Cessna 310.. The most beautiful light twin?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 10 months

Does the DH-88 Comet count as a light twin?-failing that, the Beech Starship!

Not all GA twins are "light twins".
IIRC, FAA classifies light twin as under 12,000 lbs MTOW.
Starship, no way. The term usually refers to owner flown aircraft.

For marketing purposes, US GA twins were subdivided into "cabin class" those with an airline door or separate crew door, often pressurized and with larger engines than the 240-260 hp 310s.
Examples of those would include: Aero Commanders, Islanders, Piper Navahos, Cessna 340, 401, 411, 414, 421, Beech Dukes, Twin Bonanzas, Queen Airs, etc.

The Beagle 206 was a bit in-between those market segments. It had much more powerful engines than the 310 with 340 hp per side (as opposed to 260) yet its cabin wasn't as large as some of the competing American types.
That could be a reason why it wasn't a huge seller in America.
I like the 206, but comparing cabin size with a Navaho, for the same hp, the Piper wins...but the Beagle is faster.

Member for

19 years 5 months

Atcham Tower. I too remember G-APTK at Stansted in the 60's (12 year old spotter) just love that mudguard on the nosewheel ! was that Hughie Greens aircraft ????

Keith.

No, that was G-AROK.

Member for

19 years 3 months

Once I was given the 'Dinky' Baron in the late 60s, there were no other twins!!:D

Member for

16 years 8 months

I remember seeing G-AROK at Kidlington a couple of days after its return from a brush with couple of Migs on the way back from Berlin.....

Planemike

Member for

17 years

Um, Thanks Newforest ! My memory is older than me :diablo:

Keith.

Member for

24 years 8 months

There's no beating the DA-42 a dream to fly.

Not deserving on a thread talking of beautiful twins though. Which others have you flown to compare it with?

I agree, the swept tail 310s are lovely, but I do have a soft spot for the Piaggio 166.

Moggy

Member for

21 years 1 month

I suppose it must be that old as I remember seeing them around here when I was a teenager. Nearly as pretty as the Twin Commanche and definitely better looking than the later offerings from either manufacturer especially the straight fin versions.

Member for

17 years 6 months

I'd agree with the original proposition.
Other (more recent) light twins might be more economical/easier to fly/more cost efficient but the 310 has real beauty of line.
I fell in love with this one, 310G ZK-CFG, seen here in 1966.
Unfortunately beauty has its price - she flew into the sea in 1971 and was never recovered.

http://i104.photobucket.com/albums/m169/flyernzl/aircraft/ZK-CFGa.jpg

Member for

20 years 5 months

The DA42 maybe nice to fly apparently but it don't half make a racket...

Ooooh the P166 - now there is a nice looking machine.

(Arm-waved a Starship in my time. Not to mention various other twins of course.)

Member for

19 years 6 months

The DA42 maybe nice to fly apparently but it don't half make a racket...

I have to agree, it sounds like a tractor. I agree with the original poster too, the 310 (particularly the earlier models with the straight fin and shorter nose) is a lovely looking machine. I've also always liked the look the Piper Apache mentioned above.

Member for

17 years 6 months

G-APNJ was indeed the first Cessna 310 on to the British register, first registered 02 June 58........... It has been on the British register ever since.

Planemike

I did part of my Engineer Licence on that aircraft - we didn't realise t was significant until an open day when someone pointed it out - hence its now in a museum! Fond memories!

FB

Member for

20 years 5 months

C310B today

Just did a refamil on our C310B [VH-REK] after quite a while in the shed with the Cessna SIDS program.

Not quite sure about the looks, but very unsure about waxing lyrical on the handling/power characteristics!:eek: She's a heavy beast for only 230hp/side, but the augmenters sound superb. However, the work and subsequent re-rigging has added 10kt to her speed.

Her early history puts her as one of the first two metal twins flown down to the Southern Hemisphere on delivery, crewed by a pilot and navigator. In 1955, regarded by Australia's DCA as a "hot ship", she could only be flown by ex-RAAF fighter pilots [true!] Things are a little more eclectic today.

G'day ;)

Member for

17 years 1 month

Hang on hang on, what about the lovely Beagle twins of the 1960s?!
Beautiful looking aircraft, the B.218, B.242X and the Bassett where all lovely, if less practical aircraft!

Member for

20 years 5 months

I guess the DA42 is only beautiful if it keeps on making a racket. Those diesels haven't had the best reliability record have they?

Member for

18 years 2 months

TwinStar

John

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v405/Aeroclub/Photo-0004.jpg

Member for

18 years 9 months

Cheyenne III.

Member for

21 years 1 month

[QUOTE='lectra;1452907]I have to agree, it sounds like a tractor. I agree with the original poster too, the 310 (particularly the earlier models with the straight fin and shorter nose) is a lovely looking machine. I've also always liked the look the Piper Apache mentioned above.[/QUOTE]Of course it sounds like a tractor, what else would you expect from diesel engines?:D

Member for

17 years 1 month

Neither can I see any beauty in the Twinstars' lines, even by Cessna standards.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Just had another really nice light twin come to mind...
the CriCri!