RBS 23 BAMSE - hail and farewell!

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

17 years

As part of an a series of austere defence budget measures proposed by the Swedish government on 21 September, the planned deployment next year of the RBS 23 SAM system has been cancelled, and Sweden is expected to pull out of the proposed Multi-Role Combat Missile programme.

According to the story in Jane’s Defence Weekly, other casualties of the cuts include the proposed successor to the Visby class corvettes, and the TMS (torpedo, mine, sensor) modular underwater platform.

There is no mention of any cuts to the Gripen or Meteor programmes.

Mercurius Cantabrigiensis

Original post

Member for

19 years 1 month

What a shame, so much time, money and effort spent on this promising missile to date and now it's gone.

-----JT-----

Member for

18 years 11 months

BAMSE always resembled RBS 70 with an additional booster stage, and it is fairly shocking that it has taken this long to get the system deployed - not to mention the hardly unsurprising lack of export sales. There has been a dark cloud over this missile program for years, and only time will tell if there was a significant "technical factor" behind its cancellation, besides the very obvious commercial and political aspects of the failure.

The painfully slow Visby program has done well to survive at all, because despite the low observability facade, this program amounts to little more than a glorified fast attack craft, something that has been very unfashionable since the first Gulf War. The Visby successor program wouldn't have amounted to more than a modern minelayer with a nonsensical "disaster relief" tasking.

Member for

20 years 10 months

BAMSE wasn't competitive with systems like SA-15 or SA-22, or HUMRAAM.
It's survivability as a static system questionable.

Member for

19 years 1 month

I do agree that its a shame about the system, but to be honest, the project was pretty much doomed by being Swedish - i.e. very difficult to export. It is arguable that they would have been better off trying to develop a surface-to-air version of the Meteor. This would have had great export potential, and be a good rival for the SLAMRAAM or whatever they're calling it now... It could have been very attractive for nations like the Czech Republic and Poland as an SA-6 replacement.

Member for

19 years 1 month

In terms of Visby, I do like it, despite its shortcomings. It is a very Swedish vessel, being a well armed small ship, packing a good punch, and is basically the ultimate extension of the fast missile boat. It is pretty much restricted in sales chances to people with similar geography to Sweden, such as Baltic nations (might be good for Poland for instance, to replace old Soviet type missile boats), or Singapore. It does pack a lot of punch, and if the cost estimates I saw are accurate, it would be a pretty decent choice for quite a few smaller nations.

Member for

17 years

BAMSE wasn't competitive with systems like SA-15 or SA-22, or HUMRAAM.
It's survivability as a static system questionable.

This may not be a valid comparison. Most of the other missiles mentioned are essentially SHORAD systems. BAMSE was designed to provide air-defence coverage up to much higher altitudes – it has a maximum engagement height of about 50,000 ft. From memory of discussions I had with Swedish engineers early in the programme, it was essentially a replacement for the Raytheon Hawk.

I haven’t seen a reliable maximum engagement height for the SLAMRAAM and NASAM. This may be partly dependant on the quality of the air picture. For many users, an AMRAAM-based solution could well be the best present-day solution to the requirement that BAMSE was designed to meet.

One based on Meteor might have an impressive performance, but MBDA is showing no interest in such a concept. For a while, the company was looking at air-to-ground applications, but for the moment seems to be concentrating its efforts on getting the basic air-to-air version developed and into service.

Mercurius Cantabrigiensis

Member for

21 years

What might have been

In terms of Visby, I do like it, despite its shortcomings. It is a very Swedish vessel, being a well armed small ship, packing a good punch, and is basically the ultimate extension of the fast missile boat.

You mean, it COULD be a well-armed vessel – but right now the Visbys have nothing except an inadequate 57-mm/70 gun. They have no air defence missiles, no anti-ship missiles, no land attack missiles, no close-in defences at all – not even a 0.50-cal.

At the moment the Visbys are nothing more than glorified minehunters who would have a tough time escaping a couple of E-boats...or even a tank on a beach.

Until this changes, the Visbys remain a great answer in search of a question.

YS

Member for

19 years 1 month

You mean, it COULD be a well-armed vessel – but right now the Visbys have nothing except an inadequate 57-mm/70 gun. They have no air defence missiles, no anti-ship missiles, no land attack missiles, no close-in defences at all – not even a 0.50-cal.

At the moment the Visbys are nothing more than glorified minehunters who would have a tough time escaping a couple of E-boats...or even a tank on a beach.

YS

Now that the BAMSE is gone (and this was going to be the Visby's SAM) what missiles are being considered for this role?

-----JT-----

Member for

19 years 1 month

YS

I had a feeling they had already been fitted with the RBS-15 Mk2, and the Umkhonto had already been picked, though not ordered yet. I do agree that at the moment they have the potential to be well equipped, and reasonably well balanced ships, but may not be there yet.

It is certainly arguable that they are no worse for armament than most minehunters - they have a 57mm gun, and could have .50cals or GPMGs added very quickly. The problem is just the lack of funding to actually fit the necessary weapons, but at least they are being fitted for, but not with, a good fitout.

In some senses, they are actually like a mini Lafayette class! Not too heavily armed, but stealthy, and quite affordable.

Member for

19 years 9 months

In some senses, they are actually like a mini Lafayette class! Not too heavily armed, but stealthy, and quite affordable.

And in their current very lightly armed state, very upgradable.:D

Member for

17 years

I need to make a correction to my earlier report.

While doing some research on another topic, I found a story in ‘Jane’s Missiles & Rockets’ for November 2009 that makes it clear that although originally destined to be placed in storage rather than being deployed, BAMSE seems to have been granted a reprieve.

The first BAMSE unit completed its training in December 2008, and a second was due to complete its training by the end of 2009.

Member for

16 years 5 months

You mean it's actually in service?....