Philippine Air Force

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

24 years 7 months

Ok here is a topic which has nothing to do with India, China, Pakistan or any combo of them.......

Philippine Air Force

Multi Role Fighters
18 F-5A/B (more in storage/used for parts)

COIN
23 OV-10C

Maritime Patrol Plane
10 BN-2

Jet Trainers
16 S-211

Prop Trainers
33 SF-260M/W

Transports
8 C-130B/L
8 F-27
12 N-22B

Attack Helicopters
33 MD-530

Transport Helicopters
65 UH-1B/H
16 S-76
2 Puma
2 S-70A

AAM
AIM-9B

Plans
more F-5A/Bs
new multi role fighter
F-5E/Fs
mew jet trainers (?????)
new prop trainer (KT-1B, Tucano, PC-9)
more UH-1Hs

Here is stuff they have been offered.........

New Multi Role Fighter
F/A-18A/B
F-16A/B Block 15 OCU (upgraded)
Mirage 2000E/D
JAS-39C/D
Su-27SK/30MK
MiG-29A/SE/M

Stop Gap Fighter
F-5E/F (from ROCA/SK/Saudis)
Kfir C-7/C-2000
Mirage F-1CT
A-4K (New Zealand)

Helicopters
AH-1 (surplus US Army)
Bell 212
Mi-8/17
Mi-24D/35E

What do people here think they should do?

Original post

Member for

20 years 11 months

"topic which has nothing to do with India, China, Pakistan or any combo of them"

bravo

Member for

20 years 11 months

Here is waht I would do:

New Multi Role Fighter
JAS-39C/D (I think that this is a good choice. New, relativley inexpesive, ease of maintenance.)

Stop Gap Fighter
F-5E/F (from ROCA/SK/Saudis) They all ready use the type, so it would simplify logistics.

Helicopters
AH-1 (surplus US Army)

new prop trainer (KT-1B, Tucano, PC-9)
Tucano It might lead to the ALX(?), Super Tucano which could be used to replace the OV-10C and help with logistics.

Anyway this what I would do.:)

Member for

24 years 7 months

Thailand has just (last week) donated another four OV-10C Broncos.

"Not a lot of people know that" (Michael Caine)

Steve ~ Touchdown-News

Member for

24 years 7 months

In my thoughts they have a shortfall in air defense, strike/CAS, anti shipping and troop mobility.

so add in........

48 F-5E/F (36/12) from Taiwan (offered almost for free)
30 KT-1B
10 C-130H (ex USAF)
24 AH-1 (off the shelf)
48 Mi-8 (off the shelf)

wait a few more years........

28 JAS-39C/D (18/10) or 24 Su-30MK
24 MiG-AT (to replace S-211)

That could take them by 2012ish to..........

28 JAS-39C/D (18/10)
48 F-5E/F (36/12)
30 OV-10C
24 MiG-AT
30 KT-1B
18 C-130
24 AH-1
32 MD-530
48 Mi-8
65 UH-1H

For weapons they should/could look into......

AIM-120B (for JAS-39C/D)
Python 4 (For JAS-39C/D, F-5E/F)
AIM-9L/M (for JAS-39C/D, F-5E/F)
RBS-15 (JAS-39C/D)
AGM-65 (for JAS-39C/D, F-5E/F)

The problem is they don't seem to be able to spend thier money well..........

The PhAF is so poor about all it could hope for at this point is a couple of squadrons of ex-Taiwanese F-5's.......

Member for

24 years 7 months

They are better served by getting more helicopter gunships and troop carriers to help them defeat Moslem insurgents, e.g. Abu Sayaf group, MNLF, etc,.

Originally posted by crobato
They are better served by getting more helicopter gunships and troop carriers to help them defeat Moslem insurgents, e.g. Abu Sayaf group, MNLF, etc,.

I would agree but, doesn't the Philippines have issues with its neighbors over the Sprately Islands? What is the PhAF and/or Navy going to do about that?

Member for

20 years 11 months

Please don't mention China and India in the same breath. Unless you're deliberately trying to instigate a flamewar.

China is Pacific Rim along with the Philipines.

India and Pakistan are Indian subcontinent.

The PacRim and the Subcontinent have nothing to do with each other.

ROCAF F-5E/F's are in extremely good condition. The same could be said of A-4s from Singapore which the PAF is also inquiring about. Possibly A-4s from New Zealand too.

I don't believe they're expecting anything like 48 fighters of any kind. At most, maybe two squadrons of a dozen each.

They only operate 10 F-5 A/Bs in a single interception/training squadron now.

http://www.taiwanairpower.org/images/f5/5414.jpg

http://www.taiwanairpower.org/images/f5/5281.jpg

http://www.taiwanairpower.org/images/f5/5412.jpg

Member for

24 years 7 months

Those Spratly issues are minor. Maybe I have not stated it correctly---such issues are almost insignificant compared to the Muslim rebellion which kill more Filipinos each day than Americans in Iraq.

These Muslim rebels are a different breed from Al Qaeda, Hamas, and all the Jihadists. They combine the tenacity and stamina of a Filipino jungle fighter with the fury and anger of Moslem fundamentalism and sheer tribal headhunter savagery.

They like to kidnap and chop people's heads off and a few foreign (read mostly American) missionaries among their victims.

Agreed.....

Member for

24 years 7 months

Multi Role Fighters

24 Kfir 2000 (Israel)

COIN

40 OV-10C (USA / Thailand)

Jet Trainers

32 S.211 (Italy)

Prop Trainers

24 SF-260M/W (Italy)
24 EMB-314 (Brazil)

Transports

5 C-130H (USA)
10 CN-235 (Spain)

Maritime Patrol Plane

5 CN-235MP (Spain)
10 BN-2 (UK)

Attack Helicopters

25 MD-530 (USA)
25 MD-900 (USA)

Transport Helicopters

50 UH-1H (USA)
25 S-76 (USA)
25 S-70A (USA)

AAM

Python 5 (Israel)
Derby (Israel)

ASM / AShM

Popeye Lite (Israel)
Gabriel III (Israel)

I think this would be a good modernization program for the Philippines.

Member for

24 years 7 months

Troung,
Your numbers at the top of the thread are way too high. Of the F-5s, only some 3 to 5 are operational at any given time at most, and the same is true for the S.211s. I believe earlier this year only three Marchettis were available to the whole PhAF jet pilot community. For the transports the situation is equally poor: it seems none of the Fokkers are in any way ready to fly, and again only two or three Hercs.

The only part of the PhAF which is being funded to the point of being operationally worthwile is the helo fleet, of course because of it's mission against the Islamist insurgents. Lucky enough for the Phillipines, the US has taken some interest in fighting the militant followers of Mohammed around the world, which means that US Hercs and helos currently fly the Phillipine troops (and some US SpecFors unless they try their submersible Chinook) into harm's way.

As for reforms: considering they are incredibly short on funds, i would get rid of the fighters entirely. A dozen jets are going to be worthless in any possible conflict anyway, so why bother? In stead, i would focus on COIN (but not with oh-so-cool but oh-so-long-in-the-tooth Broncos. I'd go for Super Tucanos), transport and most of all patrol. Something like the C212, equipped for both overland and naval patrol, with possibly a few FFAR's to plink at smaller targets. And if there's a bigger target to be destroyed, just tell the Americans it's something Islamic.

Member for

20 years 11 months

gosh no offence but with an airforce like that... if i were a terrorist/insurgent i'd just buy some iglas.... and i can whack down half the PhAF

Member for

24 years 7 months

Yep, Arthur is right.

Fighters - what for`?? If they get int oa major conflict with any of their neighbouring countries 12, 24 or 36 F-5s won´t make a difference, yet they would suck a big part of the budget.

First they need more helos. More troop carriers and perhaps some AH-1s so that they can make a pink team with those and the MD-530.

The Broncos are old and could be retired. A Super Tucano (like those used by Brazil) would be a good replacement.

Then upgrade the patrol aircraft. Keep the Islanders and add some CASA 295. Troop carriers as well. And if funds permit I would want to get CASA 295 mini Gunships. Say 2x20 mm guns in the door with IR capability and flare dop possibility, should be nice for night ops against local guerillias and those machine would be priceless if you need to defend a freindly outpost at night.

Finally some cheap UAVs.

Member for

24 years 7 months

As for new fighters they could be in need of them provided something happens over the Spratlys. Malaysia used Hawk 208s to chase away PhAF OV-10s a couple years ago.

I don't think the OV-10 is in dire need of replacing. It has good firepower for the close air support role and they are getting more from Thailand.

As for their F-5A/B fleet they have just gotten 3 more F-5As from South Korea to add to thier 15 air frames in "service" and could get more. The 48 F-5E/Fs are still on offer from Taiwan basically for free.

Now they do need to phase out the SF-260M/W and S-211 and find some better trainers.

Of course maybe they could look into low cost/surplus Su-25K/UBKs, Mi-24s and Mi-8s to better support the army.

The problem with them is not the fact that the nation is poor but the fact they have corrupt officers.

Member for

24 years 7 months

Originally posted by troung

Of course maybe they could look into low cost/surplus Su-25K/UBKs, Mi-24s and Mi-8s to better support the army.

That is something I would see as a bad idea. Going Russian would mean a second source for spares, and you need hard cash to buy spares. You need to retrain your pilots and maintenance personal as they are not used to russian hardware.

Wit hsuch limited budget I would rather go for used AH-1 and Uh-1 of the US Army, which would not be more expensive and bettter fit into the current struture.

Btw. I still see the need for fighters. Today Malaysia uses Hawks to chase away the Bronco. If they get some F-5E Malaysia will use SU-30s to do the same. It is a no win situation.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Fighters are necessary simply for air space interdiction and control. Austria only has one squadron but that squadron is still very necessary for establishing its control over its own airspace. So even if we discount the Spratleys, fighters are critical for sovereignty issues over air space alone even if its only over Manila.

This is important in peace time, without war.

But trying to maintain 48 F-5E/Fs would be a problem. The expense of maintaining them is partly why the ROCAF is giving them away.

Also, it would mean the expense of training both new pilots and ground crew for a pretty substantial new force. The PAF never operated that many fighters before.

The PAF needs fighters but not 48 of them (or 63 combining what they have now).

Member for

21 years 1 month

some infos on Philippines

1) its a very poor country, economy is going down south along with rest of the ASEAN
2) the president don't trust the military at all, so expect any big budget purchases

Spratlys. Malaysia used Hawk 208s to chase away PhAF OV-10s a couple years ago.

Not much they can do, surrounded by both much more militarily and economically neighbors. PLAN send a Jiangwei to chase away the PhN couple years back too

Member for

24 years 7 months

"But trying to maintain 48 F-5E/Fs would be a problem. The expense of maintaining them is partly why the ROCAF is giving them away."

Not as much as the fact the ROCAF also has better fighters in service.

"Also, it would mean the expense of training both new pilots and ground crew for a pretty substantial new force. The PAF never operated that many fighters before."

Actually they did during the 1950-1970s. They first had 70 or so F-51Ds, then 55 F-86D/Fs, then 25 F-5A/Bs and 35 F-8Hs. When you think it only since the 1980s have they started to become so weak.

"That is something I would see as a bad idea. Going Russian would mean a second source for spares, and you need hard cash to buy spares. You need to retrain your pilots and maintenance personal as they are not used to russian hardware."

Well they would not be the only nation in South East Asia to use Russia as a second source for weapons. The reason I would think the Su-25 would be a good idea is the fact they would have good air to ground firepower at a low cost to purchase. And I would assume you would have to retrain your pilots and ground crew for just about any plane coming int o service.

Member for

20 years 11 months

Originally posted by troung
"But trying to maintain 48 F-5E/Fs would be a problem. The expense of maintaining them is partly why the ROCAF is giving them away."

Not as much as the fact the ROCAF also has better fighters in service.

True but maintenance costs are always reasons part of the reason that Air Forces get rid of usable airframes (and the ROCAF's F-5s are in great shape). Though the PLAAF, for years, seemed reluctant to give up any flyable airframe.

Actually they did during the 1950-1970s. They first had 70 or so F-51Ds, then 55 F-86D/Fs, then 25 F-5A/Bs and 35 F-8Hs. When you think it only since the 1980s have they started to become so weak.

Until 1991, the Phillipines armed forces operated under the aegis of the US. Between Clark and Subic, the US Air Force and Navy helped more than a little.

The P-51Ds were actually transferred from the USAAF after WWII and were used against the Hukbalahap guerillas.

The F-8Hs are actually up for sale.

http://members.rogers.com/rcruz3260/f-8sale.htm

PHILIPPINE AIR FORCE
Headquarters 420th Supply Wing
Clark Air Base, Angeles City, Pampanga

SALE THROUGH PUBLIC NEGOTIATION
The PAF Disposal Committee is accepting tender for the sale of the following disposable properties on “As Is — Where Is” basis through negotiation.

Eight (8) F-8H aircraft
Eighteen (18) T-28 engines
Two (2) lots of assorted aircraft parts

For details and schedule of inspection: call Cpt. Nick Ventura PAF at (045) 599-2014/2015 loc. 6524 or cell 0919-673-4092.

(Sgd.) BRIG GEN CLAUDIO P. ESTALILLA AFP
Chairman, PAF Disposal committee -

PDI — March 12,13 & 14,2003)

These are the remains of the once proud fleet of PAF F-8H Crusaders. At it's high point, the PAF owned 25 Crusaders in addition to another 10 other non-flyable airframes used as spares sources to keep the fleet flying. PAF Crusaders ranged over the Spartly Islands, participated in Cope Thunder exercises with the USAF and even intercepted Russian Bear bombers flying from bases in the Kamchatka penninsula to Vietnam. Nothing has replaced them. If the Russians or anyone else for that matter wanted to, they could fly circles over Manila and the Philippines would not be able to do anything about it except watch....

http://members.rogers.com/rcruz3260/images/forsale/F8H-316.jpg

http://members.rogers.com/rcruz3260/images/forsale/F8H-311.jpg