WW2 era aircraft still working

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

11 years 11 months

That's for sure and there are probably a few Austers still flying - especially in Australia and NZ, I would guess.

Member for

13 years 5 months

The Canberra :) still in service, albeit in highly modified form, with NASA.

Member for

18 years 8 months

With apologies for a degree of drift but the B52, first flown only 8 years after the end of the war, in service 2 years later, 10 % of the total built still in service and scheduled to remain in service until 2045, 90 years all told, remains the most outstanding of service longevity.

You could also add the C-130 into the mix if you are stretching the rules....

Member for

24 years 8 months

No you can't. However much you 'stretch the rules', B-52s, Canberras and C-130s are not 'WW2 era aircraft' in any way, shape or form.

Member for

14 years 6 months

Well this thread well and truly drifted. I was interested when the discussion was running to PBY's etc still earning their keep, but since the topic was (supposedly) WW2-era, I can't see any point discussing anything post-1945.

So can we have a go again?

As a kick-starter, does anyone know if P-51s are still being subcontracted for US (Navy?) test pilot training?

Member for

11 years 11 months

You must have missed the Piper Cub and Auster posts as well as a stack of others - the post '45 contributions have not taken up much of your valuable space!:)

Member for

13 years 5 months

No you can't. However much you 'stretch the rules', B-52s, Canberras and C-130s are not 'WW2 era aircraft' in any way, shape or form.

The Canberra was on the drawing board at the end of ww2...:D

Member for

24 years 8 months

Not in anything like the form we know today. It is a postwar aircraft, however far you try (and fail) to stretch the point.

Member for

11 years 11 months

After the last couple of posts it looks as though the OP's question has been answered and the thread has run its course.

Member for

15 years 4 months

Grumman Goose (although I seem to recall the last operational comemrcial example was retired last year?).

Member for

11 years 11 months

The OP erroneously listed "Geese" - Gooses of course!! I read somewhere that about 30 are still airworthy but someone might have more accurate information.