BBMF ..... Dak Door Dilemma ?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 1 month

Right on que - thanks Galdri & RMR!:)

I was thinking of the Spookys' when I mentioned fwd door removed.

The Hastings had a very similar setup, but each of the two cargo doors had a removeable para door within it, aswel as the Valetta, I wonder if the C-47 wrote the specifications?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Talking of BBMF doors, I do wish they'd leave the two top escape hatches shut on the Lanc- flying around with them open might make a nice cool draft through the stuffy fuselage, but it spoils the look of the thing for me!

Member for

16 years 8 months

Hardly just a stuffy fuselage, more akin to flying in an oven so I'm led to believe especially in black flying suits.

Member for

21 years 2 months

Talking of BBMF doors, I do wish they'd leave the two top escape hatches shut on the Lanc- flying around with them open might make a nice cool draft through the stuffy fuselage, but it spoils the look of the thing for me!

Sorry but I take breathing over looking nice!!!:)

Member for

24 years 8 months

Sorry but I take breathing over looking nice!!!:)

:D;)

Member for

19 years 8 months

At least some of the BEA DC-3 "Pionair" Class aircraft that I flew in the early 60's had an oval topped main door that folded down with steps built in. Behind that door was a cargo door. I presume this was part of the conversion and followed the outline of the original military door. My memory may fail me but I think the BEA Freighter version was the "Leopard" class.
Alas I have no photographs and any I have come across only show the Stbd side.

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hardly just a stuffy fuselage, more akin to flying in an oven so I'm led to believe especially in black flying suits.

More to do with letting the air circulate and preventing carbon monoxide build up than keeping the thing cool.

Member for

17 years

Well I am so surprised how much good natured, and interesting, discussion can follow my initial posting ! Thank you all so much, so nice to be involved with something so enjoyable ...... I have answered my initial question by locating the photo with a crew member waving with hand outside the door !
The same aircraft in its earlier paint scheme .... incidently I will try to be in position when it emerges from spray 1 to record any changes evident ..... ????

Keith :)

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/DSC_0046-8.jpg

Member for

17 years 1 month

Nice shots Keith, do you know what scheme it will emerge with?
I'm still hoping, against some really quite huge odds, that it gets returned to its RAE Farnborough Raspberry Ripple scheme!

Member for

17 years

Hi pagen01, My friend, I have heard all sorts of rumours localy ..... "Its only here prior to its next appearance at the Lowestoft Airshow" ???? ...... "the green paint is flaking and here for a touch up" ????? ...... "The green paint is the wrong shade and its going to be resprayed completely" ..... " its only here so the 10 local aviation photographers can post 3000 photos of it everywhere :diablo:"

James, I have no idea why what or how ?? one of the nicest thing about living so near a busy aircraft refinishing company is the variety of projects attracted to this corner of east anglia, and the fact .... they arrive in one colour scheme and depart in another, sometimes very exciting, sometimes a little boring ..... but the biggest local game is the "guess what it will come out as " ...... ???? thats where a lot of 'wait and see' comes in handy ????

Keith :rolleyes:

Profile picture for user Bob

Member for

24 years 8 months

Interesting, I'd never twigged that the inner door opened inwards and the half-cargo door opened outward. We live and learn.

One way to (roughly) tell a civil DC-3 from a military C-47 family member is if it has the cargo door it's military (ex-military) and if it had a round topped single doorway it's an ex-civilian machine. There were some with the passenger door on the starboard, and some converted for a cargo door, so it's not 100% accurate.

Dakota Door Adorers...
G-AMPY/KK116 back in Dec 2006...
Attachments

Member for

13 years 5 months

Hi pagen01, My friend, I have heard all sorts of rumours localy ..... "Its only here prior to its next appearance at the Lowestoft Airshow" ???? ...... "the green paint is flaking and here for a touch up" ????? ...... "The green paint is the wrong shade and its going to be resprayed completely" ..... " its only here so the 10 local aviation photographers can post 3000 photos of it everywhere :diablo:"

At least one of those rumours is at least partially correct... ;)

Member for

17 years 1 month

Thanks Keith, at least you have something to regularly look forward to there!:D

Member for

21 years 6 months

The colour scheme is staying the same but this time, hopefully, it will stay on the aircraft. Should return to us at BBMF about the 1st Aug.

Plus P7350 is changing its sqn and codes this week :)

Member for

17 years

englishbeefcake. Would we be correct in assuming that you are on the 'inside' and know more than we on the 'outside' know ???? ;)

pagen01. Yes that is very true ! as I continue to grow older .... I sort of look forward to tomorrow ! by which time I have forgotten yesterday !! :cool:

Whilst typing this I have recieved, by text, from a reliable source, a message telling me the Dakota is here for a touch up ! and will stay for one week !

Member for

17 years

Ah Fluffy. The man in the know ! thanks for that ! confirmation from the very top ! ;)
our posts collided in hyperspace !!

Keith.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Well I am so surprised how much good natured, and interesting, discussion can follow my initial posting ! Thank you all so much, so nice to be involved with something so enjoyable ...... I have answered my initial question by locating the photo with a crew member waving with hand outside the door !
The same aircraft in its earlier paint scheme .... incidently I will try to be in position when it emerges from spray 1 to record any changes evident ..... ????

http://i261.photobucket.com/albums/ii58/keithnewsome/DSC_0046-8.jpg

Keith,
Any idea of the where and when of that pic please? I spent many an hour in that doorway, waving and in bloody hysterics at the dramas inside the aircraft!

Member for

21 years 6 months

Thats not you the hands are too small :D

Member for

17 years

CIRCUS 6. Yes that is my photo from here at "Norwich International Airport" on 15 August 2010 at 13:30Z the Dak was here for a reason I forget, maybe an overnight stay ?? this photo was from a flyby the crew decided to do after their initial take off and before departing to pastures new !!!!

Member for

18 years 4 months

C47's have been used in skydiving operations with both doors removed.

Below is a picture of a DC3 used as a jump platform.

http://i135.photobucket.com/albums/q137/DavidLayne/Skydiving/dc3.jpg