Helicopter Crash in Vauxhall

Read the forum code of contact

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 9 months

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/aviation/9805071/Helicopter-crashes-in-Vauxhall-central-London.html

Reportedly an Augusta 109 hit a crane and fell onto cars in street below at 08:00 this morning.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21040313

Original post

Member for

11 years 11 months

Saw it on Sky earlier. Appalling news - let us hope there are no more fatalities.:(

Member for

24 years 8 months

Total nightmare, but it could have been so much worse.

The casualty toll is mercifully low so far.

Moggy

Member for

16 years 9 months

Confirmed pilot and one person on the ground dead.

Sad as it is could have been a whole lot worse.

Member for

15 years 7 months

Sad indeed :( RIP.

Member for

12 years 1 month

RIP to those on those who died.

It was travel chaos into work today, on my commute my twitter was buzzing with comments from colleagues about an explosion near MI6. Vauxhall and Waterloo stations were closed.

It's being reported that the 700+ ft crane was erected over-night and the pilot flying in fog may not have received the NATS advisory.

Member for

13 years 9 months

The actual helicopter involved was G-CRST of Castle Air and was en route from Redhill to Elstree, when the pilot required that he put down at Battersea Heliport (York Road SW11 if you know the area).

Not clear at this stage if it was a diversion to due "adverse weather" conditions - temperatures are around or just below freezing, and these was some freezing fog - or if there was a mechanical problem that needed the helicopter to "put down in a hurry"

Despite the helicopter catching fire on impact with the ground - there were rivers of burning fuel running down Wandsworth Road - train services continued through Vauxhall Station (surface and underground rail) as normal. Although not stopping to allow anyone to get off at Vauxhall of course!

Surprising, really, considering that the helicopter came down some 25 yards from the entrance to Vauxhall tube station. Getting home in tonight's rush hour is gong to be, erm, "interesting"...

Member for

12 years 1 month

Despite the helicopter catching fire on impact with the ground - there were rivers of burning fuel running down Wandsworth Road - train services continued through Vauxhall Station (surface and underground rail) as normal.

No, they closed the line for 20 minutes as engineers inspected it for damage.

Member for

19 years 4 months

It's being reported that the 700+ ft crane was erected over-night and the pilot flying in fog may not have received the NATS advisory.

Very sad news, RIP.

I wouldn't think cranes like these are erected 'over-night' or even during the night and the photo is dated last August? :confused:

Member for

15 years 7 months

I don't think that crane was put up over night. A while back someone apparently complained that it lacked a light. Whether this was rectified I don't know.

Member for

11 years 7 months

Thoughts goes out to the families.

But was he on instruments or VFR? The accident happened about 8.00am so it would have been dark and the conditions were not suitable VFR.

I think you have to be on VFR over London, but I'm not a pilot so I stand to be corrected. Still makes it tragic all the same.
From the BBC news site.

The BBC weather centre said weather observations at the time of the crash showed very low cloud but not thick fog. The nearest observation site was London City Airport which at 08:00 reported 700m visibility with broken cloud at a height of 100ft.

NATS, which runs air traffic control across the UK, said the pilot had been receiving assistance earlier in the flight but not at the time of the crash.

Member for

12 years 1 month

One miracle occurred, the crane driver was late to work, otherwise you can add +1 to the fatalities. Apparently he was one of the most punctual around.

Member for

17 years

My workmates bother was near the scene and took a picture looking up at the broken crane..it looked quite foggy?

Member for

12 years 1 month

it looked quite foggy?

Flights were being diverted from LCY this morning due to fog. I hadn't noticed the fog, although at ground level there's usually very little in London. Fog over the capital is usually at ~500-900ft. It's too warm and built up at ground level for the fog to come any lower than that.

Member for

18 years 6 months

On The Sun website the picture of an A-109 helicopter they chose to display is of the ETPS one I see flying out of Boscombe Down regularly.
Sent a shiver down my spine :(

Member for

15 years 7 months

WP840, I don't the one that crashed was an ETPS one, the media, as usual, are just picking out pics.
I heard it was G-CRST but I haven't seen that confirmed.

Member for

18 years 6 months

WP840, I don't the one that crashed was an ETPS one, the media, as usual, are just picking out pics.
I heard it was G-CRST but I haven't seen that confirmed.

Sorry I should have been a bit clearer. I realise the aircraft that crashed was not an MoD aircraft but the generic picture chosen by The Sun was of an ETPS helicopter.