Sea Fury WG655

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 10 months

I see the price has increased since advertised on Courtesy Aircraft.

http://www.provenancefightersales.com/hawker_N20MD.htm

Original post

Member for

17 years 10 months

What engine is she fitted with corncob or Centaurus ?

Member for

19 years 7 months

What engine is she fitted with corncob or Centaurus ?

Using the above link she is quoted as having a Centaurus (80 hrs from 'new')
and restored by Sanders aircraft,who have quite a bit of experience with Furies.
One question...is the cockpit interior colour scheme original?Doesn't look very 'British Military'

Member for

20 years 7 months

One question...is the cockpit interior colour scheme original?Doesn't look very 'British Military'

Nope - Americanised! Yuk! WHY do they insist on doing that?? That and the F102 brakes/wheels and grey prop blades really spoils this otherwise superb restoration. If only it had been put back 100% original!

Member for

19 years 7 months

Thanks Lee
Although Lt Goaty brought your Fury into our place a few weeks ago I wasn't cheeky enough to actually look inside.Nice to see/hear a big radial in the UK.
Although I have seen quite a few Furies at Reno over the years,one of my great memories is a low pass at Cottesmore in the mid 70's by the Fury whistling past !!not an airshow just an enroute flyby.

Member for

18 years 8 months

Nope - Americanised! Yuk! WHY do they insist on doing that?? That and the F102 brakes/wheels and grey prop blades really spoils this otherwise superb restoration. If only it had been put back 100% original!

Yeah, I hate that too! Looks awful. Cockpits should be black/green, not grey!

Member for

20 years 7 months

Could it be returned to 'original' spec without too much trouble or are we talking a big lorry full of £££££££ here?

Member for

20 years 9 months

I'd still buy it !!

Okay the cockpit looks a bit iffy compared with how it would look if restored authentically ,but I'd still buy it !!
I only wish I could afford it,and I was certain I could maintain serviceability and reliability of the wonderful Centaurus.
If I could manage those, she would be coming home double quick and then I'd get those issues attended too.
I seem to recall reading somewhere that a Sea Fury wouldn't be allowed to fly in the UK with any other powerplant than a Centaurus so I'd need to know I could keep it running.
I don't know how the RNHF are really doing with VR930 ,from what I read on here it seems to be a lot more temperamental than TF.956 and WG.655 used to be, but maybe we all just get more news via these sites than was available when the other RNHF Furie were operational.
Perhaps someone will give an insight into the trials and tribulations of operating the Centaurus.All I know is I get tremendous pleasure from seeing VR.930 in action and hope too for many more years.

Steve

Member for

20 years 9 months

Keeping them flying.

What radial engine do US operators of Sea Furies usually install instead of the Centaurus? Is there one particular one, or can several versions be packaged within the existing cowlings. I see the R3350 engine is used on some. Is this a conversion that has proved successful over the years? Is the power output of the US engines comparable, and would the existing airframe systems support its operation with out too much modification?

Bristol Centaurus spares and operation seem to be getting very difficult these days, and with at least two Centaurus powered aircraft in the UK waiting on their engines, could changing the engine for an American radial be a viable solution, or even possible in Europe?

Aircraft in question are:
- Tempest Two's: Hawker Tempest II, MW763 (G-TEMT).
- TFC's: Hawker Sea Fury FB.11, VX653.

Other aircraft operating (or soon to be) in Europe are:
- RNHF: Sea Fury FB.11, VR930.
- RNHF: Sea Fury T.20, VX281.
- John Bradshaw (former?): Sea Fury FB.10, G-CBEL.

Future projects that could progress with a US radial:
- Tempest Two's: Hawker Tempest II, MW401.
- French owned: Hawker Tempest II, MW376.
- Kermit Weeks': Hawker Tempest II, LA607.
- Nelson Ezell's: Hawker Tempest II, MW810.
- UK stored: Hawker Tempest II, MW758.
- UK stored: Hawker Tempest II, MW404.
- Sweden under re-build: Sea Fury FB.11, WH588.
(This last list, is really a flight of fancy, but there are seven potentially restorable airframes here that could benefit from an engine with readily available spares, to turn them into viable restorations).

It would be interesting to hear peoples views.

Member for

20 years 7 months

I don't know how the RNHF are really doing with VR930 ,from what I read on here it seems to be a lot more temperamental than TF.956 and WG.655 used to be,

Not sure where you're getting this impression from? Since the engine was rebuilt in 2004 and the fuel issue sorted the engine has (touch wood) performed almost faultlessly. Indeed so far this season there has only been one engine-related unserviceability which occurred in Northern Ireland last month and was traced to water ingress into the ignition system during what was an exceptionally wet weekend. IIRC this is the first missed display through any unserviceability remotely connected to an engine problem since the Centaurus was rebuilt - quite some achievement when you consider that these are incredibly complex pieces of machinery at the zenith of piston engine technology and are also old with spares at a premium.

...but maybe we all just get more news via these sites than was available when the other RNHF Furie were operational.

Which is why you shouldn't always believe what you read - especially if it's not from the horses' mouth! :cool:

Member for

20 years 1 month

David--

With two exceptions ("corncob" engined racers "Dreadnought" and "Furias"), the American-reengined Furies have employed the Wright R3350. The Sanders version of the R3350 installation has everything mounted in the same location as for the Centaurus fit, so (excepting the prop spinning merrily backward!), the resulting appearance is very stock. Not so the sound, of course...but you can't have everything...

It is a continuing mystery to me that none of the all-too-few surviving ex-Indian AF Tempest IIs has been brought back to life with R3350 power. The engine installation must surely be similar enough that the Fury conversion could more or less be copied; and on a Tempest, the four-bladed American prop would look "right" even when not turning. Glad to see someone suggest the idea again!

Cheers

Steve T

Member for

24 years 8 months

To convert a Tempest II to R-3350 power in the U.K would require a major mod which would need a lot of design work . The Tempest II is an unknown quantity in terms of value - I would hasten a fraction of the worth of a Spitfire. Therefore owners have usually been keen to keep them stock.

Member for

20 years 9 months

Tempest projects

Hi David Burke

Just theorising here.... The value of a Tempest II would be somewhere between that of a Yak trainer/Harvard, and a Spitfire. It would probably have a 'warbird' desirability value of somewhere between the two as well.

It still amazes me however, that there are at least 8 substantially complete Tempest II projects worldwide that have so far, failed to make there way into a static restored condition in museums, let alone have one or two flying by now. Only Hendon has had one restored by TFC, and the Tempest Two restored example, is still awaiting an engine. Give me one of these anyday over a myriad of American types (no offence meant, It's just sad to see so many unrestored examples of a rare type).

Compare it with the Mk.24 Spitfire for example that never saw action in WW2, and was a post war type, but because an earlier version was operational from 1939-45, the overall type falls under the same desirability. Why is it not so for the Tempest II as well, whose earlier mk.v version was a famed doodlebug chaser, for example?

Member for

20 years 9 months

My Apologies

Not sure where you're getting this impression from? Since the engine was rebuilt in 2004 and the fuel issue sorted the engine has (touch wood) performed almost faultlessly. Indeed so far this season there has only been one engine-related unserviceability which occurred in Northern Ireland last month and was traced to water ingress into the ignition system during what was an exceptionally wet weekend. IIRC this is the first missed display through any unserviceability remotely connected to an engine problem since the Centaurus was rebuilt - quite some achievement when you consider that these are incredibly complex pieces of machinery at the zenith of piston engine technology and are also old with spares at a premium.

Which is why you shouldn't always believe what you read - especially if it's
not from the horses' mouth! :cool:

My apologies Lee,

I stand corrected and certainly bow to your first hand knowledge of the operational reliability of VR.930.
In no way was I intentionally doubting the reliability of the aircraft or indeed the magnificent Centaurus,but I was under the impression that it was providing the guys at yeovilton with more headaches than perhaps it should.

As a fan of the Sea Fury since I first saw TF.956 flown by Lt Cdr Pete Sheppard in the mid 70's I've become very aware of the problems faced with Fuel,oil and seviceable spare parts.

It is always a priviledge for me to see VR.930 in action, I thought she looked and sounded magnificent at this years Flying Legends.
I'm sure I won't be alone in wishing the Flight well,and hoping that she and the T.20 may be successfully operated by the flight for many years to come,together with the other aircraft of course.

Steve

Member for

24 years 8 months

It's hard to believe that it's now just over 17 years since WG655 had her unfortunate accident.
I can still picture her flying overhead Yeovilton even now :( (and no I am not watching the DVD ;))

Member for

17 years 3 months

- John Bradshaw (former?): Sea Fury FB.10, G-CBEL.

surely she's a fury rather than sea fury as she has no wing fold

Member for

24 years 8 months

surely she's a fury rather than sea fury as she has no wing fold

I think she does have folding wings, though she's always hangared at Hurn with wings spread.
I'm sure whilst she was in store undercover at Kemble she was parked with her wings folded.

Member for

20 years 9 months

talking of DVD's

It's hard to believe that it's now just over 17 years since WG655 had her unfortunate accident.
I can still picture her flying overhead Yeovilton even now :( (and no I am not watching the DVD ;))

Just been watching home video recording of WG.655 AND TF.956 performing together at a North Weald Fighter Meet possibly 1988 was a Vulcan on the video and also a TFC Kingcobra

Steve

Member for

20 years 6 months

Just a few questions about the Tempest Two's Hawker Tempest II G-TEMT. After reading this tread, I conclude that this project is mostely completed and just waiting for its engine. Is this correct or is there still some other major work (except for the engine). Where is it's Centaurus engine being overhauled?

Does Tepest Two have a website?

Greets,

Stiggy

Member for

24 years 8 months

I believe that it's being rebuilt somewhere in California.