largest payload on nuclear weapons by 1 aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

15 years 2 months

Which aircraft can carry the most amount of nuclear weapons?
I'm guessing it will probably be the B-52 or the TU-160.
I am after the amount of nuclear weapons not the largest. If anyone knows types as well that would be good.
I'm probably going to make a chart to show the comparison between different aircraft. Number of bombs or missiles is fine.
I have read that the Tu-95 was going to be made to carry 16 missiles but that is wasn't developed and instead they stuck with the 6 missiles. Tu95M16 i think was the designation.
Most tactical aircraft only carried 1 or 2 but if someone thinks they can carry more please share it with us. Pictures would be great to.
Cheers

Original post

I am after the amount of nuclear weapons not the largest. If anyone knows types as well that would be good.
I'm probably going to make a chart to show the comparison between different aircraft. Number of bombs or missiles is fine.
I have read that the Tu-95 was going to be made to carry 16 missiles but that is wasn't developed and instead they stuck with the 6 missiles. Tu95M16 i think was the designation.
Most tactical aircraft only carried 1 or 2 but if someone thinks they can carry more please share it with us. Pictures would be great to.
Cheers

AFAIK the Tu-95MS16 did indeed enter service for a short time, with the MS6 being little more than an MS16 without external stores capability (which left only the 6-round rotary launcher in the internal bay). However, the MS16 was eliminated as part of arms reduction agreements.

The Tu-160 has probably the largest nuclear payload if you look at internal carriage only - 12 ALCMs. Theoretically, the B-52 should be able to load up to 20 though, 12 AGM-86s on its wing hard points and another 8 on an internal rotary launcher!

Member for

19 years 4 months

Pounds or numbers? Designed for or the numbers trimmed back by treaties?

Member for

24 years 8 months

Cheers

The Tu-95MS-16 was developed - and flew.

57 were built.

It carried 6 Kh-55 cruise missiles internally on a rotary launcher - plus another ten on underwing pylons.

The wing pylons were removed under the terms of the START-1 treaty - which limited the number of nuclear warheads to be carried by a single delivery vehicle.

The Tu-160 has two weapons bays - each of which can be fitted with a rotary launcher carrying six Kh-55s (or the longer range Kh-55SM) - making a total of twelve.

Ken

Member for

16 years 6 months

How about B-1?

Could carry and would carry need to to be considered. I belive the B-1 "could" carry 8 B-61 or B-83 on each of it's three rotary launchers. Total of 24.

The above comment on treaties applies here, and it would be more common to have a fuel tank in one of the bays, but if want an maximum number in theory load, I think the 24 is valid.

Member for

16 years

While no longer certified (or allowed under treaty restictions) to carry nuclear payloads, the B-1B could carry 24 B61/B83/SRAM internally plus a further 14 B61/B83/SRAM externally (for a total of 38 weapons).

While no longer certified (or allowed under treaty restictions) to carry nuclear payloads, the B-1B could carry 24 B61/B83/SRAM internally plus a further 14 B61/B83/SRAM externally (for a total of 38 weapons).

Oh yeah, the SRAM! The Russians don't seem to do strategic free-fall weapons, but they did have a nuclear Kh-15 variant - 24 of which would fit into a Tu-160 as well!

Member for

18 years 9 months

Looking at this thread and I can't but help think about the Tsar bomb dropped by the Tu95, now that is one big Nuclear Weapon!

Member for

19 years 4 months

Looking at this thread and I can't but help think about the Tsar bomb dropped by the Tu95, now that is one big Nuclear Weapon!

Or a B-36 with a pair of Mk17/24s. (Make one wonder how many 25 Mt Mk41s they could have fit onboard.)

Member for

18 years 9 months

Or a B-36 with a pair of Mk17/24s. (Make one wonder how many 25 Mt Mk41s they could have fit onboard.)

You know the really scary thing about the RDS-220 as the Tsar bomb was properly known as only had 50% of its design yield of 100megatons!:eek:

They used lead rather then Uranium tertiary stage (and possibly the secondary) reducing its yield.

Well I say reducing it's yield because when they tested it the weapon over performed with an approximate yield of 57megatons..ish!(depends where you do your research)

An amazing albeit totally unusable weapon system the full yield weapon of 100megatons could level urban areas in a zone 60 km wide, cause heavy damage in a zone 100 km across, cause 3rd degree burns in a region 170 km across (only a bit smaller than the width of West Germany) and eye damage to 220 km.:diablo:

Member for

18 years 9 months

Another thing, the American KC135 fitted out to monitor the test was scorched by the explosion:eek:it was so close to the test area!

Member for

24 years 8 months

B-1B could carry 24 AGM-69 SRAMs with dual yield W69 warhead. The SRAMs were carried on eight round rotary launchers with one launcher in each of the B-1B's three weapons bays. I've never seen the external pylons mounted for anything other than tests.

SRAM was de-certified by King George I in 1990 as part of the "Peace Dividend" reward to the Russians for the Berlin Wall. The B-1B was de-certified as a nuke delivery system by Billy Bl0wjob Clinton a few years later.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Another thing, the American KC135 fitted out to monitor the test was scorched by the explosion:eek:it was so close to the test area!

How'd it get THAT close? :confused:

Member for

19 years 4 months

You know the really scary thing about the RDS-220 as the Tsar bomb was properly known as only had 50% of its design yield of 100megatons!:eek:

They used lead rather then Uranium tertiary stage (and possibly the secondary) reducing its yield.

Well I say reducing it's yield because when they tested it the weapon over performed with an approximate yield of 57megatons..ish!(depends where you do your research)

An amazing albeit totally unusable weapon system the full yield weapon of 100megatons could level urban areas in a zone 60 km wide, cause heavy damage in a zone 100 km across, cause 3rd degree burns in a region 170 km across (only a bit smaller than the width of West Germany) and eye damage to 220 km.:diablo:

I sometimes wonder how much "boom" they could have got out of a Mk24-sized bomb with Mk41-level technology. The Mk17/24 was 15 Mt and weighed 42,000lbs while the Mk41 was 25 Mt at 10,000lbs or so. I wonder how much a full-up Tsar Bomba would weigh?

Member for

19 years 4 months

B-1B could carry 24 AGM-69 SRAMs with dual yield W69 warhead. The SRAMs were carried on eight round rotary launchers with one launcher in each of the B-1B's three weapons bays. I've never seen the external pylons mounted for anything other than tests.

SRAM was de-certified by King George I in 1990 as part of the "Peace Dividend" reward to the Russians for the Berlin Wall. The B-1B was de-certified as a nuke delivery system by Billy Bl0wjob Clinton a few years later.

IIRC the SRAMs were having problems with grain cracking in the motors and were due to be replaced by the longer ranged, smaller SRAM 2 (12 per rotary launcher). Which of course was cancelled. :mad:

Member for

20 years 2 months

B-1B with cruise missiles

As far as I can tell, the Bone was theoretically capable of carrying 16 AGM-129 (4 internally and 12 on six double external pylons). The B-1B could only carry 8 AGM-86B internally. Two AGM-86 were fired from a B-1B in 1987-1989 during integration testing. Don't remember which treaty prohibited the Bone from carrying cruise missiles though....

Member for

16 years 2 months

that meteorit thing doesnt look useless at all! scary! a 3000km supersonic cruise missile would be quite a headache to defence planning.

Member for

19 years

I would consider the B-1B with 24 SRAMs as one of the weapon systems that marked the peak of nuclear delivery technology. Such an aircraft can basically blow its way to the target. Getting targeted by a HARM is one thing, getting a SRAM on your radar dish is another issue.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Forgot to mention that the Soviet/Russians manufactured the largest cruise missile ever (Kh-20)
http://www.ausairpower.net/Kh-20-Kangaroo-Bear-C-2S.jpg
http://www.ausairpower.net/Kh-20-Kangaroo-Bear-C-1S.jpg

and the most powerful conventional bomb, the GPX 1109 Aka "Father of all bombs"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EiT7M3YwyU4

Kangaroo was a POS. Half the range, half the boom, and double the weight of a Hound Dog, not to mention it was a BEAM RIDER.