Giant scale Vulcan (4 turbines / 20 feet wingspan). Filmed in UltraHD/4K

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

9 years

Powered by four 160N engines and weighing 139 kg (300 pounds). This is up there with the biggest RC models. Flown by Dave Johnson of the Large Model Association (LMA), UK at the LMA Cosford Show

Original post

Member for

14 years 9 months

That's a very nice model.
I wonder what the regs say about flying such an aircraft bearing in mind an r/c model can go out of control a lot more easily than a real one.
Would hurt if that hit you on the head.

Member for

9 years

There is a large model aircraft approval scheme set out by the CAA and operated by the LMA for any model over 20KG. The design and construction of the model has to be reviewed and approved. On completion the model must be flown safely 6 times for 10 minutes to prove the model is airworthy and the pilot is able to fly it competently. Only that named pilot on the certification can then fly it at public shows.

Member for

14 years 9 months

Thanks for the info.
Is there a point at which a large scale r/c model is considered a real aircraft?
Or are they always just large models?

Member for

9 years

It IS considered a real but small aircraft passed the 20KG mark hence the LMA scheme. There is a max limit for RC aircraft. 150KG I think but I'm open to being corrected on that.

Member for

11 years 8 months

Was there not a LMA member who was building a large scale TSR 2 the fuselage of which was 28 feet long. I seem to remember photographs of it in his front garden in pieces. Did that ever become airborne ?