Read the forum code of contact

Member for

20 years 8 months

http://www.defensenews.com/story.php?F=588641&C=asiapac

Posted 01/07/05 10:21 Print-friendly version
---------------------------------------------------------
Taiwan Successfully Test-Fires Anti-Ship Missile: Report
By AGENCE FRANCE-PRESSE, TAIPEI

Taiwan has successfully test-fired its Hsiung Feng III supersonic anti-ship missile in a major military technology breakthrough expected to beef up the island’s defense capabilities against rival China, it was reported here Jan. 7.

The Taipei-based China Times cited defense sources as saying the military-run Chung-Shan Institute of Science and Technology had conducted “more than one” test-firing for the new missile after a decade-long development.

It said the first test was held in November in southern Taiwan, following several failures in the past two years due to engine problems.

Hsiung Feng III is believed to outperform China’s Russia-made SS-N-22 Sunburn supersonic anti-ship missile, the report said.

It said the missile, with a range of 300 kilometers (186 miles), was likely to be deployed along Taiwan’s eastern coast or offshore islands.

The defense ministry declined to comment on the report.

According to a report in Jane’s Defense Weekly last year, Hsiung Feng III’s propulsion system compromises a ramjet engine with a solid-fuel rocket booster.

The supersonic vehicle can be fitted with a variety of guidance systems and function as an anti-ship, land-attack or anti-radar missile.

Taiwan is striving to boost its missile defense capabilities to counter the military threat from China, which officials said is targeting the island with some 600 ballistic missiles.

In June, the cabinet approved a special budget of 610.8 billion Taiwan dollars ($18.2 billion) to purchase weaponry from Washington over a 15-year period starting in 2005.

The arms package, pending final approval by parliament, includes eight conventional submarines, a modified version of the Patriot anti-missile system and a fleet of anti-submarine aircraft.

The massive budget proposal has stirred heated debate on the island as critics said the spending could further provoke China and heighten cross-strait tensions.

Original post

Member for

19 years 10 months

I think their missile is a modification of enlarged Harpoon fit with ramjet system.The range has outperform sunburn but how abt the speed(sunburn 2.8 mach)? 1.4 mach can also be called supersonic.

Member for

21 years 1 month

The speed of the HF-III is said to be over Mach 2, probably M2.5.

Member for

24 years 8 months

another great accomplishment for taiwan's indigenous industries, although some foreign help is obviously involved.

the addition of this weapon will no doubt cause the PLA great headaches, as currently no-one in the world has a water-tight way of successfully interception such weapons, whether they are targeted against ships or land based targets.

i suspect the PLA will put extra emphysis on their AWACS programme to try and counter the missiles. and this might also give the PLAN more reason to build more 2208 types stealthy FACs and use them in the strait instead of their heavy surface combatents.

Member for

19 years 10 months

another great accomplishment for taiwan's indigenous industries, although some foreign help is obviously involved.

the addition of this weapon will no doubt cause the PLA great headaches, as currently no-one in the world has a water-tight way of successfully interception such weapons, whether they are targeted against ships or land based targets.

i suspect the PLA will put extra emphysis on their AWACS programme to try and counter the missiles. and this might also give the PLAN more reason to build more 2208 types stealthy FACs and use them in the strait instead of their heavy surface combatents.

2208 is currently mass produced and three r launch so far.Expect More r to come.

Member for

24 years 8 months

i meant more then already planned, but i do sincerly hope they dont over do it like they did with the early migs.

Member for

19 years 7 months

Taiwan's ramjet technology demonstrator

Attached is a photo (couple of years old now) of a mock-up of Taiwan's supersonic missile. The programme has been running for some time. I do not know how much the most recent missile configuration used in the latest test matches the photo below. Things have a habit being modified over a number of years as different configurations are tested.

Attachments