Printer/scanner/copier that does slides

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 8 months

Hi gang my printer/scanner/copier is playing up. It's about six years old, is used every day and I think I need a new one. Are there any that do all three jobs AND can scan slides? I know its asking a lot, but you guys will benifit by seeing my collection of out of focus, poorly lit and badly composed slides!!!!

Rgds Cking

Original post

Member for

18 years 3 months

CKing,

It depends on what you want to do with your scanned slides and negatives. If it's for posting on the web on forums like this, then a mid-range flat bed scanner with a slide and negative attachment will do the job perfectly well. I use an Epson 2480 which cost me about £65 a couple of years back, and I'm very happy with it as an all-round machine. If you want to PM me with your email address I can send you some sample images.
On the other hand, if you want scans of professional quality, then among the flat beds there seems to be a choice of three: the Canon 9950F, the Epson 4990 or the Epson V700. Shop around and the 9950F and the 4990 come in at about the £250/£260 level, with the V700 at £350-plus.
Run the names through Google and you should find plenty of reviews. From the descriptions I've read (and I'm thinking of buying one myself, which is why I've got the info at my fingertips) they come very close indeed to dedicated film scanners in the quality if scans and, of course, they are far more versatile. As far as the specification goes, there seems to be very little between the Canon and the cheaper Epson.
Canon have now dropped dedicated film scanners from their range in the belief that the 9950F will fill the gap.

Hope this is some food for thought,

William

Member for

18 years 3 months

Whoops! I've just re-read the question and realised you were looking for a three-in-one scanner/printer/copier.
To be honest I don't know whether there are any of the multi-purpose machines that do the lot plus slides and negs too - I've just had a trawl through the Canon, Epson and Hewlet-Packard sites and can't see anything. Anyone else know better?

William

Member for

20 years 2 months

Milti-purpose Printer

CKing.
I recently bought (6months ago) a CanonMP760 Multi printer. It dose all the paper copying you want, scans photos, special holder for both 35mm film and slides, and it has a special holder to print to printable disc, seperate ink tanks, and a receptical for several different data cards and will print direct from the card. Cost-$410:00 Aus.

Member for

19 years 8 months

Thanks chaps. I will put the canon on my christmas list. The good news is that after dismantling the Smartbase and removing the drinking straw my sons had hidden in it, IT WORKS again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It will have to be replaced soon as I have a few bits left over!

Rgds Cking

Member for

18 years 3 months

The good news is that after dismantling the Smartbase and removing the drinking straw my sons had hidden in it, IT WORKS again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I know the feeling. Our old VCR was never the same again after our then-toddler daughter fed a banana into it. The TV repair man said it wasn't the first he had seen like that....

William