Helicopter Crash in Vauxhall

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 7 months

Ah yes I know how you feel!
The company I work for has an AW109 on its AOC, so I echo your sentiment.

Member for

20 years 11 months

A awful tragic accident that could of been so much worse had the helicopter come down on the train or tube lines, thankfully it did not. Have to say the media coverage has been upsetting through making comments that helicopter travel over London is dangerous etc . I would ask them to compare how many people died in road accidents in London today, I honestly can not recall an similar accident in London ever.

I am wary to write this as it DOES NOT prove that there was no lights on the crane or tower when the accident happened but here goes.
When my wife and I were on a train into Waterloo on Christmas Eve my wife noted that there was not and red lights on the crane or tower that evening. It did seem odd at the time but didn't think anything much of it until heard about the accident.

As to the crane there has definitely been a crane of that sort of height in place when I took this photograph in July although it may not be the same one.

http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8330/8386841768_3517141960.jpg
The Tower, One St George Wharf . by Martin D Stitchener, on Flickr

In the end all I can say I feel for the families of those involved a very sad day.

Member for

11 years 10 months

Even if there was a light on the crane I assume it would be one of those constantly on red lights. They must have very limited range visibility in misty conditions and it must be difficult for a pilot to judge his distance from the obstacle even if he sees it.
Is there any reason why flashing strobe lights are not used on tall structures? They are visible for miles.

Member for

24 years 8 months

It was reported on the BBC yesterday that there is no requirement for a light on the crane during daylight shours, these being given as 30 minutes before sunrise. As the helicopter crashed approximately 15 minutes before official sunrise then there was apparently no requirement for any lights to be showing.

Regards,

kev35

Member for

24 years 8 months

And even then, it struck me that the light (if it is on the highest point, which would seem logical) might well have been hidden firmly in the overcast

Moggy

Member for

15 years 3 months

Two eye-witnesses on last night's BBC News said that the helicopter was in trouble with one saying that that the machine didn't sound right (or words to that effect).

I think it's most unlikely that a pilot as experienced as Pete Barnes would be flying VFR in those conditions but on the other hand I regularly see both rotary and fixed wing pilots scudding southwards here in Harrow with Harrow Hill less than a mile away due south.

All most regrettable.

Regards

Member for

12 years 2 months

I saw the report on the news, and can't help but feel that pilot Pete Barnes (who was very experienced) is not here to defend himself when the client supposedly suggested 'not to take off'. How can someone suggest not to take off, surely cancelling and rescheduling the flight was an option, not just suggesting. We only hear one side of the story.

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 9 months

From the report it says "Mr Caring said he (the pilot) was a "very dear friend"" which would, no doubt, have influenced the nature of the conversation.

I have a good line of sight of Crystal Palace TV mast from here from a couple of miles. I do not know how to describe visibility correctly but as a layman I would say it was fair with haze. The mast is visible with its warning lights on at 09:30 which is obviously well after sunrise.

Member for

15 years

The latest news item is a load of rubbish.
The pilot flew into a crane. Mistakes happen.

Member for

17 years 2 months

Reports that the obstruction lights on the crane were only switched on at night. If so they should be on 24/7 but whether the pilot would have seen them in the visibility that morning would be greatly reduced . Are they stroboscopic ? that would catch the attention,particularly in a high cockpit workload environment getting ready to land at Battersea.

Member for

15 years

Reports that the obstruction lights on the crane were only switched on at night. If so they should be on 24/7 but whether the pilot would have seen them in the visibility that morning would be greatly reduced . Are they stroboscopic ? that would catch the attention,particularly in a high cockpit workload environment getting ready to land at Battersea.

I think the crane is a red herring for want of a better phrase.
You could have lit up the crane like Christmas. Human error is the cause here. Mistakes happen. You can try to make a situation as safe as possible but life and human nature intervene. This is just an unfortunate accident and nothing more. We are all human. We are all fallible. Situations in life occur and accidents happen. It's life. Well, that's my opinion anyway.

Member for

13 years 5 months

and I totally agree with you hampden98.

Member for

15 years 3 months

This is just an unfortunate accident and nothing more.

Disagree. This incident was caused by a respected and experienced pilot discounting the risks; he ought not to have been flying VFR in those conditions. Why he chose to do so will probably never be known, but as I said in an earlier post rotary and fixed wing aircraft quite often fly over or near to my house in North Harrow, scudding in very marginal conditions with Harrow Hill just to the south. The practice ought to be stopped.

Regards

Profile picture for user paul1867

Member for

11 years 9 months

Whilst this accident does raise interesting questions we should remember that very sadly two people lost their lives and we should be sensitive to the feelings of relatives and friends. Perhaps we should only discus facts in evidence and general concerns whilst we await the conclusions of the accident investigation.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Disagree. This incident was caused by a respected and experienced pilot discounting the risks; he ought not to have been flying VFR in those conditions. Why he chose to do so will probably never be known, but as I said in an earlier post rotary and fixed wing aircraft quite often fly over or near to my house in North Harrow, scudding in very marginal conditions with Harrow Hill just to the south. The practice ought to be stopped.

Regards

Oh I do love an arm chair expert.

Member for

13 years 5 months

I will wait until the AAIB final report before commenting further other than to say its a great shame that two people lost their lives in this and the person on the ground can have no blame attached to him!

Member for

19 years 3 months

I think the crane is a red herring for want of a better phrase.
You could have lit up the crane like Christmas. Human error is the cause here.

It always is when the guy isn't around to speak for himself.