Yak-38

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Yak-38

http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/attack/yak38/yak38-4.jpg

Yakovlev's Yak-38, whose production began in 1975 was probably the first(?) operational V/STOL a/c in the world and the longest operational Russian V/STOL a/c which also was unique in the world. And I think, the net has got not much good info on these machines and their performance with the Russian Navy. But unlike the more media published and known a/c - Harriers, these Russian jets lifted itself with the aid of a main turbojet engine and two smaller lift engines mounted behind the cockpit. And probably, the Yak-141 was an extention and expansion to the experience from these machines, and with that family relations Yak-38 was probably the Grand-daddy of the F-35 which was 'inspired' by the Yak-141 which all happened during the Vadoka Unkils grand auctioning of Russia. In other words it was 'festive offer' from Russia, for many.

Yak-38 had one turbojet engine (R-27V-300) and two lift engines (Rybinsk RD-36-35FVR) which lifted these machines. The Yak-38s engine was more powerful than the Harriers.

http://music.jnu.edu.cn/air-net/WM-PIC/S-1/Yak-X/Yak-38805.jpg

http://worldweapon.ru/images/sam/yak38/yak38_13.jpg

Yak-38 spec

Dimensions
Length - 16.37 m
Height - 4.25
Ppan - 7.02 m
Folded - 4.45 m
Wing area - 18.41 m2

Weight
Empty equipped - 7020 kg
Normal takeoff - 10300 kg
Internal fuel - 2750 kg

Engine
Main engine - 1 x R -27V-300 Turbojet
Thrust - 1 X 6100 kg
Lift Engines - 2 x RD -36-35FVR turbojet
Thrust - 2 X 3050 kg

Performance
speed at height - 1100 km/h
speed at sea level - 1210 km/h
Max rate of climb - 4500 m/min
service ceiling - 11000 m max
Operational overloading - 6g

Service range,
Normal - 680 km
with vertical takeoff - 500 km
Combat radius - 250 -370 km

Combat load - 1500 kg

Yak-38 layout diagram
Yak-38, armament layout diagram
Main engine & lift engine layout diagram

Here some very beautiful livery on the Yak-38s, It never ever earlier crossed my mind that these a/c were also a beauty, as is the case with almost all Russian a/c.

Second experimental model Yak-36M
http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/attack/yak38/yak38-c7.jpg

Yak-38
http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/attack/yak38/yak38-c1.jpg

Yak-38, 1975
http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/attack/yak38/yak38-c2.jpg

Yak-38, 1976
http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/attack/yak38/yak38-c3.jpg

Yak-38 that participating in the operation "rhomb", Afghanistan,1980
http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/attack/yak38/yak38-c4.jpg

Yak-38
http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/attack/yak38/yak38-c5.jpg

Yak-38, 1983
http://www.airwar.ru/image/idop/attack/yak38/yak38-c6.jpg

more can be read here in Russian

And one good pic of the Yak-38 lifting (?)vertically. Hope u guys can see the two 'pillars' created by the exhaust from the main engine and the lift fans mounted behind the cockpit.

Also, need more info on this Russian V/STOL aircraft and I've some questions -
- How was its performance with the Russian Navy?
- How many were build and how many still active/reserve?
- Why did the Russians withdraw all the Yak-38s from Ukraine from her Black Sea Fleet even though they let go off some carriers to Ukraine for FREE??

Original post

Member for

20 years 9 months

did the Yak really participate in Afghanistan? I like to see some real pics of it as the land camouflage looks nice on it.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Everything I've seen has said the Forger was mediocre at best.

Member for

24 years 5 months

F-18 to answer your question, they actually did participate in Afghanistan in air-to-ground strikes. I don't think they were nearly as heavily involved as most land-based Soviet jets, but they did see some action though I can't say what types of muntions were used. I'd guess UB-32 rocket pods and probably 250-kg bombs. I doubt the AS-7 (Kh-23) was used, although the Forger could carry the missile.

Member for

19 years 4 months

From what I understand,The Forger was underpowered in the hot and high conditions of Afghanistan,and as a result could carry only a small payload,therefore the Su-25 proved better in the CAS/Strike roles.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Good thread Blackcat:)

The McDonnell Douglas / British Aerospace / Northrop Grumman teams JSF proposal was closer to the Yak-38 and Yak-141 than the F-35 design.
It had a seperate lift engine like the Yaks and a straight through jet pipe that closed off for STOVL ops with the exhaust diverted to 2 side nozzles under the butterfly tail planes.
Take a look here http://www.jsf.mil/gallery/gal_photo_cddr_mda-ngc-bae.htm

Attachments

Member for

19 years 9 months

The Harrier was in service before 1975, Blackcat. They were in service in 1969.

And I thought that BAE worked with Lockheed Martin on the F-35 bid, not with McDonnell Douglas, (which is now owned by Boeing I think).

What happened to the Yak 41 project, was it just scrapped at the end of the cold war?

Member for

24 years 5 months

Good thread Blackcat:)

The McDonnell Douglas / British Aerospace / Northrop Grumman teams JSF proposal was closer to the Yak-38 and Yak-141 than the F-35 design.
It had a seperate lift engine like the Yaks and a straight through jet pipe that closed off for STOVL ops with the exhaust diverted to 2 side nozzles under the butterfly tail planes.
Take a look here http://www.jsf.mil/gallery/gal_photo_cddr_mda-ngc-bae.htm

You are confusing the layouts of the Yak-38 and Yak-141.....

The Yak-38 had two swivelling nozzles on the lift/cruise engine - the Yak-141 has a single straight-through nozzle with translating cowl - exactly the same as the F-35!!

The only basic difference is that the Yak-141 has two lift engines behind the cockpit whereas the F-35 has a lift fan in the same position.

http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/models_pages/modl_yak-141-ani_files/yak_141_23.jpg

The rest of the model pics are at :- http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/models_pages/modl_yak-141_ani.html

If you compare the 'advanced' Yak-141M and the F-35 - you will see that the layouts are almost identical - including trapezoidal wings.

There are rumours that Rolls Royce got their lobster-back translating cowl (on the F-35) from the Russians.

Ken

Member for

24 years 5 months

Damd good thread, with good pics, the info is a little off though.

From all accounts I've read, the Forger was rather sluggish and turned like a cow, it's turn radius was similar to the F-4's. The harrier held more advantages over it though and the main one was used in the Falklands to good effect, the abillity to hover in flight and fly backwards.

I read one pilots account from the FAA who stated "I had a Harrier lined up in my sites and just as I squeezed my trigger, he stopped in mid-air, shot up and jumped in behind me and fired on me. The Harriers ability to rotate it's nozzels beyond 90* is IMHO what has made it one of the best planes ever made. The Yak 38, Yak 141 and the F-35 can't do this, nor would they be able to fly backwards as they must provide suffiicient air flow in to the lift jets.

Having said that, the Yak's did have some of their own capabilities that the Harrier didn't. The Yak 38 had an incredible self landing system and the Yak 141 was the first VSTOL plan to go supersonic, something the Westerners really hadn't been able to do. After the Cold War, it was no suprise to me that the American's targeted this plane and it's technology to form part of it's new design to replace the Harrier!

Member for

20 years 3 months

And I thought that BAE worked with Lockheed Martin on the F-35 bid, not with McDonnell Douglas, (which is now owned by Boeing I think).

BAE joined up with Lockheed Martin on the F-35 bid after the McDonnell Douglas / British Aerospace / Northrop Grumman team was eliminated from the JSF competition.

Member for

20 years 3 months

You are confusing the layouts of the Yak-38 and Yak-141.....

The Yak-38 had two swivelling nozzles on the lift/cruise engine - the Yak-141 has a single straight-through nozzle with translating cowl - exactly the same as the F-35!!

The only basic difference is that the Yak-141 has two lift engines behind the cockpit whereas the F-35 has a lift fan in the same position.

No I wasn't:), your right about the 3-bearing swivel nozzle being used on both the Yak-141 and X/F-35 of course, but its a big difference between lift jets and shaft driven lift fans, IMO.

Another thing the JSF will have in common with the Yaks is that a auto-eject system has been introduced to counter the lift-fan failure condition for the F-35B STOVL aircraft.
See here http://www.martin-baker.co.uk/eject_mk16E.htm

Member for

24 years 5 months

My memory was out - the 'developed' Yak-141 was the Yak-43.

It was only a proposed upgrade of the Yak-141, but it looked remarkably like the X-35.......

As for the lift jets vs fans - I was trying to point out that the 'layout' was the same - a vectoring lift/cruise engine with the same nozzle arrangement at the rear, balanced by lift 'engines' at the front end.

The only difference is the way it is provided - 2 jets or a large fan.

Both schemes result in having a heavy weight to be lugged around when not in use - which is where the Harrier scores - although the Pegasus has to be matched for lift rather than cruise.

As for Ja's contention that it was "the first VSTOL plan to go supersonic, something the Westerners really hadn't been able to do" - I think you may get some argument from the French - with the Balzac & the Mirage IIIV.

I think the German VJ-101 also went supersonic - and the P-1154 was designed to do so.

Ken

Member for

24 years 5 months

Ja, where are you getting the info that the Yak-38 was sluggish? I've never heard that, although to be honest I've heard very little about the flight characteristics of the Forger in the first place.

Member for

20 years 10 months

Everything about the Yak-38 was mediocore. It's avionics, it had a very poor payload, something like 4 hardpoints, and a combat radius of only 100km. It would've not given Soviet Carriers at that time any decent Air Defense cover. The harrier was much better in many ways.

Member for

20 years 4 months

The Yak-38 was an interim fighter - meant to gain experience in V/STOL operations. An excellent book that covers the Yak-38, Yak-38M Forger and Yak-141 is John Fricker & Piotr Butowski's "Yakovlevs VTOL fighters".

Some tidbits from the book
1. The Yak-38M had an automatic ejection system - if during a hover, sink rate, roll and pitch limitations were exceeded the ejection seat fired automatically. Resulting in a very surprised pilot no doubt! :)

2. The weight of the 2 lift engines and the single engine was calculated to be lighter than a purpose built Pegasus like (Harrier) engine - it was more efficient to have those than the swiveling nozzles!

3. The stability augmentation system of the Yak was great, it could do a fully automatic vertical landing. But it was also complex, so a STOL (running) takeoff/landing wasnt perfected till very late in the service life of the Yak. So every takeoff/landing HAD to be vertical. The Harrier gained a lot of its load capability by doing running takeoff, I believe every 500 ft it rolled it could carry 50% extra load or something like that.

4. It was actually used in combat missions in Afghanistan in 1979 but only for a few months. Its performance was so marginal that it could do only dusk/dawn takeoffs! It also resulted in huge plumes of sand being thrown about that caused other airplane operations to cease!

ASP

The testing of the Yak in afghanistan is not really that surprising. Remember at the time the Harrier was being touted as the only western fighter that would survive after the first few hours of WWIII. (the reasoning being that all airfields would be unusable within hours).

As such the idea of using vertical take off aircraft as a CAS as well as light fighter was quite normal rather than exceptional.

Regarding its flight performance its main problem was that it was designed for all out speed. This led to the use of a small wing for low drag and therefore reduced fuel capacity and reduced lift. A larger heavier wing able to carry fuel but able to support more weight in a rolling takeoff would have made a difference, but in any case the Russians were looking for a ship based fighter to intercept Orions or Hawkeyes. It was never intended to take on enemy fighters.

That planned Yak-43 mentioned above was to have had a 20 ton thrust engine based on the NK-321 engine of the Tu-160. It would have been a very impressive aircraft.

The Yak-38 and Yak-38M had the distinction of killing fewer pilots than Harrier did, but then its loss rate was much higher due based on time spent in the air.

Member for

24 years 5 months

PII: Mate I've read many books over the years that state this fact, including one which had an account from an RN pilot who raced a Yak pilot once up around Norway I think it was.

I have a book here called "Soviet Weapons of War" and it too states that it Forger was not as good as the harreir in the speed department.

Member for

24 years 5 months

I believe the Yak was about as fast as the original Harrier GR.3 and similar models, but the lighter Sea Harrier is obviously much faster.

As far as the Yak's intended roles I'm glad that you mentioned it was intended to intercept MPA's and the like because I had read that somewhere, but I never could confirm if it was true or not. What would a typical air defense load have consisted of Garry? I know the Yak could carry 23-mm gun pods, Aphids, and fuel tanks, but how would it have been configured with only four hardpoints?

As you describe the weapon load would probably have been two gunpods and two aphids. The latter were certainly capable of bringing down an MPA, and not the most manouverable of fighters the Yak could certainly outmanouver any MPA.

From my info the Yak-38M introduced more thrust but at the cost of greater fuel consumption so tanks were more likely a necessity for the M model than the earlier model. I have read that the M model was transonic in a dive but not often enough for me to believe it. Early reports of the first model also suggested it was supersonic too... I think they were basing their opinions on the small thin wing designed for low drag and high speed.

My memory was out - the 'developed' Yak-141 was the Yak-43.

It was only a proposed upgrade of the Yak-141, but it looked remarkably like the X-35.......

As for the lift jets vs fans - I was trying to point out that the 'layout' was the same - a vectoring lift/cruise engine with the same nozzle arrangement at the rear, balanced by lift 'engines' at the front end.

The only difference is the way it is provided - 2 jets or a large fan.

Both schemes result in having a heavy weight to be lugged around when not in use - which is where the Harrier scores - although the Pegasus has to be matched for lift rather than cruise.

As for Ja's contention that it was "the first VSTOL plan to go supersonic, something the Westerners really hadn't been able to do" - I think you may get some argument from the French - with the Balzac & the Mirage IIIV.

I think the German VJ-101 also went supersonic - and the P-1154 was designed to do so.

Ken

Wow... clearly there is a large Yak-43 influence on the JSF!

Member for

20 years 6 months

The Harrier was in service before 1975, Blackcat. They were in service in 1969.

yup ur correct there, i shud have mentioed the NAVAL V/STOL, i guess, the Sea Harrier came in only in the start of the 80s and they did not had to wait long to get crowned. So in that sense the Yak-38 was the operational naval V/STOL a/c.

Ken,

As usual, u come in with some damn good stuffs & links and this time is no exception. Hats off to U.

SteveO

Tks for that compli :) ... also to Ja ...

... more later......