Hawk T2

Read the forum code of contact

When the Hawk T2 enters service in the training role will the Red Arrows, 100 squadron and FRADU continue using the T1 version?
Any articles I have read only mention the T2 as the RAF new training aircraft and there is no mention of other roles performs by Hawk aircraft. In the current climate I can imagine 100 squadrons duties been privatised or for it be operated in a similiar way to the FRADU using civilian pilots and engineers etc.

Original post

Member for

18 years 8 months

When the Hawk T2 enters service in the training role will the Red Arrows, 100 squadron and FRADU continue using the T1 version?
Any articles I have read only mention the T2 as the RAF new training aircraft and there is no mention of other roles performs by Hawk aircraft. In the current climate I can imagine 100 squadrons duties been privatised or for it be operated in a similiar way to the FRADU using civilian pilots and engineers etc.

I presume they will retain the T1 for the moment but it is a valid question! The fact is not many T2 are being purchased and the T1 is being retained in smaller numbers.

I have a hunch that whatever is purchased as a Tucano replacement will take up some of the work done by the Hawk now. Cetainly the PC21 under offer could do much of the syllabus now undertaken by the Hawk T1.

Member for

19 years 6 months

I presume they will retain the T1 for the moment but it is a valid question! The fact is not many T2 are being purchased and the T1 is being retained in smaller numbers.

I have a hunch that whatever is purchased as a Tucano replacement will take up some of the work done by the Hawk now. Cetainly the PC21 under offer could do much of the syllabus now undertaken by the Hawk T1.

Agree 100% but i hope they see sense and buy a light jet,I am very sceptical that the overall running costs for a turboprop are cheaper than a small jet.
Modern jets are so reliable and simple.

cheers BV

Member for

16 years 8 months

Spoke to Red 10 about this last year, and he seemed to think that the Reds would have first choice of the airframes being retired from Valley...

Zeb

Member for

15 years 8 months

I was chatting to a FRADU pilot last month and he said the unit could be losing their Hawks in 2012.

Member for

20 years 10 months

The ability of the T1 to download hours from EF2k-class frontline fighters is rather limited, and they don't offer a seamless training experience from basic trainer to frontline-doubleseater, like the T2 are designed to do.