ACC starter trolley

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 7 months

I was liucky enough to pick up this Acc trolley recently. Have been after one for a while to go with the Spitfire. I was trold this is a very early model ie pre war?
Any info anyone can give me or pictures/drawings of its original condition would be great. Any idea what the brackets on the tope are for.
I have an idea it had a generator mounted on it? I have a unit I think goes with it but nor sure so i need some info please before i can restore it.

Original post

Member for

19 years 5 months

I think the trolley accs with a small generator were called a 'chore horse'.the brackets on top are probably power cable tidy/holders.
small bsa 2 stroke ??
Your trolley wheels dont look very military Graham !! :D

Member for

20 years 9 months

Nice find. As an educated guess the brackets would be used to hold the cabling that plugs in to the aircraft.

Martin

Member for

20 years 9 months

beat me to it

Member for

15 years

I was liucky enough to pick up this Acc trolley recently

Are you sure you was lucky or unlucky it looks knackered well im sure you will restore it to it's former glory if it ever had one.

Member for

24 years 6 months

Ooh did someone say Trolley Acc!

Nice find...but there is a lot missing. Batteries, cables, plugs, switch, lid, wheels (the ones fitted are not the originals). Generators, which are one of the more common bits of kit around today, started to be fitted from about 1941, sometimes beside the box or more commonly on top.

Anne

Member for

18 years

Newark's example.

John

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Aeroclub/NewarkT11010.jpg

Member for

16 years 11 months

I thought the original wheels were pressed steel with holes in..if they are,I might be able to get hold of some,and some of the generator stuff for that matter..looks very similar to some gear my mate has in his stationary engine collection.

Member for

18 years 5 months

I’m not sure of the history / origins of the Newark unit and whether or not it’s received any ‘on-site mods!’ :confused:

Mr Petroni might be able to provide a few answers.

Member for

24 years 6 months

I thought the original wheels were pressed steel with holes in.

Press steel...yes, holes in...no.

The ones with holes in are the post war Mk.V.

The picture of the one at Newark is spot on although the colour looks a bit off. There is a good example of without a generator in the BoB Hall at Hendon and I think there's one at Duxford with a generator fitted.

Here's a variation on a the theme at Cosford.

John...Isn't it nice to know your not the only person who takes pictures of Trolley Accs!

Anne

Attachments

Member for

18 years

Anne
There's always someone wants an answer to a question :)
John

Member for

18 years 5 months

The picture of the one at Newark is spot on although the colour looks a bit off.

I’m still trying to work out exactly where in Hangar 1 the picture was taken – somewhere near the Vampire by the look of it! :confused:

In defence of the colour this may seem bizarre but NAMs original Restoration Co-ordinator (I’m sure he won’t mind me saying) was colour blind and over the years I’ve heard of some wondrous stories over paint orders at NAM!! :D

Member for

18 years

TO23, as you sumise it's against the wall behind the T.11. I took it when I was doing the drawings for the Vampires.

John

Member for

17 years 7 months

Thanks for all the posts. I have to say at this stage I am a little disappointed.
I have seen the type of Trolleys shown, I was told specifically when I bought this it was pre war precisely because it had wire wheels and mud guards.
The wheels of coarse could have been added anytime but the mud guards look in keeping with the rest of the trolley and have clearly been attached for some time.
Also none of the trolleys shown have these brackets, is it possible this is an earlier model or is it 100% the wrong wheels?
Some good news I do have the correct generator unit that sits on the box, I will also post a picture tomorrow of a starter generator that I have never seen before, luckily it has an aiministry plate on it. Think its dated 37 will have to wait until tomorrow to get a picture.
Does anyone have pictures of the front so I can see what is missing and a wiring diagram or a pic of the internals would be brilliant?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Thanks for all the posts. I have to say at this stage I am a little disappointed.
I have seen the type of Trolleys shown, I was told specifically when I bought this it was pre war precisely because it had wire wheels and mud guards.
The wheels of coarse could have been added anytime but the mud guards look in keeping with the rest of the trolley and have clearly been attached for some time.
Also none of the trolleys shown have these brackets, is it possible this is an earlier model or is it 100% the wrong wheels?
Some good news I do have the correct generator unit that sits on the box, I will also post a picture tomorrow of a starter generator that I have never seen before, luckily it has an aiministry plate on it. Think its dated 37 will have to wait until tomorrow to get a picture.
Does anyone have pictures of the front so I can see what is missing and a wiring diagram or a pic of the internals would be brilliant?

I would question whether such a hand drawn piece of equipment would ever have made such a turn of speed that it would require mudguards?

I notice that the hubs have very small knock on/off hub nuts, might these wheels and mudguards have been fitted to a very early car?

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/classic-car-images/vintagetrailer.jpg

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/trailers.htm

Are the hubs of the wheels splined onto a shaft? Any markings on the hub nut?

Member for

17 years 7 months

I would question whether such a hand drawn piece of equipment would ever have made such a turn of speed that it would require mudguards?

I notice that the hubs have very small knock on/off hub nuts, might these wheels and mudguards have been fitted to a very early car?

You make a very good point about the mud guards, the wheels look identical to the ones in your picture with small spinners I will check the hubs for marks tomorrow. One thing that puzzles me though if it had been converted into a trailer for towing where is the tow hitch and it still has its third wheel quite impossible to tow at speed, so why put different wheels and add a mud guard?

Member for

19 years 2 months

What did TFC do with their example after they got the Hoochin?

Member for

18 years

The hubs are too weak to be from a car. I think that they are the type fitted to motorcycle sidecars. They're not Austin 7 as they have no enlarged rear flange to fit over the brake drum.

John

Member for

17 years 7 months

http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/classic-car-images/vintagetrailer.jpg

Just read the link it seems this type of wheel dates from the 30s, could this be an early attempt at the ACC Trolley using readilyavailable wheels?
If the original wheels were replaced i would expect a post 40 style wheel?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Just read the link it seems this type of wheel dates from the 30s, could this be an early attempt at the ACC Trolley using readilyavailable wheels?
If the original wheels were replaced i would expect a post 40 style wheel?

Do the 'correct' wheels have roller element bearings fitted anyone? The pic of the Newark example appears to have a pin only retaining the wheel? Are these just plain bearing wheels on a greased shaft?

Might be a reason to fit earlier wheels if designed with bearings fitted if the intended new purpose of the former trolley ACC was a mbike trailer?

Could also just be a very early example of 'Bling' or pimp my trolley ACC up?:D