BHX Emergency Landing

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

21 years 3 months

I work for swissport at bhx, trust all the excitement to happen on my day off

Surely that's a good thing jasop. Must have been a nightmare for the ground staff at BHX today.

1L.

Member for

21 years 5 months

Can anyone answer why they used BHX?

No.....however.......overnight work at STN means approach aids/lighting significantly downgraded, high probability of diversion if fog about at dawn. LTN is the obvious alternate for STN, but this is closed overnight due runway work. That would make BHX/EMA the favourite alternates for STN.

Look at the speculation on pprune (yes I know we shouldn't really)...but allegedly an unsuccessful attempt at autoland in fog at EMA, allegedly causing damage to the aircraft. BHX CAVOK and 35 miles away, know where I would have gone at that stage.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Air India diverted to LHR,
Emirates diverted to EMA,
Continental diverted to MAN.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Surely that's a good thing jasop. Must have been a nightmare for the ground staff at BHX today.

1L.

Yes it was a nightmare for us!! Working on check-in! (working for Servisair).Horrible atmosphere and all the moaning!

Member for

20 years 2 months

Most logical explanation, based on all the heresay here and elsewhere, seems to me to be:

* TNT Liege-Stansted-Edinburgh elects to diver to EMA based on low vis (or reduced runway length, depending on who you believe) at Stansted, given that EMA is a TNT station

* EMA also low vis, but during an autopilot coupled approach at very low level the autopilot disengaged, resulting in a touchdown on the grass at EMA during which the right main gear was ripped off and damaged the flaps, followed by a pilot initiated go-around (this sounds like the most plausible explanation of the EMA part of the story to me, given that I find it hard to believe any crew would go that far below MDA without the runway in sight, or that the systems on the a/c would be that far off)

* Due to either (a) continued low vis at EMA and the previous problem and that BHX was CAVOK, or (b) concern about state runway at EMA due to previous go around and potential damage, crew elect to divert again to BHX, where they land without a right main gear resulting in the now familiar to most runway blockage.

Andy

Member for

18 years 11 months

What was the initial reason for diversion in this incident?

Member for

19 years 10 months

Surely that's a good thing jasop. Must have been a nightmare for the ground staff at BHX today

Yep seems your right, was back in fri morning and still suffering the knock on effects.

Talking to the lads n lasses they had a very hard time, lots of offloaded angry passengers (one swearing and demanding to know why there wasnt a second runway :confused: ) and were doing turn arounds all night

Member for

19 years 3 months

What was the initial reason for diversion in this incident?

Fog at Stansted seems to be the generally accepted version.