Vulcan photos

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years 6 months

Okay, we know that our beloved XH558 is photographed to the point of exhaustion, but I wonder if anyone has spotted any pictures of other Vulcans from the dim and distant past? I'm trying to find pictures that haven't been seen all that much and obviously it's hard work! In particular, I've been looking for the old RAF and manufacturer images that used to be floating around decades ago. They were once quite common but these days they are rarely seen which is a great shame. The only surviving pictures seem to be on the internet and they're inevitably small copies of copies. Wonder where all the magnificent old pictures have gone...

Any thoughts?

Original post

Member for

17 years 6 months

Yes, but thanks for the pointer!:)

Member for

24 years 8 months

re;

my humble offering;

Attachments

Member for

24 years 8 months

re;

another;

Attachments

Member for

17 years 6 months

Lovely stuff, both shots! Is the first one at North Weald?

Member for

14 years 7 months

Probably not seen too often - XM573 at Luqa with HMS Hermes aircraft ashore. Fortunately XM573 is still around at the SAC museum...
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm14/handshifterAl/Vulcan-XM573-Luqa.jpg
and official RAF Kinloss photos of XH558 being resprayed...
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm14/handshifterAl/VulcanXH558.jpg?t=1269611691
http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm14/handshifterAl/XH558Vulcan.jpg?t=1269612848

Member for

18 years 7 months

I have some scans of XA891 and the Avro team up in Manchester that came via people connected to ‘Jimmy’ Harrison OBE AFC – it’s shame that they were provided on the understanding that they were never passed on to third parties and only published in the Newark Air Museum newsletter.

Perhaps you might be able to access something similar through the Woodford heritage team!

Member for

14 years 11 months

Al - great picture at Luqa - can you date it? I was on the island quite a lot in the late 60s/early 70s and recall Luqa as a busy airfield but never saw the tin triangle there.

Member for

14 years 2 months

Lovely photos on here, a grand old lady which should never be forgotten, but there are those who look after the odd one or two left, so all is not lost.
Jim.
Lincoln .7

Member for

24 years 8 months

Coming up 50 years ago this September.

Biggin BoB.

Mark

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v634/Mark12/VulcanBigginHillBoB1961PeterArnold.jpg

Member for

17 years 6 months

Some magnificent photos there - just when I was starting to think that we'd seen every Vulcan photo! Brilliant stuff!

The Luqa photo is sheer nostalgia, not only for the Vulcan but everything else in the foreground and background - don't you just wish we had a time machine?!

Member for

17 years

Al - great picture at Luqa - can you date it?

Very good chance that Al is correct with Feb - April 1970 as the 893 sqn Vixens were regularly detatched to Luqa off the Victorious then. The Sqn disbanded in July.
Excellent photo!

Member for

14 years 11 months

Well, well....I arrived back there after a few months elsewhere in June, so just missed her!!

As Chox says - sheer nostalgia - and truly so, because I would love to be back there during those years.:)

Member for

17 years 6 months

I'm just looking at the shot of XH558 being resprayed at Kinloss. Is that guy on the wing the person I want to shoot for applying that bizarre paint scheme?! I guess the poor guy was just doing his job...:p

Member for

24 years 8 months

re;

Lovely stuff, both shots! Is the first one at North Weald?

No, Waddington. Dont you just love the stalls at airshows pull of old pictures that cost next to nothing? That's where I get a lot from.

Member for

17 years 6 months

You sure? I mean the colour shot of XM607? Doesn't look like a Waddington hangar - looks more like North Weald, but then I don't recall 607 ever visiting a show there... maybe it did?

Hmm, yes it is a rare treat to find old photographs but it seems to be a thing of the past these days - apart from lucky exceptions. You get the feeling that an awful lot of brilliant photographs have simply been dumped over the years. The rest are hiding away in museum collections never to be seen again - except for a ludicrously high fee!:p

Member for

17 years

Not Waddington, the hangars are the wrong type, N.Weald or maybe Abingdon is a good candidate.

Edit, '607 was at the '81 BoB Abingdon show.

Member for

16 years 5 months

Here one of XA892 that my father took at Farnborough in 1956.

http://i710.photobucket.com/albums/ww110/Jetflap/John%20Read%20aviation%20photos%20-%201950s/0031VulcanB1.jpg

Member for

17 years 6 months

Hmm, Abingdon sounds like a good candidate. I think XM607 must have been a star exhibit at lots of places later in 1982. I remember it being at Binbrook's show but I dunno where else it ventured.