British Commercial aircraft types - postwar

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 5 months

Thought I would start a thread to formulate a list of surviving postwar British commercial types that, hopefully, with input from the experts on the forum could act as a reference source. It would not include nose sections.

Thought would restrict to multi-engined types which excludes such as the EP9 and the Pioneer (which was a military type anyway?)

First though is a list of types (I know some are already extinct) - have I missed any?

Roger Smith.

BRITISH POST WAR COMMERCIAL AIRCRAFT

Armstrong Whitworth Apollo
Armstrong Whitworth Argosy
ATL Accountant
ATL Carvair
Avro York?
Avro Lancastrian?
Avro Tudor
Avro Ashton
Avro 748
BAC 1-11
BAC/Sud Concorde
Beagle 206
Bristol Brabazon
Bristol Freighter
Bristol Britannia
Britten Norman Islander (early only)
DH Comet
DH Dove
DH Heron
DH Trident
DH 125 (early only)
DH/BAe 146 (early only)
HP Halton
HP Hermes
HP Herald
HP/Scottish Aviation Jetstream
Miles Aerovan
Miles/HP Marathon
Miles Merchantman
Miles HDM 105
Percival Merganser
Percival Prince/President
SARO Princess
Scottish Aviation Twin Pioneer
Short Sandringham
Short Solent
Short Sealand
Short Skyvan
Short 330/360
Vickers Viking
Vickers Viscount
Vickers Vanguard
Vickers VC.10

Original post

Member for

16 years 8 months

Beagle 218 - Beagle 242............???
Vickers Varsity..........couple civil registered???
HAC Halcyon.......???

Planemike

Member for

16 years 2 months

I'm a little confused as you want to list surviving aircraft then say that you know some on your list are already extinct......why include them??

Garry

Member for

24 years 8 months

I suppose technically the Optica was a commercial type?

Moggy

Member for

18 years 10 months

With the extinct types, are we loking for major relics, ie cockpit sections etc?

Also are we going to include de-millitarised aircraft, or just those types originaly sold to civillian operators?

Steve

Member for

19 years 5 months

Sorry Garry - thought a starting point would be a complete list of commercial types to show also what is missing. Can't see anyone ever filling the "gaps" though ie building the likes of a replica Halton :)

Moggy the Optica is single-engined - don't know whether including single-engined types will confuse the list with "private" rather than "commercial"

megalith at this stage I thought of excluding cockpit sections - "larger" elements (eg Comet fuselage at London Colney) would be included. De-militarised aircraft I thought could be included if the type was also built for civil opreators (eg Prince). what do others think?

Missed the Airsped Envoy?

Roger Smith.

Member for

16 years 2 months

OK yep complete list

Airspeed Ambassador
Blackburn Universal.....Beverly differed from the prototype which wass offered for civil use.

Garry

Member for

19 years 5 months

How could I have missed the gorgeous Ambassador :o , yep the Universal.

Roger Smith.

Member for

16 years 2 months

Fairey Rotodyne.military serial but civil tested
Bristol Sycamore
Westland Widgeon........their own adaption of the Dragonfly
Short Belfast was offered as civil but no sales but did have a longer civil career than a military one and one still flies.

These are all aircraft but are you thinking more of aeroplanes?

Garry

Member for

16 years 5 months

Is the Trislander missing or does that count as an Islander variant? And I assume that the Jetstream 61 would come under the Avro 748.

Member for

19 years 5 months

My comment about the Envoy should, of course, have read Consul.

Garry, was thinking originally of not including helicopters but the Rotodyne bridges a gap between fixed and rotary wing types. The Sycamore, Widgeon (and I guess the Westminster) also fall out as single engined types.

......And I assume that the Jetstream 61 would come under the Avro 748.
:confused::confused:
Trislander added though.

I guess I should add the BAe ATP??

Roger Smith.

Member for

18 years 7 months

What about the BAe Jetstream 31 (HP.137) and 41?

Jon

Member for

19 years 5 months

There are two or three types that have undergone extensive development (and change) over the years - yes Jon the Jetstream is one but also the DH 125 and DH/HS/BAe/Avro 146.

I thought it would be easier to lump the variants together - although the addition of a third engine, etc to the Islander did, IMHO, make it a different aeroplane??

I'm sure there is a small, twin engine feederliner from the '50s I've missed?? Like the Accountant only one built and ugly.

Roger Smith.

Member for

16 years 2 months

Hi Roger

You didn't comment on my mention of the Belfast??

Garry

Member for

18 years 5 months

Was the Bristol Wayfarer sufficiently different to the Freighter to warrant a mention?

Member for

17 years

Miles HDM 105

If you include the Miles HDM 105, this was only a proof of concept aircraft for the HDM106 light freighter. Beagle had no interest in the 106 and the design rights were sold to Shorts where it became the Skyvan, leading to the Shorts 330 and Shorts 360

The HD Aerovan was a conversion of M57 Aerovan G-AJOF with the wooden wing replaced by an Hurel-Dubois designed high aspect ratio wing. It first flew on 31st March 1957 but was severely damaged following a heavy landing at Shoreham on 28h June 1958 when the tailboom of the aircraft failed at the hinge line and the aircraft taxied in with the empennage dragging along the ground

Member for

16 years 2 months

Over 50 Avro 19s, civil version of the Anson C19 were produced at the end of the war.

Garry

Member for

17 years

Whilst talking Avro .... a quote from Wiki ???

Two Lincoln IIs were operated by D. Napier & Son Ltd. for icing research from 1948 to 1962.

A transport conversion of the Lincoln II, using the streamlined nose and tail cones of the Lancastrian and a ventral cargo pannier, was known as the Avro 695 Lincolnian.

One Lincoln Freighter converted by Airflight Ltd was used on the Berlin Air Lift by Surrey Flying Services Ltd. In addition, one Argentine example was converted to a Lincolnian by Avro at Langar. Four Lincolnian conversions by Field Aircraft Services for use as meat haulers in Paraguay were not delivered and subsequently scrapped.

Member for

16 years 2 months

Yep Keith

I have seen pics of both Lincolnians.

Garry

Member for

18 years 9 months

What about the Cunliffe Owen Concordia? first flown in 1947

Member for

18 years 9 months

twin engine feederliner...ugly. Cunliffe-Owen Concordia.