WW2 era aircraft still working

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 5 months

With the end of the war now 70 years in the past, how many 'wartime' era aircraft are still working ?

Dakotas of course, especially in South America, C-46's in Canada, some Beech 18's, Grumman Geese, but what else I wonder.

If you (loosely ) call Meteors a WW2 type, there are 2 of them still used for trials, and B25's have recently been employed as camera ships.

I think the last spraying Avengers are retired now, as well as the Privateer water bombers.

Original post

Member for

24 years 8 months

A couple of years ago, the last Catalina fire Bomber was still working in the Pacific North West, I'm not sure whether it is still operational or not. The Mars are, for all intents and purposes, retired now I believe.

Several Tiger Moths still earning their living training new taildragger pilots. Many others hauling rides.

Member for

20 years 5 months

One Harvard still used for trials at Boscombe, I think.

Member for

17 years 8 months

A couple of years ago, the last Catalina fire Bomber was still working in the Pacific North West, I'm not sure whether it is still operational or not.

Mike - this was PBY-6A N85U of Flying Fireman Inc. It is not currently operational and is undergoing an overhaul. Latest pictures I have seen show one engine off. It is probably a couple of seasons at least since it was actively 'bombing'.

Profile picture for user Peter

Member for

24 years 8 months

Buffalo Airways have a DC3 that served in D-day

Member for

19 years 10 months

Another D-Day C-47, converted to a DC-3 was giving sightseeing rides. I flew on it 20 years ago, but I believe its still current.

Plenty of Stearmans out there, though most are toys, but as has been mentioned, they still do their share of pilot and tailwheel conversion training.

The Martin Mars firebomber in Canada was not used this year, but the decision was one of politics rather than a lack of capability or maintenance.

And although certified post-war (and many of them still being used were made later in its long production life) the Bell 47 helicopter was developed during the war and many are still used for agricultural work.
Regarding the Beech 18, many (or even most) of the working survivors are probably post war build or the factory rebuilds of WWII units done in the early 50s.

Member for

11 years 11 months

With apologies for a degree of drift but the B52, first flown only 8 years after the end of the war, in service 2 years later, 10 % of the total built still in service and scheduled to remain in service until 2045, 90 years all told, remains the most outstanding of service longevity.

Member for

16 years

C-47s of the South African Air Force are still in service with 35 sqn and a replacement has yet to be ordered. Although to be fair the SAAF Dakota's are the turbo prop remanufactured versions.

Do C-46's still fly in Alaska ? Any DC-4 still used as firebombers ?

Member for

24 years 8 months

With apologies for a degree of drift but the B52, first flown only 8 years after the end of the war, in service 2 years later, 10 % of the total built still in service and scheduled to remain in service until 2045, 90 years all told, remains the most outstanding of service longevity.

I take your B-52 and raise you the Antonov An-2 - first flight 1947 - and STILL in service in Russia - and probably still in production in China!!

18,000+ built.

Ken

Member for

19 years 10 months

I take your B-52 and raise you the Antonov An-2 - first flight 1947 - and STILL in service in Russia - and probably still in production in China!!
Ken

In that case...how about the DHC Beaver?
...or to stretch the point a bit further....the Cessna 172 which is still in production. It's basically a stretched nosegear version of the Cessna 140...ff.28 June 1945....before Japan surrendered.
If that's too big a stretch, the prototype 170 (the tail dragging father of the 172) ff. in late 1947.

Member for

19 years 10 months

Don't forget the Lockheed Neptune, it's a WWII type though we don't think of it as such. Design authorized on 6 Dec 1941 as a replacement for the Hudson/Ventura/Harpoon...ff 17 May 1945.
Some are still used as firebombers.

And although they're no longer working for a living...there are some Lockheed Constellations still flying.

Member for

11 years 11 months

To extend the comparisons I wonder if any of those you have both mentioned will still be operational in 2045.........

Member for

13 years 4 months

The list can go on and on and on. We have Tiger, Fox, Dragon, L4 Cub, Auster and Proctor operating, with Moth Major, Messenger and Gemini on the way

Member for

19 years 10 months

To extend the comparisons I wonder if any of those you have both mentioned will still be operational in 2045.........

The B-52 will be gone by then...after all it's latest versions will be 83 in 2045.

This is where time favors the small, inexpensive easy to maintain "light" civil types. I'm sure there will still be Cubs, Stearmans, Tiger Moths flying then.
Governments can't afford to keep ancients around for nostalgia (except for the BBMF) but private owners can.

Member for

11 years 11 months

The USAF announced its intention to maintain it in service until 2045 and the upgrade programmes were announced in 2013. Or have they been rescinded?

Member for

19 years 10 months

The USAF announced its intention to maintain it in service until 2045 and the upgrade programmes were announced in 2013. Or have they been rescinded?

I'm no longer on their mailing list. :)
I thought it was 2030....but could be wrong.

But with budgets being what they are, I wouldn't etch anything is stone.

Member for

19 years 3 months

New computer & communication systems, including full data-links between B-52s and between B-52s and ground controllers, increase in JDAM capacity from 12 to 20, etc.
http://www.dodbuzz.com/2013/07/12/air-force-begins-massive-b-52-overhaul/

Possible re-engining as well as other upgrades:
http://www.shreveporttimes.com/story/news/local/2014/12/02/upgrades-eyed-fleet/19806993/

Upgrades eyed for B-52 fleet
John Andrew Prime, [email]jprime@gannett.com[/email] 7:43 p.m. CST December 2, 2014

Air Force Global Strike Command head Lt. Gen. Stephen Wilson recently shared strategic bombing thoughts with other military and industry professionals at the Billy Mitchell Institute in Washington and noted that while the plan now remains to keep the B-52 in service "through 2040, I think that (we) will go beyond that. We've got another 25 years of the B-52. Plus."

Possible AESA radar for BUFF:
http://www.militaryaerospace.com/articles/2014/03/aesa-bomber-upgrades.html

Member for

11 years 11 months

Sounds positive for life extension!!;)

Member for

20 years 4 months

Not planes I know, but the Royal Marines are still using 4 DUKWs ("Ducks") at Instow in Devon as part of the trials unit there.

Member for

17 years 11 months

Probably the most numerous must be the Piper J3 / L-4 Cub. Certainly several hundred, if not thousands still airworthy.

....including Propstrike's!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]234263[/ATTACH]

Attachments