Lockheed M-21

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

16 years 10 months

Reading about the Blackbird, I stumbled across an interesting piece of information-the M-21's J-58's were improved engines and produced 40000 lbs. thrust as compared to the SR-71 J-58's 34500 lbs. thrust:

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/m-21.php

First, how could they have made the J-58 make even more power?
Also, in clean configuration, would the M-21 have been able to fly faster than other "standard-engined" Blackbirds?

Original post

Member for

19 years 4 months

Also, in clean configuration, would the M-21 have been able to fly faster than other "standard-engined" Blackbirds?

No. The Blackbird wasn't limited by the power of it's engines but by engine temp and/or shock impingment.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Ah, that is a very good point. However, maybe it could have increased acceleration and range over the other Blackbirds.

Member for

19 years

Reading about the Blackbird, I stumbled across an interesting piece of information-the M-21's J-58's were improved engines and produced 40000 lbs. thrust as compared to the SR-71 J-58's 34500 lbs. thrust:

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/m-21.php

First, how could they have made the J-58 make even more power?

Static reference thrust at sea level tells you nothing about the actual thrust where it matters.
So stuff it.

Member for

19 years 1 month

It strikes me that the D-21 drone could have had potential, with major upgrades of course, as a sort of SR-71 replacement. With upgraded avionics and controls, it could have been put into service again, to replace it's more expensive cousin. Though satellites were the de facto replacements for the Blackbirds role, they lacked some of it's capabilities, especially regarding time sensitive recon. The D-21 was capable of launch from B-52 pylons, so there might have been potential for continued operations.

I know it would be expensive, and perhaps of dubious benefit, but I do feel that it could have been useful.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Static reference thrust at sea level tells you nothing about the actual thrust where it matters.
So stuff it.

Why would they have bothered if it didn't translate to more power at altitude? :rolleyes:

Member for

19 years 4 months

It strikes me that the D-21 drone could have had potential, with major upgrades of course, as a sort of SR-71 replacement. With upgraded avionics and controls, it could have been put into service again, to replace it's more expensive cousin. Though satellites were the de facto replacements for the Blackbirds role, they lacked some of it's capabilities, especially regarding time sensitive recon. The D-21 was capable of launch from B-52 pylons, so there might have been potential for continued operations.

I know it would be expensive, and perhaps of dubious benefit, but I do feel that it could have been useful.

Wouldn't have made a bad cruise missile either.

Member for

19 years

Why would they have bothered if it didn't translate to more power at altitude? :rolleyes:

Do you know if it really does have more power at altitude, or just again guesswork?

Member for

19 years 4 months

Do you know if it really does have more power at altitude, or just again guesswork?

I'd never read 40k. I have seen 34k instead of the usual 32k in several books though (Warbirdtech and Aerofax probably).

Member for

24 years 8 months

Increased thrust makes sense as it is carrying the heavy D-21 drone and has to be able to get up to Mach 3 for launch.

Member for

19 years 4 months

Increased thrust makes sense as it is carrying the heavy D-21 drone and has to be able to get up to Mach 3 for launch.

11,000lbs not to mention the drag associated with it.

Member for

24 years 8 months

I wonder if they jacked up the engine power to make up for the added drag caused by the decision to stop using the nose and tail covers for the D-21? They had problems getting them to separate in-flight so they stopped using them, likely causing the drag of the drone to increase during carriage.

Member for

16 years 10 months

Actually, they also turned on the D-21's engines while it was still on the M-21 and used its thrust to get to M3 more easily, which leaves me wondering why they would have still increased the M-21's thrust.