to the question about the Mew Gull

A full size accurate replica has just been built by AJD Engineering for the RAF museum for static display at the request / bequest of Alex Henshaw. Henshaw's papers are now at the museum. As the original Mew Gull G-AEXF has been rebuilt about 1,000 times (slight exaggeration) I'm sure there's data in various hands enabling such a replica to be built and certified to fly. Anyone serious about such an idea would presumably start by researching G-AEXF's history and contacting the several organisations still extant who've had a hand in bouncing it back into the sky.

There are also numerous scale drawings and several static scale kits out there.

HTH.

Member for

17 years 2 months

I guess that you mean the one in the image below - not my image and I hope the photographer (who I know) won't don't mind me putting it up on the web. I think it furthers interest in Percival aircraft.

The text with the image was as follows:

"This exact replica has been built by Hawker restorations for inclusion at the RAF Hendon museum, to be displayed alongside the papers and memrobilia from the late and great Alex Henshaw. She conforms to the exact 30's Cape record configuration, and the re build was overseen by Alex up to a month before he passed on.

The inside of the cockpit is painted dark grey, exactly as Alex said he remembered it. Nose, and engine cowels plus spats all made in house, beaten from aluminium sheet, a work of art. There is no engine fitted, instead a dummy panel behind the intake opening, with a Gipsy cylinder head mounted to the face, suitably aged and splashed with oil to add to the authenticity!"

JDK - see replicas can be good in museums

Is there the manfacture's drawings about, it would be great to see a flying replica in Australia!

cheers

Attachments

Member for

16 years 8 months

Mew Gull replica clarification

Having project managed the Percival Mew Gull replica for the RAF Museum I can say that the replica is fitted with a full de Havilland Gipsy Six Series II engine with a de H VP propeller.

For further information and photographs see the following link:

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=89CD36DAA6B49B8E!1076

Member for

19 years 3 months

Congratulations. She looks beautiful!

Am I alone in thinking the 'Gipsy Swift' looks even better than the Pobjoy version?

I want one even more now I've seen that pic of it flying!! :D

I have the drawings:D

Member for

16 years 9 months

Today I have been granted to access to an incredible file of photos from a fallen hero ! It includes this Compter Swift among others ?
Is this G-ABPE ? Keith ?

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/special/COMPERSWIFT1.jpg

Member for

17 years 11 months

Wow. It could well be G-ABPE as it transited through the area (to Malaya and back) over the period and area of the photo collection and it spent a lot of time on RAF aerodromes. It's colour scheme is at odds with the photo in "Ultralights" though.

John

Member for

20 years 3 months

Anyone know more of the alleged discovery of the Ex-Henshaw Swift in Manchester - am sure it was reported in the public domain some time ago -in a lock up apparently - I heard that RAFM were involved?

TT

Member for

15 years 9 months

If anyone doesn't know about this, here is my main reference source on the Comper Swift - an excellent hardback book entitled "Ultralights" by Richard Riding. Long out of print, but copies can still be found on Amazon. Not a book entirely devoted to the Swift, but perhaps, er...a Comper-a-mise?:rolleyes:

Attachments

Member for

17 years 11 months

A very interesting website. Please, is it known what the colours were for the Mouse. Can anyone help and indeed for any contemporary civil types

John

Member for

16 years 6 months

The Nick Comper website is excellent as is the Ultralights book.

Whilst on the Swift thread thought I would ask if anyone can provide me with an image of c/n S.33/8 wearing the marks VP-KAV........?

Thanks Planemike

Member for

14 years 4 months

Sorry if I seem to be hogging this thread at the moment!

It appears that not two but four Swifts went to Argentina - more particularly to C.H.A.Taylor of Aerofotos, Buenos Aires. The four were the following:

S.30/2 G-AAZA/R222/LV-FBA
S.30/6 R232/LV-YEA
S.31/9 ?
S.32/6 ?

Apparently it was S.30/2 which made the 18000 ft. crossing of the Andes. Can anyone identify the registrations carried by S.31/9 and S.32/6 and give anything of the history and/or fate of the quartet?

My father, Vicente Bonvissuto was the last owner of a Comper Swift S.32/6 in Argentina. He had an accident with the plane in 1950 and the plane was destroyed in the crash. It was the LV-FCE. My mother has yet parts of the plane, but my father didn't want to restore it never. My mother gave the motor to a friend of my father after his dead, but he has it yet. The entire plane (wood and another parts flammables), were destroyed by fire. My father wanted to be the first parachutist to jump in the antartic continent with that plane in 1950 (he was a recordman ii that year), but with the crash, he couldn't do that. His life, you can read it in his autobiographic book "Cuando el ejército me enseñó a volar" ("When the army taught me to fly"). There, you can find photos of his plane too.
Another Comper Swift, was LV-YEA and had an accident in 1952, too. I don't know his actual location. I know that it was named as S.32/6 too, but I don't know if it is real.
If you can investigate this, please, reply me.
Excuse my english, but I don't write better.
EB

Member for

16 years 6 months

edubonvi.........Welcome to the Forum,

Please do not apologise for your English, I am sure we all understand you very well.

Very interested to hear about your fathers exploits with a Comper Swift in Argentina.

Planemike

Member for

16 years 10 months

Thank you, edubonvi. It's pieces of information such as yours that make fora such as this worth the time that many of us spend on them. You'd never find that sort of information on the net or in books (says he, waiting to stand corrected). If you can tell us more about LV-FCE when it was owned and operated by your father - as well as more about LV-YEA - those like me, with a passion for obscure british aeroplanes (well, yes, I accept that obscure is hardly an appropriate description for the Swift), will be exceptionally grateful. Better still if you have and can post photos of LV-FCE when operated by your father or the remains of it held by your mother or the engine (was this a Pobjoy Swift?) which is held by your father's friend, then I think that you'll find there is a great deal of interest in them.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Thank you edubonvi. Welcome to the forum.

I will also be interested to hear any more information on the Comper Swifts in your country.

Roger Smith.

PS. If we could speak/write your language as well as you write English the World would be a better place. :)

Member for

16 years 6 months

Hmmmmm.....Something does not seem to quite add up here. Just been looking through AB Archive Autumn 2004.

For S32/6. the following info is given:-
CofA 3536 issued 28.6.32 to Aerofotos Ltd Argentina Delivered to Charles Bell after Andes flight of R222. Registered R232 to Gustavo Einar Roth. Based Buenos Aires (5.33). Registered LV-YEA (9.38) to same owner. Regd LV-FCE 11.7.50 to Sociedad IPT. Destroyed 29.9.50.

AJJ BCA 1919 -1972 quotes S.30/6 as R232/LV-YEA

To me it does not look very likely there was a second accident in 1952. If there was which a/c was involved?

Archive shows a photo of Charles Bell with R 222 & R 232. There is also a photo of LV-FBA previously R222.

Any more information anyone ????

Planemike

Member for

18 years 4 months

Is their any news of the new built Comper Swifts? I saw one being built near Leighton Buzzard a few years ago. It looked very nice.

Dave

Member for

16 years 6 months

Three replica Swifts have been registered in the UK. One has flown, but appears not to have flown many hours, 37 hrs by 2008. Sadly it does not attend many fly-ins...pity, I have yet to see it. The other two, including the one you mention Dave, have yet to fly. I know of one other underway but it is at an early stage apparently......

Planemike