Western countries using Russian aircraft

Read the forum code of contact

Member for

18 years 4 months

What is the likelyhood of a 'Western' nation (UK, US, EU including Australia and New Zealand) ever being able to purchase a Russian aircraft for their AirForces?

I don't just mean the modern fighters but also transport aircraft and helicopters.

With several nations actively seeking replacements for aircraft purchased in the 70s and 80s is the purchasing of Russian aircraft a realistic option for these countries, will Vladimir Putin allow MiG, Sukhoi etc to sell their wares to them?

Or does America have such a strong grip on Western airforce equipment?

Original post

Member for

19 years 4 months

I think perhaps the answer to your question depends on what the Russians do over the next few years. There's no question that while Russia is still a generally friendly nation to the West, Putin has gradually turned down the temperature, so to speak. The major sticking point now (in my opinion) is that Russia continues to openly sell modern weapons to nations that are hostile to Western interests. Russia has that right, of course, but that makes it politically unpleasant for Western nations to do business with them as far as weaponry.

And now, we hear of a new arms buildup on the part of the Russians. Again, nothing inherently wrong with that. But depending on whether or not this increase in military strength is combined with a more confrontational attitude toward the West...I think that will ultimately determine the future for Russian aircraft in the Western market.

Just my opinion - I could be way off base.

Member for

20 years

US allready uses russian (ex soviet) stuff, such as An-225 (lease) , they have used various MIG family aircraft for agressor training etc !!

Member for

20 years

Austria did evaluate the Mig-29. During the reign of our former Chancellor Schröder (a personal fiend of Putin) it surely would have been possible for Germany to buy Russian aircraft. According to some sources the German secret service even provided intelligence to Russian forces in Chechnya. Now it's quite unlikely, though I would love to see some Su-34 replacing our Tornados. :D

Member for

24 years 5 months

Sikorsky helicopters, Kartveli-designed P-47s/F-84s/F-105s... There were plenty of Russian designs with the US throughout the Cold War. It's a bit less now.

Member for

19 years 2 months

Sikorsky helicopters, Kartveli-designed P-47s/F-84s/F-105s... There were plenty of Russian designs with the US throughout the Cold War. It's a bit less now.

Last time I checked Sikorsky and Republic were US companies :rolleyes: They are no more Russian aircraft than the Blackbird is Swedish.

Member for

24 years 5 months

Republic? Ah, yes, Seversky :D

Member for

24 years 6 months

The US navy already operates (or did operate) Russian equipment - in the form of the Boeing MA-31 Anti-ship target missile derived from the Zvezda-Strela Kh-31.

http://www.designation-systems.net/dusrm/app4/ma-31.html

http://www.softwar.net/kh31p.html

http://newsmax.com/archives/articles/2003/9/9/170025.shtml

Then there are all those space launches using a Russian engine...... :eek:

Ken

Member for

19 years 6 months

I seem to remember that last year AFM reported on US special forces using new MI-8/17 helos.

Member for

18 years 5 months

And let's not forget the vectored nozzle technology on the F-35, which was originally developed by Yakovlev in Russia (or even in the USSR) and then sold to the USA for adaption and production.

There might even be a few Ka-30 helicopters used for logging as well - certainly in Canada, if not the States.

Let's not forget all those privately owned Yak-52s, MiG-15s, MiG-17s, and even MiG-23s and MiG-29s I believe.

Also NASA's Tu-144D 'KonKordskii...

Member for

18 years 9 months

What is the likelyhood of a 'Western' nation (UK, US, EU including Australia and New Zealand) ever being able to purchase a Russian aircraft for their AirForces?

I don't just mean the modern fighters but also transport aircraft and helicopters.

With several nations actively seeking replacements for aircraft purchased in the 70s and 80s is the purchasing of Russian aircraft a realistic option for these countries, will Vladimir Putin allow MiG, Sukhoi etc to sell their wares to them?

Or does America have such a strong grip on Western airforce equipment?

Perhaps Russian export horizons will broaden, but recent events in London cast doubt upon Russia's future. Russia could potentially gain a toehold in defense exports to Western countries, but it is also possible that Russia could face sanctions and embargoes.

Member for

24 years 5 months

NASA leased the Tu-144LL

Various US companies lease An-124s for hauling freight (I see them here all the time)

The USN still uses the MA-31 drone

South Korea received T-80s and Kamov helicopters (albeit as a form of debt repayment)

Greece uses SA-8 and SA-15 SAMs and took delivery of the Cypriot S-300PMU-1s

Germany kept and integrated the MiG-29s

Mexico and Venezuela bought FLANKERs (albeit both of them are becoming more anti-Western/US)

Turkey seriously considered Kamov HOKUM helicopters for a bit (and may still do so)

A lot of Western nations have operated Russian hardware. It just depends on the requirements and the politics at the end of the day. For what it's worth, if you need a SAM system, you can't beat Russian hardware. Russian transport aircraft aren't a slouch either.

In New Zealand we have at least one Ka-32 and one Mi-8 doing logging work, but our biggest defence purchase for a while was for European medium Helos.

Personally I would have bought BTR-90s instead of LAVs and Mi-17s instead of NH-90s, and perhaps joint development of a new MPA... perhaps based on something the Russians might build to replace their BEARs...

major sticking point now (in my opinion) is that Russia continues to openly sell modern weapons to nations that are hostile to Western interests. Russia has that right, of course, but that makes it politically unpleasant for Western nations to do business with them as far as weaponry.

The likelyhood of the US buying Russian systems if Russia stops selling to Iran are so remote as to be laughable. It is not in Russia's interests to try to compete in markets that are already politically sewn up. It would be rediculous to even suggest such a thing. Even if Lada started producing the best cars in the world tomorrow there will always be a majority in the west that look upon them with scorn because of where they are made. Why bother just to earn brownie points in the west when the west is only interested in who is useful to them now. (either with us or agaisnt us).

Member for

18 years 3 months

Austria EF replacement the MiG-29

http://www.airpower.at/news06/1120_gebrauchte29er/sozialfighter-ecard.jpg

Member for

20 years 10 months

South Korea received T-80s and Kamov helicopters (albeit as a form of debt repayment)
... forgot Il-103s..

http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/mu_yeol_lee/rokaf_t-103/images/rokaf_t-103_4_of_7.jpg
http://data.primeportal.net/hangar/sang_h_chang/hh-32a_sar/images/hh-32a_sar_22_of_31.jpg

Member for

17 years 8 months

Although I agree in principle with the buying of Soviet made equipment, I feel the main stumbling block would be the certification process. If it surmounted that there would be political hurdles to face, like 'are we going to export jobs?', 'why can't we build it ourselves?' etc. and it would take a brave politician (how many do YOU know?) to say
" We are putting our armed forces at the top of the agenda, so we are buying the best equipment for them wherever it was built!" Great idea, but I can't see it happening.

Member for

18 years 11 months

didnt Finland operate MIg 21S., Poland opeated, operated MIGs

Member for

20 years 10 months

Another examples that come into my mind are Korean National Police Mi-172s, Colombian Army Kazan Mi-17MDs and Mil Mi-17-1Vs of the Turkish Paramilitary Police (Jandarma)

South Korea also received some Ansat helos from Kazan Helicopters, AFAIK. Who knows, with optional P&W engines on the Mi-38 they might get some (they are apparently quite satisfied with their Russian helos atleast) :)

Member for

18 years 8 months

didnt Finland operate MIg 21S., Poland opeated, operated MIGs

Finland is demonstrative neutral country. And i mean TRUE neutral, not just like Switzerland which is strongly leaning towards NATO. Poland was WARPAC, now they wouldnt buy even screwdriver from Russia. The only Western (NATO) country what recently really operates Russian equipment is Greek. But they always had a strong relations with Russia. So, to answer the questions, major NATO countries will not operate essential russian equipment in the forseeable future. The reverse is also true. Partially due to distrust, but mainly due to economical reason. EU countries will always prefer to buy off EU counry, USA will always prefer to buy from USA firms - and that already covers anything we call West.

Member for

18 years 10 months

No Western country will buy a fighter without getting some kind of industrial compensation. If Russia can offer that better than Western compitetors, there is a slight chance. But I doubt that. The time window is closing with Russian technology becoming increasingly outdated and Russian companies yet not fully integrated business entities. When Russia wants to sell aircraft to the West, they will come in conflict with technology proliferation.