F-22 Doing A Cobra Maneuver

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 5 months

By that measure then I guess the US has loads of supercruise experience seeing how the SR-71 supercruised at Mach 3.2 for nearly four times as long as the Mig-31 could supercruise at Mach 2.3 huh? Not to mention all the time that was racked up by the Hustler supercruising.

true but none SR-71 flew over territory patrolled by MiG-31 tell me why?

Member for

18 years 5 months

If it was mere supersonic speed they wanted they didnt have to spend the millions and billions in making the F-119 to give those levels of thrust at dry power ( they produce enough thrust at dry power then many do at wet power) , they could have just built themselves an interceptor like the Mig-31 , mig-25 , but they wanted to add those qualities of dedicated interceptors into ALL ASPECT fighters like the Su-27 f-15 etc , and being able to supercruise at mach 1.7 at 45K gives the best of both worlds ( with time it should go up as engines are made more performing ).

What is a Supercruise engine? Russia already had the AL-41 it is a very powerful engine too

Member for

20 years 3 months

Yes and how much power at dry setting does it deliver ??

Supercruising engine is simply something that can power the aircraft it is designed to power ( like f-22 for f-119) to supersonic speeds ( usually significantly over mach 1 ) without having to go into gas guzzling Afterburners . Basically you want to acheive max possible thrust generated in Dry mode ( you want to up that as compared to traditional engines)

Member for

20 years 3 months

For many reasons , however the point still remains that the Sr-71 could sustain high speed for longer .

Member for

18 years 5 months

Really? When did the Fulcrum and Flanker start packing stealthy nozzles?

The Mig-31 cannot fly at Mach 2.3 for 30 minutes without afterburners.

How do you base the MiG-31 uses afterburner?
the yield of the D30F-6 is 15510 kg of thrust slightly worst than the F-22, see this fact the F-22 the F-119 has a yield of 155 KN and the D30 of 152 KN, the Raptor can not supercruise at 2.35.

If the Mig-31 can supercruise at mach 2.35 and the F-22 can not tell me you have the MiG-31 manual where it gives you the time it can supercruise at Mach 1.5? that is classifed data even in the F-22

Do you know why the Russians are making the Su-35BM with new engines of more than 14 tonns of thrust?

Member for

19 years 4 months

If it was mere supersonic speed they wanted they didnt have to spend the millions and billions in making the F-119 to give those levels of thrust at dry power ( they produce enough thrust at dry power then many do at wet power) , they could have just built themselves an interceptor like the Mig-31 , mig-25 , but they wanted to add those qualities of dedicated interceptors into ALL ASPECT fighters like the Su-27 f-15 etc , and being able to supercruise at mach 1.7 at 45K gives the best of both worlds ( with time it should go up as engines are made more performing ).

I know.

Member for

19 years 4 months

who cares?

Member for

19 years 4 months

What is a Supercruise engine? Russia already had the AL-41 it is a very powerful engine too

Yeah and it's not even to the stage of developement the F119 was fifteen years ago. Fifteen years ago the F119 had already flown on two different fighters and on one of them flew with vectoring thrust nozzles and demonstrated them. When has the AL-41 done any of that?

Member for

18 years 3 months

You gotta be kidding me. How many times have we been over this?

Member for

20 years 3 months

How do you base the MiG-31 uses afterburner?
the yield of the D30F-6 is 15510 kg of thrust slightly worst than the F-22, see this fact the F-22 the F-119 has a yield of 155 KN and the D30 of 152 KN, the Raptor can not supercruise at 2.35.

How come yeilds are being taken as those to be at DRY SETTINT ??? you realize that the max thrust available is only available in AFTERBURNER right ??

Member for

19 years 4 months

You gotta be kidding me. How many times have we been over this?

LOL, wait a while Firebar and OverG ought to be by any minute. ;)

Member for

20 years 3 months

When has the AL-41 done any of that?

Isnt it due to be fitted into the T-10BM ?? which means that it should be doing quite good now ?

Member for

18 years 5 months

Yeah and it's not even to the stage of developement the F119 was fifteen years ago. Fifteen years ago the F119 had already flown on two different fighters and on one of them flew with vectoring thrust nozzles and demonstrated them. When has the AL-41 done any of that?

Do you read aviation news? Russia had almost completed the Al-41 tests.

Member for

18 years 5 months

How come yeilds are being taken as those to be at DRY SETTINT ??? you realize that the max thrust available is only available in AFTERBURNER right ??

okay give me the dry settings for the F-119?

Member for

18 years 5 months

who cares?

what a hypocritical answer who cares yeah yeah you know well who cared: the USAF and THE CIA,

Member for

18 years 3 months

what a hypocritical answer who cares yeah yeah you know well who cared: the USAF and THE CIA,

Good for them, we don't becuase it has nothing to do with the Raptor.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Do you read aviation news? Russia had almost completed the Al-41 tests.

What aircraft is a 44,000lb thrust AL-41 with a vectoring nozzle flying on? (44k because that's what's been claimed for it in the past).

Member for

19 years 4 months

Isnt it due to be fitted into the T-10BM ?? which means that it should be doing quite good now ?

From what I've read (admittedly not much) it's a cut down version. The original for the MFI was supposedly rated at 44klbs. The one on the T-10BM I thought was only something like 34k if that.

Member for

20 years 3 months

okay give me the dry settings for the F-119?

Something that is still clasified ( like the max power setting on the F119 ( they give class not exact thrust) ) however most suggest it is somewhere between the 24K to 29K range ,maybe Aerospacetech or adrian44 can clarify it more clearly but from the unclassified info that is what is available , the point being that it would need to be quite high because the F-22 isnt what you call a light weight fighter and to push it to speeds of mach 1.7 at 45 k without having to speed through the afterburner and use 35-40K of thrust means that you need a whole lot of thrust to be available at dry power setting and that was the goal if you read many of the books about the ATF , which also speculate between this particular range as the exact no.s are still classified /

Member for

18 years 5 months

What aircraft is a 44,000lb thrust AL-41 with a vectoring nozzle flying on? (44k because that's what's been claimed for it in the past).

I think you do not understand why Russia is behind in fighter technology, Russia at this moments has almost all the technologies for a fifth generation fighter but they lack an airframe that combines all those technologies.

The MiG-31 has supercruise at least for 30 minutes it will fly at Mach 2.35, no other Russian aircraft will do that however lacks stealth and supermanoeuvrability, probably the F-22 has a more economical and modern engine.

The MiG-29OVT and Su-35BM are at least as agile as the F-22 but they have not supercruise or stealth Probably the SU-35 has some degree of supercruise .

Now in 2006 Russia is working on at least one F-22 equivalent and one F-35 equivalent and updating the Su-35 to Eurofighter level .

The MiG-1.42 was a Eurofighter equivalent but Russia decided to go for the F-22 equivalent and halted further work on the MiG.1.42 at least as we know it because the new MiG I-21 might have some degree of MiG-1.44 ancestry.

Russia`s test pilot was the creator of the Pugachev Cobra, the F-22 can do it albeit with thrust vectoring the most likely, without thrust vectoring the Su-27 can do it, the F-16 also can do the Cobra but also with thrust vectoring.

Russia has shown at least in technology is almost on par and sometimes ahead.

however economically the US has the money to build what in Russia at least up to now have only been prototypes.