Hawker Typhoon parts.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 7 months

Control knobs

The ones on my panel are the originals; gently refinished (sanded) and polished. As for sources; I have yet to find anyone reproducing them; but this style of knob was fitted to almost every RAF kite right up to (and possibly beyond) the Shackletons.
If you do find any in-situ, be careful! They crack easily, and are secured through the lever with a bolt and a circular (Non-flatted) nut... sometimes brass; sometimes steel... that needs a special tool, like a thin screwdriver blade with the centre section removed; leaving two prongs which fit into two slots in the nut... to remove them... (and they are invariably rusted solid!)

Member for

19 years 8 months

If I can get a sample (or have one already), I can do them in marble filled black resin which is the same weight and strength as Bakelite.

Member for

16 years 8 months

I've had some success with casting them too.

The trouble is, for every knob there's a lever, or more correctly, for every lever there's a knob. In other words, the knobs may look outwardly similar but the thickness, width and shape of the levers vary, meaning that each knob is more or less unique to that lever. That can add up to a lot of moulds and much casting for a complex throttle box.

It's also very frustrating having built up over the years a selection of shiny new knobs that won't fit a single lever in the collection!

Member for

10 years 7 months

An update on the Throttle Quadrant.

The castings are now pretty much finished. The inboard casting was repaired using Scotch-Weld 2216 Epoxy Adhesive and three small rectangles of 18swg aluminium on the inside face of the casting. The corrosion pitting was filled with Autocare Easy Sand Car Body Filler... cheap as chips; and actually gives a smoother finish than Plastic Padding and the like.
The outboard casting was similarly filled, and re-studded using sawn-down period 2BA long shank bolts; which were then re-threaded to take period Air Ministry Simmonds 2BA nuts... an unopened box of which we found in deep storage (A rusty old filing cabinet in the corner of the workshop.)

Thanks to Air Ministry for information on the guts of the Quadrant... the putting together of which will be the next bit of fun!.

Here it is in its coat of primers...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228919[/ATTACH]
Inboard Face.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228920[/ATTACH]
Outboard Face.

Looks a tad better than what we started with!

Attachments

Member for

10 years 7 months

Hawker Typhoon Throttle Quadrant.

The Throttle quadrant is now pretty well finished... thanks to Air Ministry for much useful information on the internal arrangements of the lever interlinks and spacers.
A temporary knob has been fitted to the Propeller pitch lever for effect; as we don't have one of the correct type...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229145[/ATTACH]
If anyone has a spare one lying around...(They were fitted to most pitch levers through the 40's and 50's); we would really appreciate the donation of one to the project.
The restoration has taken a total of four weeks... and much strong coffee, cursing, penetrating oil; sanding, filing and Elastoplast.
Here is the result...

Inboard Face.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229146[/ATTACH]

Outboard Face.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229147[/ATTACH]

Top Face.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229148[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

20 years 9 months

The Throttle quadrant is now pretty well finished... thanks to Air Ministry for much useful information on the internal arrangements of the lever interlinks and spacers.
A temporary knob has been fitted to the Propeller pitch lever for effect; as we don't have one of the correct type...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229145[/ATTACH]
If anyone has a spare one lying around...(They were fitted to most pitch levers through the 40's and 50's); we would really appreciate the donation of one to the project.
The restoration has taken a total of four weeks... and much strong coffee, cursing, penetrating oil; sanding, filing and Elastoplast.
Here is the result...

Inboard Face.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229146[/ATTACH]

Outboard Face.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229147[/ATTACH]

Top Face.
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229148[/ATTACH]

What a difference! Great work there.

Note to self.... must do the same for the Hornet throttle box. Its the only one left (I think) so have been nervous to take it apart.

Member for

17 years 4 months

Yes you must Mr Collins!

Member for

24 years 8 months

Superb work there. An inspiration indeed.

In fact, I just placed a Vampire throttle box on the bench to make a start on!

Member for

14 years 9 months

That is STUNNING, especially considering what you started with. Some amazing restoration going on there sir!

Member for

10 years 7 months

Thank you, gentlemen... just goes to show that in spite of what they say; if you are stubborn enough, you actually can polish a t*rd!
Dave; when you pull the hornet box apart; whatever else, make a sketch of the internal connections as the components come apart. Without Air Ministry's sketch we would have been truly stuffed!

Member for

24 years 8 months

What's next on your list?

Member for

10 years 7 months

The next game is really going to be a fun-filled experience.
We've done the bits that the pilot had to play with...now it's what he had to look at... the instrument panels.
We have a populated blind flying panel; albeit fitted with a rather asthmatic (for a Tiffie, anyway) 320mph ASI... (Bombers, Defiant, etc... not the 550mph correct one) and a few secondary gauges.
What we don't have, are the port and starboard supplementary panels, or the upper one that holds the dimmer switches for the gunsight, compass and cockpit lamps... but we can always fabricate those.
The real pain is going to be reverse engineering the flap indicator from photographs... they appear to be rarer than hen's teeth!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Just a quick question - we have a 20mm ammo counter - usual bakelite AM dial in the Museum - said to be ex-Typhoon - did they have one fitted?

ATB
TT

Member for

10 years 7 months

As far as I am aware; neither the Typhoon or later Tempest was fitted with an ammo counter... their jocks just blasted away until the cannon breeches slammed shut; then banged the throttle open and p*issed off into the wild blue yonder!
These counters could well have been fitted to the Mosquito and Beaufighter; and there are some suggestions that they were fitted to bomber turrets... the only one that springs to mind is the Avro Type 694 Lincoln which was sometimes fitted with a pair of 20mm Hispanos in the dorsal turret as an alternative to the more common 0.50 caliber M2 machine guns.
The Lincoln's maiden flight was on 9 June 1944; and the "A M & Crown" was replaced by the Broad Arrow in 1944, when the Ministry of Defense was created to oversee the armed forces of Great Britain; so the date is OK in this instance.
Hope this helps a little.

Member for

20 years 6 months

Brilliant, thanks windhover for such a detailled explanation - much obliged! ATB TT

Member for

10 years 7 months

And Now... back to the usual suspects.
With the port and starboard side panels and the throttle quadrant complete; it's time for the easier bits. Next victim is the W/T Remote controller...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229332[/ATTACH]

This one is not as bad as it looks. If you ever wondered what was inside; it's this...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229333[/ATTACH]

And after a little de-rusting and rectification...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]229334[/ATTACH]

Next Victim?... The Mk XI Oxygen Regulator. (1943 Vintage.) because the Mk VIIID is completely screwed!

Attachments

Member for

19 years 8 months

The flap indicator is very similar to a Hurricane one

Member for

21 years 1 month

Am I right in thinking there was a typhoon fitted with a RR Griffon?
I think the machine you have in mind is the Tornado which, if memory serves me correctly was a Tempest airframe with a RR engine though I'm not sure what.

Member for

12 years 4 months

Are you thinking of Tempest III and IV?