Stunning Aerial Combat Photos

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 6 months

Thanks Dave.

The photos are moving. But as they are part of history, it is sometimes necessary to be reminded to those few. We should learn from the history.

To those who made the ultimate sacrifice.

Member for

21 years 4 months

Also give a thought to the many, many aircrew lost in the darkness - hardly ever photographed.

Best regards

Member for

24 years 8 months

Very confronting and humbling photos, Dave. They definately made me think for a moment or two.

Thanks for posting them.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Ditto.
The photographs say it all.
Der

Member for

20 years 6 months

Originally posted by atc pal
Also give a thought to the many, many aircrew lost in the darkness - hardly ever photographed.

Best regards

Yes, many became lost in the darkness, but the RAF had a brilliant scheme for when this happened. I interviewed Ron Watts, former Commander of the secretive 488 (NZ) Sqn who flew Mossie night fighters. If a plane became lost,the standard thing to do was fly one mile north, one mile east, one mile south, one mile west, and continue this box. The RAF radar operators would pick it up, and they'd vector in a Mossie from 488 or another nf unit. They would then guide them back. Apparently the bomber crews were always jubilant to see the Mossie arrive on their wing. You can imagine it.

As for the other comments here, I agree with you all. I'm glad that everyone has seen these awful images as i see them. Very moving.

As for few combat photos of RAF bombers, I don't think flashlights were that good in those days. They were usually in pitch black, not even a moon if they could help it.

Member for

20 years 7 months

Wow, Dave...after seeing these pictures...it left me speechless.

The thought that there were real people about to die makes me respect the people that gave their lives to ensure our ongoing freedom just all that much more.

As said before,we see a lot of the "glamorous" side of warbirds and too often this side is overlooked and ignored but a very real part of the whole equation that was day to day for these brave souls.

As Dave said, I also will be going to the dawn ANZAC parade to remember those gallant soldiers who allowed to live our comfortable lives that we often take for granted.

We will not forget.

Chris

Member for

21 years 4 months

Dave. I didn't realise I had used the euphemism "lost". I mean't "killed or missing in action". Missing being especially hard on the relatives. Where do you go to mourn? As I can see from the thread, this is a mature forum, that clearly has devoted much of their historical research to honour the brave (and very young!)aircrews of the second World War. Many of whome paid the highest price.

In fact there was a huge problem with "lost" (navigation-wise) aircraft. Twenty years ago I found a small book in the Danish Air Force library written by a Canadian? controller that helped set up a Rescue and Recovery Organisation in the UK in WWII: They could see wandering bombers returning - but lost. A system with searchlights through the fog/low clouds pointing to airfields were set up. (And Master diversion airfields?) Later Mosquitos as you mentioned? The FIDO system must also be mentioned. I wonder if I could find that book again?

Best regards

Member for

20 years 5 months

Hi Dave,

The B-17 photo the plane took a direct hit from an 88 crash landed at a RAF base.

The B-24 with the Waist Position a flame. Their is a seroius of this plane taken by the plane next to it. You will be happy to know all the crew manage to get out of her before she blew up.

The over flight shot is in Japan, I've seen another version of this photo else were.