Hawker Typhoon parts.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

10 years 7 months

Good Stuff! Thanks a lot. That will save me one heck of a lot of head-scratching!

Member for

17 years 1 month

Lovely work Windhover......

Member for

10 years 7 months

'Er... you remember I said that the throttle quadrant was next?
Pics to follow... now THAT'S what I call a challenge!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228145[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228146[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228147[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228148[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228149[/ATTACH]

This one's going to need all my little grey cells. They won't buy me a replacement at the thick end of £2K!

Attachments

Member for

10 years 7 months

Typhoon Car Door Port Services Panel.

Meanwhile... whilst scratching my head as to how I'm going to tackle the above bunch of junk; I have pressed on with the Port Undercarriage and Engine Services Panel...
Here's the raw material...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228272[/ATTACH]
The rather mangled upper panel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228273[/ATTACH]
The not-quite-so-mangled lower panel.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228274[/ATTACH]
The Start and Slow-running cut-out assembly.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228275[/ATTACH]
The Undercarriage Selector Lever Quadrant.

And....
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228276[/ATTACH]

Job Done!
(I just hope the throttle quadrant will look as good!)

Attachments

Member for

13 years 9 months

Wow! That looks amazing!

Member for

10 years 7 months

Meantime; here is the completed Port Undercarriage and Engine Services Panel with the Radiator Shutter and Wing Flaps operating levers and associated Hydraulic valve blocks and interconnecting pipework in place.
(This actuating lever and valve block assembly has been made up from the best parts of three donor assemblies... The original ex-junkyard example; and two excavated examples.)...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228539[/ATTACH]

and the associated hydraulic block interconnecting pipes...
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228540[/ATTACH]

Still trying to figure out how to make good the pitted and corroded Magnesium alloy castings for the throttle quadrant... they're too far gone to use as moulds; so I guess some form of filling is the order of the day... it just depends on what will adhere to the magnesium. (Fibreglass is not an option... according to the powers that be!)

Attachments

Member for

20 years 9 months

Lovely restoration work Windhover.

Do you have any pre-restoration photo's you could share, showing the cockpit frame?

Many thanks,

Member for

12 years 10 months

Barry Parkhouse up at booker has had these parts in his yard for a while, not sure if they are for available for trade/sale though.[ATTACH=CONFIG]228548[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]228549[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]228550[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228547[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

10 years 7 months

Pleased you like my "What the hell can I do with this piece of Cr*p" efforts!
I guess you refer to the tubular cockpit section structure.
The airframe restoration guys on the team have a series of pre-restoration photographs of our Tiffie tubes somewhere. I'll see if I can dig them out when I go over to the workshop tomorrow. They'll be scans of digital prints... so I can't guarantee how good they'll be!

Member for

16 years 8 months

Still trying to figure out how to make good the pitted and corroded Magnesium alloy castings for the throttle quadrant... they're too far gone to use as moulds; so I guess some form of filling is the order of the day...

Here's one I did earlier.

It was very pitted, having lain in the scrap area at Mag Elektron for many years. "Ordinary" car body filler adheres well and doesn't seem to give rise to longer term problems (and no doubt the technology has moved on in the 20 years or so since I did this one). Or do you mean "too far gone" as in large holes?!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]228551[/ATTACH]

Attachments

Member for

16 years 11 months

Oo-er !! Head scratcher indeed.

'Er... you remember I said that the throttle quadrant was next?
Pics to follow... now THAT'S what I call a challenge!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228145[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228146[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228147[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228148[/ATTACH]
[ATTACH=CONFIG]228149[/ATTACH]

This one's going to need all my little grey cells. They won't buy me a replacement at the thick end of £2K!

Hi Windhover,
Must congratulate you/Project helpers on outstanding acheivements so far to bring these items back from the dead. (You too Alan ). very impressive indeed.

Looking at these pics. of those inner Throttle Quadrant Castings makes me cringe too. Don't think there is any welding scheme for mag. Alloy, but as these items are for static Tiffie project, there are heavy duty Glue/epoxy/resins around, (thinking of Classic Cars Re-Building Suppliers ) that can be used and filed ,drilled and tapped when set. You could also "glue"on (For want of a better word )very small, thin, alloy/dural strips across these breaks and gaps,(after filling in ) to give more rigid plate support .Once painted over you'd hardly notice them. Obviously not fitting them where fouling would apply. and also where they could be seen from top view. And yes!! after clean-up and primer treatment, fill in those pitts with car body filler, thus saving a unique and rare item. Please keep up your reports on progress with pics. and my thanks for that.

Wow !! Hope someone has moved fast on those huge amount of "Tiffie" parts and wreckage at Barry Parkhouses place. Barry is very approachable and helpful( he helped me out enormously a few years ago ) but he's nobody's fool.

I have to say that these scratch /composites builds to static display condition of long vanished aircraft from WW2, etc. (and no doubt later years missing aircraft ) and parts and C/pit part.instrument panel displays,etc, is something I never thought I'd see emerge these days, but boy !! am I happy to be wrong. Salute you guys,---( you know who you are ), the satisfaction must be total in this absorbing side of Aircraft preservation.

Bill T.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Wow, didn't know Barry had Ailerons and elevators.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I imagine the majority of the parts with Barry are ex Wickenby / Hemswell. It would be interesting to know the origin of the Tempest cockpit.

Member for

20 years 9 months

I imagine the majority of the parts with Barry are ex Wickenby / Hemswell. It would be interesting to know the origin of the Tempest cockpit.

Could be one of the former Ted Sinclair MkV examples, as the ex Wickenby Tempests were all MkII's?

Member for

12 years 5 months

Could be one of the former Ted Sinclair MkV examples, as the ex Wickenby Tempests were all MkII's?

The typhoon cockpit cage in these photo's looks very much like Peter Smiths ex brownhills car door tiffy

Member for

13 years 9 months

Yes, it's definitely the Brownhills Tiffy Peter Smith used to own, although slightly disassembled.

Member for

10 years 7 months

Meanwhile; back to the Tiffie Throttle quadrant.

The inboard casting is now in one piece but still has a bad case of acne.
My main concern is now reassembling the internal shims, bushes, and interlinks in the correct sequence. My eminent predecessor stripped it but did not leave any instructions as to what went where (I've also had to drill out and re-tap the casting studs... looks like he tried to pull them with mole grips.)
All components have been cleaned and refinished; and they all appear to be there.... but, what's the re-assembly sequence?
Any clues would be much appreciated.

Member for

16 years 8 months

Windhover,

Looking at your photos, I think my throttle box matches yours in terms of levers etc (they differed a bit over the Typhoon's life).

I'll sketch the layout of the spacers etc when I get a spare moment.

Member for

10 years 7 months

Thank you, kind sir.
I've managed to salvage and clean everything within the casting... just hope it's all there... or it's back to the old mill and lathe two-step!

Member for

20 years 10 months

Hi Windhover & Air Ministry, great work on the restorations!! I am trying to locate some control knobs like the black ones on Air Ministrys work and Windhovers start control panel, can you tell me if you have a source or were they manufactured, best regards, Pete