Iowa vs Yamato..who wins?

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

19 years 9 months

First time in here folks, tho I am on the Historic aviation forums ALL the time....who wins a battle between the Iowa class battleships and the Yamatos? Give me your reasoning why and how either ship would win...

Mark

Original post

Member for

24 years 6 months

How about the unfinished Montanas vs. the Yamato? Presuming the Montanas would be finished for the duel, unlike the USS Massachusetts vs. the Jean Bart. :)

Member for

20 years 11 months

ah...a variation of the old Kirov-vs-Iowa game. let the battle ensign be flown on the mainmast! flank speed!

could you post the specifications data of both ships from the web
to get things started ?

Member for

24 years 6 months

First time in here folks, tho I am on the Historic aviation forums ALL the time....who wins a battle between the Iowa class battleships and the Yamatos? Give me your reasoning why and how either ship would win...

Mark

Radar and speed favours Iowa class. :)

Member for

24 years 6 months

Iowa by virtue of her superior fire-control. Yamato's guns, despite being larger, offered a mere 2000yds range advantage over the US 16 inchers. The American fire control radar would have more than made up for an extra mile here or there at maximum stretch.

The Mk13 fire control radar of the WW2 Iowa was very capable and allowed for the battleship to undertake evasive maneuvers while maintaining a solution. The Yamato would never have gotten close to matching that kind of weight-of-shell actually on target.

Member for

20 years 6 months

I skimmed through my old Firepower magazine, it stated that the:

Yamato's 18.1 inch guns gave it a 48 km range
Iowa's 16 inch guns had 38 km range.

Is this correct?

Member for

24 years 6 months

Would the Iowa's main armor belt line be able to sustain a hit from an 18" shell? Who would win, if say, the Iowa's FCR were knocked out?

Member for

20 years 3 months

What was the secondary armament for the Yamatos? 20x5" Mk 38s for the Iowas, right?

Member for

24 years 6 months

Oh crap, I'm terribly sorry wowcow. I thought I hit the quote button, but I accidentally hit the edit button instead and deleted your post. :eek:

Here's the gist of what wowcow said; The Iowas would be able to sustain a hit from the Yamatos because they had a special steel. However, if the Iowa lost her FCR, then she would probably have to rely on her superior speed and maneuvering to get out of harm's way. The US Montana, had they been completed, would've been a better match for the Yamatoas, as their guns were heavier than those on the Yamato.

Member for

24 years 6 months

I skimmed through my old Firepower magazine, it stated that the:

Yamato's 18.1 inch guns gave it a 48 km range
Iowa's 16 inch guns had 38 km range.

Is this correct?

46 cm and ~41,4 km range, 1470 kg shell - 27 kn
40,6 cm and ~38,7 km range, 1225 kg shell - 33 kn

Member for

20 years 11 months

the USS massachusetts is actually moored in battleship cove in Fall river, massachusetts.
one can visit most of the innards though its quite confusing being self-guided. on the deck a shell that hit the jean bart at casablanca and penetrated 60' through many decks is kept. strangely enought the front part is pretty much intact, the rear part is deformed and partially melted away. Pretty impressive to stand next to the huge main cannons though..it was written each barrel weighed 90 ton
they even have some AA type gun nests fore and aft right infront of the main guns. hope nobody was there when those bad boys fired off !

Member for

19 years 10 months

well considering the us navy outgunned the yamato 10-1 in number of battle ships when it went suicidal, i'd say it's pretty obvious yamato would always have lost

there is little known about the accuracy of the 18 inch guns of the yamato, or it's manouvrability in combat, so anybody know where to get it?

Member for

20 years 9 months

Here is a site devoted to just that question..

Battleship Comparison

Looks at the best of each major player in WWII.

Member for

24 years 6 months

By comparison, the feared Tirpitz was a real pushover.

Thanks for the link Crusader.

Anyone have some good pics of the Richelieu?

Member for

24 years 6 months

What about the Salem CA with her automatic 8" turrets vs. the Bismarck?

Member for

20 years 9 months

What about the Salem CA with her automatic 8" turrets vs. the Bismarck?

I've always wondered about the Alaska/Guam vs the Gneisenau/Scharnhorst.

I have always loved the Alaskas, for some reason. Perhaps cause it was as close as we got to having battle cruisers in the US Navy.

Member for

24 years 6 months

I do have a really good book on the Musashi, Yamato's sistership. I'll pull some factoids from it this weekend.

Member for

19 years 9 months

I actually posted this same question of a different forum having to do with Japanese battleships and such about two years ago...the conclusions were much the same, that the Iowas would win the confrontation because of their superior fire control and rangefinding equipment and maneuverability, althought a good hit from an 18" shell could negate that advantage if it hit in the right place on the Iowa, so the ship would have to keep maneuvering and avoid the larger shells of the Yamato class...but the overall conclusion was that the Iowas would win...and MOST CERTAINLY had the Montana class been finished and in combat against the Yamatos, it would have been victorious also...

Mark

Member for

24 years 6 months

What about a near-miss from the Yamato? Could that damage the FCR on the Iowa?

Member for

19 years 8 months

Well it depends. Where the near miss was and what it knocked out!

Member for

24 years 6 months

The assumption about win is limited to an unreal 1:1 combat without any outside support. Next to this came the Bismarck/Prinz_Eugen:Hood/Prince_of_Wales encounter, when the superior British group lost.
When it comes to crusaders link about battle-ships ratings,
the Prince_of_Wales was superior to Bismarck and the battle-cruiser Hood much more to heavy-cruiser Prinz_Eugen, which was kept out of that battle.