ACC starter trolley

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 6 months

Graham
Being as this is the spitfire forum :D
Here is a pic from Spitfire MkV Aces by Alfred Price.
Also thought it would be useful for your project and answering an earlier query of yours !
Please note the 2 tradesmen (fitter and rigger) and what is probably a 'gash' trade 'fairy' delving into the radio hatch (note clean uniform :D )
Trolley Acc with Chore Horse on top and very military wheels

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/books_003-1.jpg

Member for

17 years 8 months

Here are some more pictures of the wheels. i am beginning to think they are original to this trolley. If you look closely you can see the remains of RAF blue on the rims. They are of the right period and the trolley has not been modified as a towing trailer.

The other pics are of a very early generator for charging accumulators. The wheels on this are an added MOD from the base it was clearly designed to be bolted onto a solid base.

Member for

17 years 8 months

Graham
Being as this is the spitfire forum :D
Here is a pic from Spitfire MkV Aces by Alfred Price.
Also thought it would be useful for your project and answering an earlier query of yours !
Please note the 2 tradesmen (fitter and rigger) and what is probably a 'gash' trade 'fairy' delving into the radio hatch (note clean uniform :D )
Trolley Acc with Chore Horse on top and very military wheels

http://i695.photobucket.com/albums/vv316/volvosmoker/books_003-1.jpg

Thanks Baz thats a great picture.

Member for

17 years 8 months

Is anybody there all have you all gone to bed????????? Wake up Australia :D

Member for

17 years 8 months

Here is ours

http://photos-f.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc3/hs194.snc3/20145_277872581514_276401001514_4451414_3569014_n.jpg

Member for

19 years 7 months

At East Fortune.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Millom/Robert your trolleys are both post war and relatively common Mk.Vs.

Now yours Graham may be a bit rarer than I first thought. The controls for your 'acc' are bolted onto the end of the box while all other surviving 'accs' they are located on a additional smaller box.

There is a nice photo of the type you've got on the back of the book 'A History of the RAF Servicing Commandos' (sorry I don't have a scanner) but as far as I know you may have the only example of that type around!

Anne

Member for

17 years 8 months

Now yours Graham may be a bit rarer than I first thought. The controls for your 'acc' are bolted onto the end of the box while all other surviving 'accs' they are located on a additional smaller box.

There is a nice photo of the type you've got on the back of the book 'A History of the RAF Servicing Commandos' (sorry I don't have a scanner) but as far as I know you may have the only example of that type around!

Anne

Thanks Anne

Thats exactly what i was told when i bought it. Can you confirm the wheels are original ? they certainly have RAF blue paint on them. Could really use a picture so i can restore it, will have a search for that book..

Member for

17 years 8 months

Anne

Ouch £52 for a copy of that book any chance you could take a picture of the cover if you dont have a scanner?

Thanks

Graham

Member for

24 years 8 months

I’ll see what I can do tomorrow about the photo.

I’m still not convinced about your wheels. All the photos and drawings I’ve seen show the large pressed steel type with pneumatic tyres or solid wheels. That’s not to say that your example is wrong...just not the norm. Could be your wheels were replaced post war to a more readily available or cheaper size. I also note that the towing eye appears to be a rather agriculturally welded afterthought which was not unknown in service.

Anne

Member for

17 years 8 months

I’ll see what I can do tomorrow about the photo.

I’m still not convinced about your wheels. All the photos and drawings I’ve seen show the large pressed steel type with pneumatic tyres or solid wheels. That’s not to say that your example is wrong...just not the norm. Could be your wheels were replaced post war to a more readily available or cheaper size. I also note that the towing eye appears to be a rather agriculturally welded afterthought which was not unknown in service.

Anne

Thanks Anne

The wheels date from the 1930s and have RAF paint on them, I think that its unlikely they are a post war mod, steel pressed wheels are not the sort of thing to wear out so what would be the point of changing them?

Member for

14 years 8 months

I'm a bit confused here. Are we talking about mobile generators, general purpose trailers, trolleys or hand-carts?

Here's my 1937 contribution, complete with reclining erk!

Member for

15 years 1 month

I'm a bit confused here. Are we talking about mobile generators, general purpose trailers, trolleys or hand-carts?

Here's my 1937 contribution, complete with reclining erk!

A mobile sun lounger now that might catch on.!

Member for

18 years 2 months

The spoked wheels are probably "off the shelf" Rudge Whitworth wheels. Some had the natty little 'knock off' car type spinners and some used a domed nut. They have to be on a splined hub (otherwise they'll come undone if the "vehicle" is reversed. I have seen this type of wheel on other types of early ground equipment. It probably means a troll (or trawl) through Flight at sometime.

John

Member for

19 years 6 months

Thanks Anne

The wheels date from the 1930s and have RAF paint on them, I think that its unlikely they are a post war mod, steel pressed wheels are not the sort of thing to wear out so what would be the point of changing them?

Do the rims have a 'crows foot' or any ID numbers visible Graham ?

Member for

17 years 8 months

Do the rims have a 'crows foot' or any ID numbers visible Graham ?

There is no visable id marks/part numbers anywhere on the trolley, definately none on the wheels, maybe something will show up when we get the corrosion off:D

Member for

19 years 6 months

There is no visable id marks/part numbers anywhere on the trolley, definately none on the wheels, maybe something will show up when we get the corrosion off:D

Don't rub too hard now !! :D

Member for

17 years 8 months

Don't rub too hard now !! :D

Thanks what the wife said :diablo:

Member for

17 years 8 months

Thanks Ant

Thats great at least it confirms some used wire wheels, its a pitty the image isn a bit bigger it would help alot can you post the link to where you found it please?

Regards

Graham