Hawker Typhoon parts.

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 5 months

just looked at http://www.internationalcockpitclub.org.uk/gallery.php

i was suprised to see that someone is restoring a Typhoon in his garage. This looks promising.

i thought at one stage hawker restorations were interested in doing one? If they could get involved in restoring the aircraft couldnt they make jigs and use the techniques to make more? This still does not solve the engine problems, found this and i thought i would share it with everyone.

http://www.internationalcockpitclub.org.uk/gallery/images/papertyphoon.jpg

http://www.internationalcockpitclub.org.uk/gallery/images/typhoon2.jpg

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

Bump

I would think that such a magnificent project deserves a bit more attention. Especially involving a type as rare as the Tiffy. What a great achievement.

Cheers

Cees

Member for

21 years 1 month

This is not the only Typhoon project. Peter Smith has a 1b, EJ922 project underway down in kent. This project is featured on the new Typhoon at War DVD.

Septic.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Hello Septic,

There is another one, which might be lucky for a major parts injection. But more of that later. Time will tell. :rolleyes:

Cees

Member for

21 years 1 month

Typhoon Projects

To my knowlege there are at least 10 Typhoon cockpit projects in the UK at present (inc the cockpit at Duxford and Roger Marleys). Some are more complete than others and some are more accurate than others but all are doing their part to remember this rare aircraft

Member for

20 years 6 months

Typhoon

At Fairford this weekend

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

If you look closely at the first white stripe, you'll see a bunch of signatures. I don't know if they've been added to, but in July 2001 a bunch of 609 pilots signed it, including Bee Beamont. Roger had brought the cockpit up for the Typhoon Day.

Member for

21 years 5 months

has anyone else got any more pictures of this?

i was wondering, what is the possibility of a Typhoon flying, i mean if the aircraft in question was given some wings and and a engine would it fly? is the aircraft rebuilt to original spec, or is it a rebuild with replica parts?

if a group of people are willing to put a HP 42 in the sky, why not a typhoon?

i know that the Typhoon is super super rare, what if the typhoon was operated from Duxford and only did 1 or 2 airshows a year? i would gladly pay to see it, what do people think? is there any way of modifying a sabre engine to make it more safe? they could have the computer system that the HFL spitfires have which say if there are problems in the aircraft?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Typhoon

Here is the patch with the signatures. Unfortunately the weather wasn't great on Friday so the cockpit area was covered while I was there so the fuselage didn't look as good as it could.

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

Graham - there is a big difference between a group wanting to put something like an HP42 back in the air and actually achieving it!
To do a project like that we are talking millions and even then it would be very unlikely if it could achieve a Public Transport C of A.
Regards a Typhoon - it's been a number of people's dream to see one back in the air but I think sadly it will remain that. The wing is complex and expensive to reproduce. In order to do so you would effectively need a production line and I cannot see a demand for a number of them. As for the engine there is very little around in terms of Naper Sabre spares and although they had pretty much ironed out all of it's problems by war end the supply of parts and expertise on the type is virtually non existant.
I think in reality if we see a Tempest II fly in the U.K we should count ourselves lucky .

Member for

24 years 8 months

Clearly much time and energy has been expended on reproducing a Typhoon. Good show.

But, why oh why do people insist on using the wrong colour paint! Its not difficult to get the right colours; there are so many restorations that have been ruined by the use of post war colours on roundels!

Bruce

Member for

21 years 1 month

What an achievement!

If a 55% replica of a P-38 can be built, why not a scaled-down Typhoon? It's not the real thing, I know, but it's better than a model or absolutely nothing!

Member for

20 years 11 months

Was it the postwar white or black that you noticed Bruce? :D

Member for

20 years 4 months

May be a 55% replica will only 55% as badly on take-off...

Member for

20 years 7 months

In that pic of the "mostly tiffie" are those real rockets or replicas ?

Member for

20 years 1 month

Great Stuff Guys, So I guess it all comes down to money and red tape, We have to get guys like Richard Branson interested in warbirds, And other very rich English men, Proud to the core, That might say finance 3 new Build Tiffys, 5 if enough rich fellas come to the party, And a collection at all U.K and the World airshows if possible, To make the dream viable, Make them like all single seaters with second seat mod, Kermit Weeks would by one if it is original enough to his standards, All these rich guys can not take there money with them when they go, We need to make them think they are bringing a bit of old England back to life, I am not saying it would be easy, But I am sure it could be done, Cheers for now, Tally Ho, Phil.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I agree. There has been new production runs of:
Me262
Fw190
Yak 3
Nakajima Oscar
(any others?)

so why not a handfull of new Typhoons? Or other British fighters for that matter.

Several aircraft types have been brought back to flying from virtual extinction like the Polikarpov I16 and I153's, using minimal original material. And those Grumman biplanes rebuilt by Doug Champlin too. Surely at least one Typhoon could be rebuilt from all the existing bits and pieces around.

Someone has mentioned that the rear fuselage on that Typhoon reconstruction comes from a Sea Fury. Can that possibly be right? I'd have thought the Sea Fury was much bigger.

Member for

21 years 1 month

Well, money aside (as all the others have been done with considerable amounts of money), I think finding serviceable engines would be your biggest problem.

If you couldn't find suitable amounts of engine parts, what can you do then? Substitute the engine for a new one?

Member for

21 years 1 month

Rebuilt Tiffies...

With the exception of wings (which would be relatively simple) there are enough parts in existence to recreate an original Typhoon, there are even a number of engines which could be rebuilt. The problem comes with the 'collectors' who are not interested in pooling their parts to make a whole aircraft.

Member for

20 years 6 months

In that pic of the "mostly tiffie" are those real rockets or replicas ?

I had a play with them and they are made of cardboard and light metal.

The stucture from the cockpit backwards is quite rough in build quality but a gorgeous labour of love from all skill from those involved.

I nearly dropped my flask when I turned a corner and saw this in her glory. I've taken quite a few piccs of this (I love Tiffies) and will post them when I worked out how to (again).

I spoke to one the guys dressed in period there and unfoprtunatly could only tell me that it was based in Telford. Anyone else any clues to which group is doing this?

Member for

20 years 10 months

If you couldn't find suitable amounts of engine parts, what can you do then? Substitute the engine for a new one?

As a cheap alternative to a Napier Sabre - what about two 1980s Ferrari Testarossa flat 12s, mounted one on top of the other? :D