EMALS Advantages

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 2 months

what are the advantages of the electromagnetic catapults?

Original post

Member for

19 years 11 months

Steam catapults are large, heavy, and operate without feedback control. They impart large transient loads to the airframe and are difficult and time consuming to maintain. The steam catapult is also approaching its operational limit with the present complement of naval aircraft. The inexorable trend towards heavier, faster aircraft will soon result in launch energy requirements that exceed the capability of the steam catapult.

Electromagnetic launch systems offers higher launch energy capability, as well as substantial improvements in areas other than performance. These include reduced weight, volume, and maintenance; and increased controllability, availability, reliability, and efficiency.

http://www.globalsecurity.org/military/systems/ship/systems/emals.htm
http://www.edn.com/article/CA207108.html
Or just google EMALS and ADVANTAGES

Member for

20 years 11 months

very practical and interesting technology. i wonder if EMALS can be scaled up to build, say, a multikilometer-long EM catapult / mass driver in Nevada or something for launching cheap single-stage-to-orbit spacecraft?

i see mass drivers like that in sci-fi series like the Gundam animes and it just looks like it might be possible soon.

Member for

20 years 2 months

Thanx Wanshan

Member for

19 years 9 months

I guess one of the major problems regarding the electromagnetic catapults is that they do radiate electromagnetic signals. This electromagnetic signals could theoretically negatively influence the communication systems, radars and other electronically systems. I suppose these catapults will be insulated against unwanted electromagnetic radiation.

Member for

19 years 4 months

The Global Security info is pretty comprehensive. Additional EMALS goals include an annual $1M life cycle cost reduction annually per unit and a 29% increase in delivered energy capability.