http://www.airteamimages.com/30536.html

http://www.airteamimages.com/30535.html

Cheers,

Derek

Original post

Member for

21 years 1 month

Incident
We can confirm that an incident has occurred involving a TNT aircraft. The Boeing 737-300 aircraft, originally on route from Liege to Stansted Airport, was initially diverted to Nottingham East Midlands Airport due to problems with visibility at Stansted.

The pilot subsequently became aware of problems with the Aircraft undercarriage. This resulted in the Aircraft diverting to Birmingham and the Pilot declaring an emergency.

At 06:06, the aircraft landed. In line with operational procedures foam was used as a precautionary measure – no fire occurred.

There were two crew members on board and no passengers. No-one was injured.

As the aircraft is currently positioned on the runway, only a very limited operation can take place. The Air Accident Investigation Board is on site.

A shorter length of runway is available, which means that the airport can provide a limited service to airlines that use smaller aircraft. Other airlines will be making alternative arrangements for passengers.

Passengers should check-in as usual for departing flights. Some aircraft have been diverted to other UK airports, and airlines will be making alternative arrangements for passengers.

No further information is available at the moment.

The above is right on the front page of the airport website, but Derek you really managed to get the action as it were in those pictures. The situation could of been alot worse I guess. Causing havoc with arriving/departing flights though.

With runway 15/33 closed it look's like they are apparently trying to get runway 06/24 operational for Q400s and the like.

Member for

20 years 3 months

Hi

A Good job by the pilots by the looks off things. Also its good to here that both are safe. Looks like its going to take most of the day to move that aircarft of the main runway down there a BHX

So guys what the situation with all normal flights today. Are the based over night aircraft all stook on the ground and where are the others that are inbound diverting to???

Member for

21 years 1 month

I believe most of the BA arrivals are going to MAN/BRS with one or two going to EMA I think, most stuff are going to airports where they will have flights on the ground already I think.

CO/SK/LX etc to Manchester, WW/FR to EMA, I can't confirm all of this as they could be going anywhere. Interesting to see where the Air India will go if they don't clear the runway, can imagine LHR is preety 'full' this time of morning.

EDIT: Already answered my own question, according to the departures page the departing flight will be operating from LHR.

Member for

21 years 5 months

Hmm, I'm just trying to work out what might be able to use the cross runway? Its 1315m long, Belfast City has a runway length of 1800 and gets A321s out comfortably, so in that case does anybody know if FlyBe or Eastern have been able to get any of their flights out of BHX this morning for example?

Member for

21 years 1 month

Well according to BHX departures...

06:50 - LH 4907: Frankfurt/Departed (B737)
07:00 - LH 4919: Munich/Departed (RJ100)
07:10 - TOM 6917: Kefallinia/Departed (B757)
07:25 - FCA 3414: Faro/Departed (B757)

These flights have already departed after the incident and I've put what is most likely the aircraft type next to it, aswell as 06/24 maybe being used maybe there is a limited amount of runway available on runway 15 for departures aswell.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Im glad someone got pictures, especially from the very talented Derek :D
Surprised it picked BHX to land at, anyone shed any light on that?

Member for

21 years 1 month

By the way a head's up to any EMA spotters that the lunchtime Emirates flight to BHX is heading your way, it's appeared on either the arrival board.

Member for

20 years 1 month

15 is open for departures with reduced distances:

EDUCED DECLARED DISTANCES, RWY 15 AVBL FOR DEPS ONLY. RWY 33 AVBL LDG ONLY. RWY 15 TORA 1650M TODA 1775M ASDA 1650M LDA NIL. RWY 33 TORA NIL TODA NIL ASDA NIL LDA 1300M DEP ACFT REQUIRED TO BACKTRACK RWY 15 VIA HOLDS E1 OR T1. 15 JUN 07:46 UNTIL 15 JUN 15:00 ESTIMATED

Member for

18 years 8 months

Ouch that looks painfull!

Member for

20 years 6 months

Well I guess this guy won't be day stopping at EDI today then!

Member for

18 years 8 months

Seems like brums going to be disrupted for most of the day now. She aint going to be moved till later this evening.

Member for

19 years 9 months

I work for swissport at bhx, trust all the excitement to happen on my day off :(

Glad to hear the crew are ok :)

Member for

20 years 7 months

Also the Air India 777 is either at Ringway or on it's way.

Member for

18 years 10 months

Seems like brums going to be disrupted for most of the day now. She aint going to be moved till later this evening.

Thanks for that - didn't know that already

Also the Air India 777 is either at Ringway or on it's way.

Its diverted to LHR as far as I know

Member for

24 years 7 months

There is a rumour that a landing was attempted at EMA and the undercarriage problem that the crew became aware of was that a large piece of gear was left there.

I believe this is from Pprune so make of it what you will.

Moggy

Member for

20 years 7 months

Apparently, the runway is now clear

Member for

21 years 1 month

Just watched a report on BBC News, some amateur video footage from another pilot in another a/c of the aircraft touching down, the aircraft is parked at the end of 15 according to the report.

Don't know if it's still there....

Member for

18 years 9 months

Can anyone answer why they used BHX? I have just seen the BBC Local news for the East, and they are going on about 100`s of passengers delayed why th R/W is blocked. As it was a TNT flight with no PAX, and it must have been a guaranteed R/W closure once down, why pick a busy Intl airport?

Years ago when something like this happened inbound to any of the South East airports, Manston was always used for these sort of diversions. I know Manston is probably no longer suitable but what about other places, with much less knock on disruption?

Anyone know?

Member for

18 years 8 months

Well mate the thing we have to remeber is some people think that because stanstead is the UK's hazard airport (hijacklings, bomb alerts etc) that it should have gone there, but she got turned away from EMA so really brum was the nearest option and no one can predict whats going to happen to the aircraft when it lands, for all we know it could have just taxied in no problem.

Member for

20 years 3 months

First choice sent a B767 down earlier to operate the SSH flight