Cessna 310.. The most beautiful light twin?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 10 months

Believe it or not the first flight of the original 310 took place over 55 years ago, Jan 3rd 1953 to be exact, and was in production for 26 years. To me it has always been a real looker. Very pleasing curvy lines, tip tanks that don't look out of place, and that long nose oleo jutting forward just like an F7F Tigercat. It was also fairly fast for its day.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Cessna-310-Riley-65/1470209/m/

This is my choice.. but what do others think?

Original post

Member for

16 years 10 months

Nawwww.

Prefer the Seneca on the lighter side with the Duke being a real looker slightly heavier.
The Aerostar has to be the best looking light(ish) twin though.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Hmmm.. i can see where your coming from, but to me the Seneca looks ordinary, the duke looks a bit 'weird', and the Aerostar just bulky :p.

But thankfully we are all different ;). Anyone else?

Member for

16 years 10 months

I must admit to preferring the early models personally.. just looks so pretty.!

Member for

20 years 5 months

The Cessna 340 does it for me. (And it handles quite nicely too).

Member for

18 years 6 months

The 310 is a very pretty plane, remember seeing them as a lad at Blackbushe, mind you in those days there was only Cessna and Pipers about :rolleyes:

http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z99/Cliffair/IMG_3665.jpg

cheers Cliff

Member for

24 years 8 months

Miles Gemini

Member for

19 years 10 months

Compared to the comparatively ancient Piper Apache, its main competition in the US,...the Cessna 310 was a starship.
Dukes, 340s and Aerostars were in a different class, what was called "cabin class' and those three had cabin pressurization (well many Aerostars, not all).
Its main competitors were Beech Baron and Piper Apaches/Aztecs.
The Twin Comanche was a bit below the 310, the Aero Commanders, a bit above.

I love the early ones...A-D models (the latter with a swept tail).
The later ones either had a nose too short or too long.

BTW: This years Hallmark Cards Christmas ornament in their annual "Sky's the Limit" aeroplane series is a very nice 310D.

Attachments

Member for

15 years 8 months

There's no beating the DA-42 a dream to fly.

Member for

17 years

The Duke was probably the nicest looking of the American light twins but the Beagle 206 had looks too.

Member for

18 years 7 months

G-APNJ as featured in Cliffair’s picture {post #7} is believed to have been one of the first 310s to join the British Register – circa November 1974.

With c/n 35335 it was originally operated in the USA as N36350 and was briefly on the Irish Register as EI-AJY.

Prior to arriving at Newark in June 2004, G-APNJ had been a ground instructional airframe at Northbrook College, Shoreham. {Source NAM Guide Book}.

Member for

18 years 7 months

G-APNJ as featured in Cliffair’s picture {post #7} is believed to have been one of the first 310s to join the British Register – circa November 1974.

Close.....it joined the UK register 2nd June 1958 according to CAA records! Have been doing a bit of research on G-APNJ as she spent a fair chunk of the 60's based at Speke.

Jon

Member for

16 years 8 months

G-APNJ was indeed the first Cessna 310 on to the British register, first registered 02 June 58........... It has been on the British register ever since.

Planemike

Member for

18 years 7 months

:o Opps - another correction to pass on to the Guide Book editor! Any further details will be forwarded to the appropriate department!! :D

Member for

20 years 5 months

I would plump for the 310 too but British metal twin for me is the Bassett though.
Although I do also like the Islander.

Odd bloke I know

Member for

19 years 5 months

Yes, gotta be the 310. First one I ever saw was G-APTK at Stansted in August 1960. They still look good today.

Member for

17 years

Atcham Tower. I too remember G-APTK at Stansted in the 60's (12 year old spotter) just love that mudguard on the nosewheel ! was that Hughie Greens aircraft ????

Keith.

Member for

15 years 8 months

Then of course there was the Riley 65 Rocket, which was a cleaned up straight-tail C310 with improved performance. There were three UK registered examples, G-ARRR, G-ASNS and G-ASSZ. It's a nice looking plane and a very nice classic twin.

Member for

16 years 9 months

Does the DH-88 Comet count as a light twin?-failing that, the Beech Starship!

Member for

17 years 5 months

Nah, Piper Aztec A (short nose) looks way better than that Cessna job - those silly Cessna tip tanks make it look very chunky.....

That said, I'm biased!