Sea Fury WG655

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 9 months

WG 655

A bargain at that price still only about £7-800,000 at current exchange rates !! lol just long term operation of the Centaurus to worry about really.

Any one seen the new Witty Wings model T20 Dragon of Cymru ? wondered if that colour scheme /markings are what it will be wearing when it flies again ??

Steve

Member for

20 years 7 months

.....wondered if that colour scheme /markings are what it will be wearing when it flies again ??

Nope. :cool:

Member for

20 years 9 months

T20 markings/colour scheme

Can you tell us what markings/colour scheme the T20 will wear yet then Lee ?

Steve

Member for

20 years 7 months

Not the ones I personally would like to see it in, but all will be revealed in due course - you'll have to be patient!!;)

Member for

17 years 2 months

Here are a few pictures of N20MD taken mid September at Reno.

Attachments

Member for

17 years 2 months

Speaking of the Centaurus, I got to check out Sanders Aeronautics after the races this past September and in the back room was this……. First row are Bristol’s, second are 3350’s, and the third are 4360’s. They have some awesome stuff in their hangers.

Attachments

Member for

20 years 7 months

Here are a few pictures of N20MD taken mid September at Reno.

Sigh :(

Member for

24 years 8 months

Interesting to see WG655 still sporting drop tanks, I don't think I've seen any other Furies wearing them. Has RNHF got any in its spare holding Lee, not necessarily serviceable?

Member for

17 years

A bargain at that price still only about £7-800,000 at current exchange rates !! lol just long term operation of the Centaurus to worry about really.

Any one seen the new Witty Wings model T20 Dragon of Cymru ? wondered if that colour scheme /markings are what it will be wearing when it flies again ??

Steve

I believe the scheme on the Witty Wings model to which to you refer is taken from it's time on the British register (circa 1975-1980) as G-BCOW /Coded '253' with Spencer Flack at Elstree. This is well before it was re-christened 'The Dragon of Cymru' by a later owner in the US.

In fact, I don't think that any Sea Fury T.20's actually wore the korean war striped scheme in service.

Incidentally, it has been suggested in some quarters that the 4 bladed/Wright engined conversions of the Sea Fury are so popular in the US because they can niether count up to 5 nor spell Centaurus!

Out... Roxeth.

Member for

20 years 7 months

There are tanks here, yes. However VR930 can't use them due to the fuel lines being deleted during rebuild. As with the tanks for the Sea Hawk they would also impose serious wing fatigue penalties and preclude aerobatics with them fitted.

No T.20 flew in Royal Navy service in anything other than silver/yellow. The only exception to this, arguably, was VX301 on loan to Ferranti which sported a red nose and dark blue fuselage scheme.

Member for

24 years 8 months

The only exception to this, arguably, was VX301 on loan to Ferranti which sported a red nose and dark blue fuselage scheme.

Sounds lovely ;)

Silver/yellow will look fantastic though if that's what's been chosen, although to be honest RNHF could paint it bright pink and I'd still look forward to seeing it.

Member for

20 years 7 months

....to be honest RNHF could paint it bright pink and I'd still look forward to seeing it.

Drooling yet? :rolleyes:

http://www.leehowardphotography.co.uk/forums/PinkVX281.jpg

Member for

24 years 8 months

Drooling yet? :rolleyes:

http://www.leehowardphotography.co.uk/forums/PinkVX281.jpg

Oh yeah. She's a real sweetie!
The light undersides complement the pink superbly - I demand that it be considered for the next re-finish!

Member for

14 years 6 months

Bristol Centaurus

Around 1992 I discovered a complete Centaurus in Williamsons scrapyard at Brumley Brae near Elgin. It was in poor condition, broken magnetos and bent fins on the barrels. The plugs were out of some of the cylinders too. I bought it for £400 but had no way of shifting it at the time (it weighs around 3500lbs I believe!), and shortly afterwards I lost the workshop space I'd planned to store it in. When I went to check a few years later, it was gone.

All I have left now is a note of the engine No, from the crankcase - 1012, and FB11 0397 was on a plate fixed to the crankcase. FB11 presumably referring to the mark of Sea Fury. I don't even have the receipt!

I often wonder if it was ever put to a useful purpose...

Member for

20 years 2 months

the wings won't fall off a Sea Fury because it has drop tanks. They are designed for them. As for reducing the fatigue life, please refer to the AFM for operating limitations in different configurations..

Member for

14 years 6 months

There are tanks here, yes. However VR930 can't use them due to the fuel lines being deleted during rebuild. As with the tanks for the Sea Hawk they would also impose serious wing fatigue penalties and preclude aerobatics with them fitted.

Sea Fury 10 & 11 Pilots Notes:

71 (i) when external stores or wing drop tanks are carried aerobatics are prohibited and violent manoeuvres are to be avoided.

Member for

14 years 7 months

Around 1992 I discovered a complete Centaurus in Williamsons scrapyard at Brumley Brae near Elgin.
I often wonder if it was ever put to a useful purpose...

It's a wonder I didn't have my camera with me when I viewed it with you Stuart - I seem to remember it looked like a high-tech meteorite.
The only item I ever bought from that yard was the complete engine and frame of a 1930 500cc BSA Sloper (for £5!), which I gave to a guy in Hopeman for spares!

Member for

14 years 6 months

Yes, it was in poor nick. I'd hoped some of the internals were worth rescuing but I expect it got smelted. High tech meteorite sounds about right. I did take some video at the time but I'm hopeless at hanging on to things.

Last time I was there was with Elliott Smock, last year. the Balliol centre section was still there, in the big hole - we recognised it from a Boulton Paul data plate, and various other smallish aircraft parts were scattered around - including a rather nifty skin panel with a pair of cannon ports in it. Sea Hawk or Hunter maybe. I'm having that away if I get round to it.