A Fatal Fire on Admiral Kuznetsov

Read the forum code of contact

The Russian aircraft carrier Admiral Kuznetsov is having some problems in the Med, and we are only getting partial details...

The fire, lasting about two hours, was caused by a short circuit in the ship's wiring and the sailor died from smoke inhalation late on Tuesday, RIA news agency reported.

The accident occurred while the ship was docked in the Turkish port of Aksaz Karagac. It will stay in Turkey until Jan. 8 before continuing maneuvers in the region, RIA reported.

On Jan. 2, the Greek Defense Ministry said the carrier was due to carry out a series of military exercises near the islands of Rhodes and Crete from Jan. 3-11.
First, it is a tragedy anytime a sailor dies fighting fire on his ship. This is the second incident recently where Russian sailors have apparently died in accidents involving breathing equipment.

The first time it is a problem, the second time it is a pattern.

Some Russian news sources are suggesting a cargo aircraft (helicopter) caught fire on the flight deck during flight operations, and the sailor died while fighting the fire. According to the Russian news, the accident occurred during training exercises with Greece, and the aircraft carrier pulled into port in Turkey following the accident. It is unclear if the exercises will continue, or are continuing with other Russian naval vessels.

The pattern for Russian Navy stories lately has been that the information flow starts slow and is generally confusing early, and my read is the news is only 3-4 hours old. I expect some early reporting to be inaccurate before building momentum towards a clear picture of what happened.

In time, we'll know more.

Posted by Galrahn at 4:53 PM Comments | Trackback

Original post

Member for

19 years 11 months

Some Russian news sources are suggesting a cargo aircraft (helicopter) caught fire on the flight deck during flight operations, and the sailor died while fighting the fire.

How does a cargo helicopter suddenly catch fire?

Member for

19 years 11 months

Are the Greek airspace exercises over?

Member for

16 years 4 months

I assume they are referring to a KA-31 or even a KA-29. Engine fires do take place from time to time, even in robust vehicles like the KA-29/31 family. I believe they use the same powerplant as the Mi-8 Hip (TV3-117VM turboshafts I think??) and even those machines break down from time to time. It could also happen during a hot refuellling where the helo lands, keeps it's engines running and has a hose attached by a deck crew. Fires can often start in those kinds of circumstances.

Prayers for the ship's company and hopefully nobody else was hurt.

Member for

18 years 1 month

It happens.

Logan Hartke

Member for

19 years 11 months

It happens.

Logan Hartke

Freaky!

Member for

19 years 11 months

I assume they are referring to a KA-31 or even a KA-29. Engine fires do take place from time to time, even in robust vehicles like the KA-29/31 family. I believe they use the same powerplant as the Mi-8 Hip (TV3-117VM turboshafts I think??) and even those machines break down from time to time. It could also happen during a hot refuellling where the helo lands, keeps it's engines running and has a hose attached by a deck crew. Fires can often start in those kinds of circumstances.

Prayers for the ship's company and hopefully nobody else was hurt.

My first thought was "somebody was smoking" ....

Well, if you had a fuel leak? All you need is a spark...........:o

Member for

16 years

Same way your car can catch fire.. fuel leak, either tank or fuel lines or engine.

Member for

19 years 11 months

Same way your car can catch fire.. fuel leak, either tank or fuel lines or engine.

My car doesn't catch fire: I take care of my car.

Member for

24 years 8 months

Hot fueling is another area of concern for fires, one spark generated by static from down wash of the rotors can and has started fires aboard several vessels one that I can remember was a Wessex Mk-31B of the RAN aboard HMAS Supply back in the early 80's.

As for the video clip, I know the CH-46's used to have problems with fires like this, apparently they would over heat the engines during take off- especially in the Gulf or Med. Given the ambient outside temp being high and the Pilot revving the engines over standard procedure- next you know boom there's a fire. I saw it happen once and rather than try to put it out, the USN just pushed the helo into the drink, they said that the helo's are too old anyway and needed replacing.