North East Aircraft Museum

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 11 months

Ok cheers Scott. You guys are doing a fantastic job. Can't be easy with such meagre resources but you all seem to have plenty of enthusiasm to keep you going in such difficult conditions. ;)

Member for

16 years 11 months

what can i say...were northerners, were used to working in horrid conditions lol, well...some of us are, mr woodcock there is starting to get used to being out of bed before 9am :p

Member for

14 years 11 months

For your information Mr Marlee, i've been up 0710 every morning this week even though sixth forms shut just to dig my step dad's van out! So don't give me that! :rolleyes:

Member for

18 years 8 months

Changing topic slightly, what is with the urgent need for an Meatbox canopy - thought it already had one?

Jon

Member for

13 years 11 months

Since the lads are off line, I'll tell you... the current one was smashed several years ago and there is a big chunk missing from the front edge. (6"sq.)

Member for

14 years 11 months

I'll try and dig out the picture of the damaged canopy.

Member for

13 years 9 months

Bay Plastics over on Tyne Tunnel Trading Estate have a very clever fabricating dept. and they're sympathetic to this sort of thing. They donated a batch of 3mm polycarbonate sheet so we could display our old engine in the museum. Might be worth letting them have a look at your canopy. Maybe it can be repaired to an acceptable standard if a replacement can't be sourced.

I'm sure it could be repaired well enough to make a mould for a vac-forming, but buying one second hand from a collector would probably be the cheaper alternative.

A clear casting resin could be a possibility to make a repair, but again, it comes down to cost. Is it worth repairing or using the money towards a replacement.

Member for

13 years 11 months

3/4" thick dual layer (1/8" gap beween laminates)

Member for

14 years 11 months

The problem is that F.8 canopies are incredibly hard to come by. I'm no Meteor expert so does anyone know if a different mark canopy can interchange with an F.8?

Profile picture for user Peter

Member for

24 years 8 months

Alex,
speaking of parts for her.. what about putting in a request for the tow bar from 603 if she ever meets her fate?

Member for

14 years 11 months

Although i'm loathed to see the demise of any aircraft, especially a Vulcan, that list of parts we need is ever increasing.

That could well be a good idea in the long run even though I can't envisage any reasons to move her in the near future *touch wood* :p

Member for

13 years 9 months

3/4" thick dual layer (1/8" gap beween laminates)

That'll be challenging to mend...

Member for

14 years 11 months

It doesn't have to be mended to exacting standards. I'm sure if it can be made good based on looks that will more than suffice.

Member for

13 years 9 months

What does the damage look like? can you post a pic or two? Shouldn't be too difficult to form a patch and let it in if it only has to be cosmetic.

Profile picture for user Phantom Phil

Member for

16 years 9 months

The only marks to have commonality in the F.8 canopy are FR.9 and D.16 Drone aircraft, and these are even more rare!!!

See below:

http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1082082

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Gloster-Meteor-FR9/1038829/L/&sid=a31dd952e5353de77c075493c34e2861

Regards,

Phil.

The problem is that F.8 canopies are incredibly hard to come by. I'm no Meteor expert so does anyone know if a different mark canopy can interchange with an F.8?

Member for

15 years 8 months

I am sure you guys with the Vulcan have thought of all tie down options and I am teaching you to suck eggs but there is a product called duckbill anchors that seem to be very good to use where you have an earth base.You just hammer them in ,attach cables of sufficient strength and pull tight,which opens the flukes underground.You then attach your cables to the landing gear and the aircraft is going nowhere.

Member for

13 years 9 months

alas heli once she was brought back down after her rise nothing was done and nothing was suggested about anchering her until all this snow arrived and everyone suddenly realised it would happen again. at this rate neam will have a wonderfull vulcan cockpit to cover over soon

Member for

16 years 11 months

sorry crashzone, but i have to correct you, we had planned to tie her down but baring in mind were a small museum who rely solely on museum addmissions and donations, now in a world where a lot of people dont have an interest in aviation, how do you propose we get them through the doors?

if you have any ideas or equipment you would like to donate then please feel free to come up to the site and help us out

i like how you say we will only have a cockpit soon, have you read the previous pages of this thread? we are keeping on top of the snow and make regular trips to clear 319s topside, do you know the state of the airframe? have you inspected it to come to your conclusions about how it will end up as a cockpit?

Member for

14 years 11 months

I am sure you guys with the Vulcan have thought of all tie down options and I am teaching you to suck eggs but there is a product called duckbill anchors that seem to be very good to use where you have an earth base.You just hammer them in ,attach cables of sufficient strength and pull tight,which opens the flukes underground.You then attach your cables to the landing gear and the aircraft is going nowhere.

I can see how they could be useful but one of the problems we have at NEAM is that we have no hard standings left from RAF Usworth. Nissan swallowed the entire aviation side of the airfield, NEAM is located on the North side of the airfield which was the Officer's mess and accommodation area and included a tennis court. This is now where the Vulcan stands. As i'm sure your aware, tennis courts aren't designed to take large heavy objects let alone anchor said object firmly to the ground.

That is why we have been planning to put concrete anchors in but a combination of events has meant that we have been unable to begin this task before the onset of winter.