Stunning Aerial Combat Photos

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

In the same folder of photos that my 'What The Heck' photos have come from, here are some stunning, some sad and some amazing shots of aerial combat, and one or two other bits and pieces.

Attachments
Original post

Member for

20 years 5 months

Very sad. And another...

Attachments

Member for

20 years 5 months

Yikes

Attachments

Member for

20 years 5 months

Liberator

Attachments

Member for

20 years 5 months

Whoa! This is awful

Attachments

Member for

20 years 5 months

Very moving...
Makes you realise just how great the sacrifices really were.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Avengers!

Member for

20 years 5 months

Wings Over The Navy...

Member for

20 years 5 months

Lest We Forget

Attachments

Member for

21 years

Fascinating yet poignant :(

Member for

24 years 7 months

These have a very macabre air about them, I'm not sure that I like them. As Robbo says they do represent someones last moments on this earth and the terror that they are experiencing is beyond comprehension.
So whilst they are historically a very accurate and graphic record of what really happened they should not be viewed lightly and without real respect.
I depends how adult and respectful we can all be I suppose.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I quite agree they do represent someone's last few moments but they are here and I think they have been posted with respect and not gratuity.

They are a mere snapshot in time and what's to say that some of the photos of the soldiers fighting on the ground or sailors on deck aren't their last moment before they were killed. Its just we can see these moments and as we know that they were in the aircraft with very little or no chance of surviving?

We will remember them.

OAW

Member for

24 years 7 months

Originally posted by Robbo
These would be fascinating, but for the fact that they represent someone's last, terrified moments.

I do agree, but at the same time these shots are part of the historical record. I think we cannot ignore them, or try to airbrush them out but one has to be very careful how they are used - it's all too easy to get into the sleazy, voyeuristic, "World's Worst.." cast of mind that seems to permate our TV channels constantly these days.

If anything good can come from them, then at least they remind us of the futility that is war and the respect that is due to those that served.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I totally agree with you guys, most of these photos are macabre, poignant, fascinating, devastating and frightening.

I hope that none of you come away from this forum thinking I posted these as a joke or a bit of a laugh. Not at all. I did not mean any disrespect to the brave airman who were involved, and I hoped that these photos might make us all stop and think about the sacrifices made by the many thousands who died, whatever nation they were from.

I could have posted more, but honestly when I began to look at them all together and quite large on this thread, I began to feel a bit ill. Hence my last post, which says Lest We Forget.

I will be thinking about these photos and many other sacrifices made by our veterans in both wars on Friday when I'm selling red poppies for the Returned Services Association, which is an annual fundraiser for veterans done on the Friday before ANZAC Day - NZ's day of remembrance.

Member for

24 years 7 months

Well said, Dave.

Member for

20 years 4 months

Its certainly worth reflecting on the loss of young lives - many of the planes here were designed to kill or destroy. Inspite of that...

Are they all authentic? The Havoc and the Marauder both seem 'wrong'. What's burning in the Havoc fuselage for example?

I recall reading that some of the crew of nose-less B17 survived.

Member for

20 years 5 months

Are they all authentic? The Havoc and the Marauder both seem 'wrong'. What's burning in the Havoc fuselage for example?

As far as I'm aware they are genuine. I cannot say for sure but I would think they are all untampered with.

Member for

20 years 5 months

I've seen the Havoc one before... Could be fuel burning from a split tank...?

Member for

20 years 6 months

Very moving photos

the Havoc photo:- A-20J 43-10129, 416th bomb group based at weathersfield, Essex. Hit by flack in the fuel tanks over France 12th May 1944.

The B-24 i belive was hit by bombs from the aircraft that took the photo although i hope im wrong on that one.

Member for

24 years 7 months

I feel that photos such as those shown earlier in this thread are important - Too often photos such as these are not shown as people feel that they are too terrible to be shown. I feel the opposite, it is important to show them to demonstrate just how awful war can be.

Yes, they do typically show the last few terrified moments of life of those in the aircraft in question, but to ignore them, or to pretend that they don't exist would be wrong in my opinion.

I agree also that we must be careful where images such as these are used.

Trying to imagine what must have been going through the minds of those aboard the aircraft in the photos has brought a lump to my throat and has made me feel ill. I'm happier feeling that though than feeling nothing.

Andy

Member for

21 years 3 months

It seems that there are more USAAF aerial pictures than RAF out there. What was the reason for that? Did the RAF crews not take cameras? Part of it has to be that they did a lot of night bombing but is that the only reason? Just curious.